E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Cops and 20-30 yr olds.

01-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
danchandroos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Cops and 20-30 yr olds.

Ok, so i think cops just pull over 20 yr olds in bmw's for fun. Just because they can.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yep
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchandroos View Post
Ok, so i think cops just pull over people in bmw's for fun. Just because they can.
Fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

WHY??!?! o well im safe , Fortunately Im still in the teens
      01-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

$100 says you got pulled over recently.

It is true that young people driving flashy cars of any kind are targets for "extra" policing. That is just how it is. Cops don't remember the jerk they pulled over in a Camry but a jerk 19 year old in a 50k car leaves an impression. When they see you, they remember every jerk they pulled over in a nice car.

Try to minimize the way your car stands out (to a point).

Tints are illegal in a lot of states yet quite a few people here are in love with them. Just don't do it or do something like 35% that will make the car look nicer while not making the car a magnet for enforcement. Remember, if they pull you over with 5% they aren't hassling you. They caught you breaking the law; you are beat.

Try not to be tacky with the wheels

No silly license plates that remind the world that you are cool and they are not.

No thin blue line or PBA stickers/junk. They only piss off cops. If you have a legit PBA card that's fine but be classy about handing it over.

Remember, actual drug dealers like flash cars with deep tint and rimz too. Drug dealers put bullets into officers from time to time.

IF you get pulled over:

All windows down all the way

All lights on

Key out of ignition and on the dash, all electronics/audio off (not turned down)

Hands glued to the steering wheel

Your glove box should have registration, ins card, nothing else except flashlight, tire gauge, stuff clearly not illegal (not that ours fits anything else) once you open that glove box the officer has the authority to search it without your permission so the less in there the better. He also has the right to take the flashlight to the visible parts of the interior so keep it clean (not a problem for us probably)

When asked for the docs tell the officer/trooper where they are located and ask permission to get them, then go at 1/2 speed.

If license is in pocket, see above but use thumb and pinky to grab wallet. This shows the officer you cant be using a grip that could go for a gun/knife. On that note, if you have a CCW/CWP comply with your state's must notify guidelines if they exist.

Use correct titles (trooper, officer) or sir ma'am works good too

Let them have their power trip for 30 sec. After all, you are a kid in a great car. In the end you win hands down ticket or no.

Your mileage may vary but the above got me out of quite a few tickets that were deep into the arrest range. These things are mostly for officer safety and to show that you are a good guy. The officer's demeanor usually becomes a lot more friendly nice car or not once he realizes that I won't hurt him

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT II View Post

It is true that young people driving flashy cars of any kind are targets for "extra" policing. That is just how it is. Cops don't remember the jerk they pulled over in a Camry but a jerk 19 year old in a 50k car leaves an impression. When they see you, they remember every jerk they pulled over in a nice car.

Tints are illegal in a lot of states yet quite a few people here are in love with them. Just don't do it or do something like 35% that will make the car look nicer while not making the car a magnet for enforcement. Remember, if they pull you over with 5% they aren't hassling you. They caught you breaking the law; you are beat.

No silly license plates that remind the world that you are cool and they are not.

No thin blue line or PBA stickers/junk. They only piss off cops. If you have a legit PBA card that's fine but be classy about handing it over.

IF you get pulled over:

All lights on
Key out of ignition and on the dash, all electronics/audio off (not turned down)
Your glove box should have registration, ins card, nothing else except flashlight, tire gauge, stuff clearly not illegal (not that ours fits anything else)
When asked for the docs tell the officer/trooper where they are located and ask permission to get them, then go at 1/2 speed.
If license is in pocket, see above but use thumb and pinky to grab wallet. This shows the officer you cant be using a grip that could go for a gun/knife.
Let them have their power trip for 30 sec. After all, you are a kid in a great car. In the end you win hands down ticket or no.

Your mileage may vary but the above got me out of quite a few tickets that were deep into the arrest range.
+1,000,000

This really does work. It has helped me get out of four tickets in nine months including reckless driving, and I am a young guy too
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:

IF you get pulled over:

All lights on
Your glove box should have registration, ins card, nothing else except flashlight, tire gauge, stuff clearly not illegal (not that ours fits anything else)
If license is in pocket, see above but use thumb and pinky to grab wallet. This shows the officer you cant be using a grip that could go for a gun/knife.

Your mileage may vary but the above got me out of quite a few tickets that were deep into the arrest range.

+1

And don't forget that cops are just people like you and me. They just happen to carry a badge and many other toys that they can legally use. (I've got lots of friends who are cops and some who drive expensive cars too).

A lot of times, they might pull you over because something is suspicious. When I was 20 (and most of my friends too), none of us had nice cars because we couldn't afford it while we were still jobless and in school. No offense made to you but remember that most people <20 (not really under 30 anymore) cannot afford to drive a nice car unless they either have rich parents or they're drug dealers. If they pull over a rich parent's kid, then there's no harm but if they pull over a drug dealer, it's a huge bust. (one drug dealer off the streets is a huge gain for the public)

They're not calling you a criminal, they're making sure criminals are off the street. If you live lawfully, this shouldn't bother you at all. (and a lot of times if they realize you're not a criminal, they'll let you off without a ticket and just a warning)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
3pnt4maro
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I

here is an ironic situation....as some of you know...I'm a police officer as well and I drive a BMW....thats like a really big no no (I'm only 23) where I work...the guys at work give me hell about it...but I dont really ever make it a habit to stop young people in BMW's, and I have only been stopped once in my home town by one of my buddies who didnt recognize my car....

good stuff
      01-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

cops will always target people in flashy or modded cars because of stereotyping

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #10
BruinMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 TiAg 335i Coupe

Cops hate me. I get pulled over about once a month and they're usually real assholes, probably because I'm asian. So in return I have no remorse when I make their lives difficult.

Like an officer once said to me, "I'm only doing my job"
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinMD View Post
Cops hate me. I get pulled over about once a month and they're usually real assholes, probably because I'm asian. So in return I have no remorse when I make their lives difficult.

Like an officer once said to me, "I'm only doing my job"
Maybe they're real assholes because you're one? I'm Asian and I've had no trouble with cops when I've given them their due. When I was younger and a bit more rash, it was quite different, though.
      01-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:

Remember, actual drug dealers like flash cars with deep tint and rimz too. Drug dealers put bullets into officers from time to time.

IF you get pulled over:

All lights on

Your glove box should have registration, ins card, nothing else except flashlight, tire gauge, stuff clearly not illegal (not that ours fits anything else) once you open that glove box the officer has the authority to search it without your permission so the less in there the better. He also has the right to take the flashlight to the visible parts of the interior so keep it clean (not a problem for us probably)

If license is in pocket, see above but use thumb and pinky to grab wallet. This shows the officer you cant be using a grip that could go for a gun/knife. On that note, if you have a CCW/CWP comply with your state's must notify guidelines if they exist.

Your mileage may vary but the above got me out of quite a few tickets that were deep into the arrest range. These things are mostly for officer safety and to show that you are a good guy. The officer's demeanor usually becomes a lot more friendly nice car or not once he realizes that I won't hurt him
very true,excellent advice to all.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

No.

I am 30 and I have only gotten one moving infraction once since I have had my license since 18, and I deserved that one. I look few years younger than my age but I have never been harassed by cop.

Show them respect and most will return in kind. These are not sophisticate folks who play mind games. Heck, they aren't even detectives. They are doing street patrols, and they are your typical A personality or (alpha) male. If drive with a chip on your shoulder they will pick it up right away. You can't fight them and win less you have a trump card, ie you are the DA, FBI or have a relative name Sarah Palin. Most of them want to protect and serve.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #14
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Sorry Dude, I enjoyed reading that - but it is just plain BS if you live in Los Angeles. Whether or not you get a ticket has more to do with the type of day an officer is having.If he/she is having a bad day, even Mr. Rogers is getting a ticket. If they are a traffic cop and behind on the quota, you're getting a ticket. Tickets are a huge part of the revenue stream, I've been ticketed and was totally pleasant, followed all the rules
because that is how I was raised - but I was speeding and got a ticket - my fault not his.

There is no golden rule, if you get away from getting a ticket good job, but pure chance.

These rules are better suited to making sure that you don't get shot because of erratic movements.

Quote:

IF you get pulled over:

All lights on

Last edited by Houman21; 01-25-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
BruinMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 TiAg 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Maybe they're real assholes because you're one? I'm Asian and I've had no trouble with cops when I've given them their due. When I was younger and a bit more rash, it was quite different, though.
Haha, you're right! I am one! But how do they know that before they even talk to me?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #16
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinMD View Post
Haha, you're right! I am one! But how do they know that before they even talk to me?
Vibes. Body language. One can spot that three miles away.
      01-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #17
sailvi767
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95BMWM3(full Dinan) 2007 Z4MC

Go for a ride along in a police car. I suspect you will find it a eye opening experience. The vast majority of traffic stops a police officer makes he has no idea who is driving the vehicle until well after he has pulled the car over. The choice to pull the car over is based on either a clocked speed or observing how the car is being driven from a distance. If you feel you are getting harrassed by the police perhaps instead of bitching about it you need to look at how you drive! Do you accelerate rapidly from light to light. Do you make multiple lane changes rapidly. Are you always trying to pass or swerving in and out of traffic trying to save 3 seconds. Do you tailgate. Do you have a car with illlegal modifications, illegal tint or a illegal very loud exhaust? All of the above decide if you get harrassed by the cops.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
Izzman7995
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Drive/Mod LEGALLY and RESPONSIBLY, and you won't get pulled over
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Had my 350z for 5 years and never got pulled over. Had the 335i for 3 months, nothing yet. We'll see.

Would like to add that I never modded either.
      01-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #20
mbmbm&w
6407-5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 Montego Blue & Terra

Gosh, I still have fantasies about cops pulling me over just for fun. Flashing lights, the night stick, shiny black boots, the mirrored glasses, you know - the whole uniform thing. "OK, out of the car, up against the hood . . . " You think I'd be over it by now.

Oh, wait. I reread the post and I think we're talking about different things here. Never mind.

My other car is a '64 Rambler American 440 Convertible.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
WHY??!?! o well im safe , Fortunately Im still in the teens
haha just turned 20, time to get pulled over
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchandroos View Post
Ok, so i think cops just pull over 20 yr olds in bmw's for fun. Just because they can.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0