E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tiling around my bathtub prep question

09-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Tiling around my bathtub prep question

I know someone in here has to have some knowledge on this, haha.

I'm currently redoing my bathroom (I enjoy projects like this), and just finished installing the bathtub. I am going with tile and cement backer board (.42"). My question deals with what to do about the tub lip and the backer board. I know you have to have the backer almost touching the rim of the tub (heard anywhere from 1/8" - 1/4" gap), but when I do this, it makes the bottom of the backer board jut out in the amount of the thickness of the tub lip. I have two options; get 1/8" (or so) strips and build the wall out so it is plum and not jut, or notch the bottom of the backer board so it will go around the lip of the tub and again not jut out.

Any opinions from someone who knows what they're doing? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I personally have not done this, but I do lots of DIY project and the Master Bath is next on the list. Anyway it is better to make sure everything is square, so I would put furring strips on the 2x4 to make sure the cement board over laps the tub the same amount all the way around. This is reason it is better to spend the time to make sure the walls are square and everything fits right since trying to fur out wall board is not easy, i have done that before.
Appreciate 0