E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > So my post grad destination might be San Diego

02-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

So my post grad destination might be San Diego

I am currently going to school at Penn State. I am on an Active Duty scholarship in Army ROTC. I am going to be switching that over to a NG scholarship. I contacted a recruiter in San Diego about finding me a slot in a National Guard unit in San Diego. I will be drilling/going to school here but I will belong to the CA National Guard. Hopefully I will find a job out there before or right after I graduate, I'm kinda winging it but what the hell right? With any luck my Penn State BA or BS along with a Commission as an Officer in the Army National Guard will make me a good candidate for finding a decent job out there considering how frigging expensive it is to live there. Nothings official yet but I am pretty sure I will get what I want in terms of being assigned to a unit out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Congrats ...You will love it there and will never move anywhere else for the rest of your life.... Or your money back
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i evny you. i want to move out there after i graduate for 3 reasons:

-the women
-the weather
-cannabis
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Dude check this out. Since you are going to be in the NG, you should think about going AGR (full time NG). Basically it's like being active duty except you stay in California. The benifit of going AGR is that you will get paid BAH (basic allowance for housing). The BAH rate varies from region to region in accordance to the cost of living of where you happen to be. I'm sure that San Diego is going to have a high rate for BAH which is also tax free. There are other allowences that you would also get tax free.

You as a 2nd LT might have a base pay of $2,xxx or whatever it is these days which will be taxed. All additional pays that you may receive are not taxed. So on paper you might only make $2,xxx when in actuallity you will be making $4,xxx.

Holla if you got questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

I heard that San Diego was pretty piss poor in relation to the small amount of good jobs it has.

Outside of the great weather and beautiful women...your trying to move into a state that is dead broke, will probably be raising taxes (in an already highly taxed state), and as a poor economy and barely any jobs.

I wouldn't "wing it" there.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
I heard that San Diego was pretty piss poor in relation to the small amount of good jobs it has.

Outside of the great weather and beautiful women...your trying to move into a state that is dead broke, will probably be raising taxes (in an already highly taxed state), and as a poor economy and barely any jobs.

Sad, but true.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post

Hatorade drinker? ...Don't listen to him, Dude.

Being a happy beach bum is always the best and an always available job opportunity here
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

First off, please don't get a BA. Get a BS, 2nd off good luck. Jobs are hard to come by especially in So-cal

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

You'd be better off going elsewhere. The weather totally sucks. There are no good looking women to be found. Crime is out of control. The zoo is lame. Fish tacos are the only half decent food. Besides, sun never shines here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have to live in San Diego... my unit would just be there. I could live as far away as I feel like driving to drill.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

What is with people hating on San Diego? or Cal in general?
Appreciate 0