E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2010 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

10-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #111
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I'd presume the races would have to be a week apart, no? At least the teams would save on travel/shipping expenses. But they'd have to know NOW to make plans, since they have to start shipping crap like a week before at least, no?

Hey, nobody took a crack at my questions on the previous page ? Oh well. Will look for a more active board on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #112
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I'd presume the races would have to be a week apart, no? At least the teams would save on travel/shipping expenses. But they'd have to know NOW to make plans, since they have to start shipping crap like a week before at least, no?

Hey, nobody took a crack at my questions on the previous page ? Oh well. Will look for a more active board on this.

I answered your last question already - look above for my response.

In regards to insuring the cars or who pays for them, I have absolutely no idea. Likely the only people who would have the answer to that would be F1 insiders, sadly. My best guess? Racing incidents/accidents are not insured.

If an F1 driver crashes, I highly highly doubt they pay for any of the damages at all. If that was the case, F1 would look not too different from a bunch of old farts taking their beloved convertible Ferraris for a Sunday morning cruise . These cars are hideously expensive. The steering wheel alone costs half of the price of an M3! Most drivers have performance clauses, so at worst they might get docked some of their pay for not meeting their expectations, or simply not signed again when their contract is up. Most likely, the reality is that drivers have some sort of base pay, and then they receive some bonuses for their performance. From what I understand though, these bonuses are quite small compared to the past.

I can't answer your Korean GP question since I don't live there and have as much insight as anyone else on this board.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #113
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

And if you're looking for more information on this, try jamesallenonf1.com

There are plenty of articles on the inner workings of F1, which you might find interesting. James (ex ITV commentator) replies to many people's personal comments/questions, as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #114
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Damn, just 3 (or 2?) more races for MW to DNF . Man, 2 cars retired for falling wheels (RK and NR) is ridiculous. Guess they're going to track who installed them and fired them, no?

Hey gang, have a few stupid questions:
-What's the deal with car damage when someone else clearly causes the accident, like Masa today? Do teams go after one another, or their insurance companies, or everybody takes care of their damaged car whatever the reason of the accident?
Teams just rebuild/repair whenever they can.
Not sure the details, but I believe FIA/FOM will make sure the teams are financially healthy to take care if their own accidents....or something similar to that. With such an high-risk sport, I do not think there's any insurance agency will insure a Formula 1 car...

- By the same token, when it's driver stupidity, are they financially responsible in any way to the team? Just curious.
Drivers are not responsible per-se...but it shows what caused the accident...
lack of skills? pushing too hard? mech failure? racing indicent? etc etc...
But crashing too much without a good purpose (like petrov)...might lose a driving seat for next season...

-Why can all cars get new engines in Abu Dhabi (last race)??? So they don't break down on the last race?
Not too sure, since i cannot find the reasoning behind this from F1 websites...
-Is Korea going to be ready? Any Koreans that can give us a real answer? Please say yes . And what happens if not? Would it be postponed or just canceled?
We wish Korean GP is a go. But this all depends FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting's report this Wednesday. He should finished inspection of the race track (corner to corner) on Monday.
As far as teams concern, things are still going to ship to Korea as planned. They do not alter their travel plan just because there's a slight unknown.

Finally, I think Kubica would be right on top with the right car; it'd be great if Ferrari gets him, and see him kick FA's ass . And Rosberg wouldn't be too far behind. I like that kid. Did you hear his answer when asked what he needed to win? 'A Redbull car' Ha ha. He immediately retracted the comment saying he was joking. A pretty good joke indeed, but I bet MB wasn't laughing.
      10-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #115
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Agree that Kobayashi was simply amazing. Great to see a Japanese racer not dive bomb and crash Kamikaze style. He's got skillz. Put him in a competitive car please
      10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #116
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Thanks for the answers folks . So when LH threw the steering wheel to the floor a couple of races ago, he flushed 30 grand ?

Hey, was watching a Speed program while exercising, and saw the new IRL car (2012); looks amazing. Rather than looking like a mini F1, will look a lot better IMO. No more rear wing; looks like they'll generate downforce by the shape above the rear wheels. Probably not enough for F1 levels (sadly), but at least they'll be unique looking again .
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #117
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the answers folks . So when LH threw the steering wheel to the floor a couple of races ago, he flushed 30 grand ?

Hey, was watching a Speed program while exercising, and saw the new IRL car (2012); looks amazing. Rather than looking like a mini F1, will look a lot better IMO. No more rear wing; looks like they'll generate downforce by the shape above the rear wheels. Probably not enough for F1 levels (sadly), but at least they'll be unique looking again .
That's cool, but IMO CART/IRL has irreversibly gone down the toilet. It's really sad - there were so many great drivers in CART back in the day (Nigel Mansell, JP Montoya, Villeneuve [eh], Andretti, Fittipald...) . I have alot of great memories seeing these guys and others live in action at Long Beach and Laguna Seca, but it seems like around the time Mansell left, the whole thing started crumbling, and was coincidentally around the time I became interested in F1!

Hmm, Long Beach...why didn't F1 choose that instead of Austin?? It's short but fast, and is usually a pretty exciting race.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #118
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Another comment - did anyone else find it shocking that Suzuka might get dropped in the future??

Apparently, crowd numbers have been pretty awful. I wonder why that is - it's a beautiful venue, a great track, and despite being narrow, it usually provides a great racing spectacle. It doesn't make sense to me how a track like this could be dropped, but a snorefest like the Hungaroring or Valencia is packed and kept on the calendar!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #119
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the answers folks . So when LH threw the steering wheel to the floor a couple of races ago, he flushed 30 grand ?.
Neh...that got a bit damaged and can be repaired...or use it in Winter Testing...or Demo car in city-promotion events....
plus it only dropped on the floor like i dropped by iphone...
not like Rubens threw it in Monaco and got dragged 2/3 of the track by two HRT cars....
      10-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #120
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Another comment - did anyone else find it shocking that Suzuka might get dropped in the future??

Apparently, crowd numbers have been pretty awful. I wonder why that is - it's a beautiful venue, a great track, and despite being narrow, it usually provides a great racing spectacle. It doesn't make sense to me how a track like this could be dropped, but a snorefest like the Hungaroring or Valencia is packed and kept on the calendar!
crowd numbers means nothing....as long as the venue can fork up the $$$ to FOM (cough....Bernie....) the event can have empty stands and keep running for years....

nice tracks like Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka, Interlagos, Montreal are constantly being threatened to be dropped out of the F1 calender by FOM because of the facility or contract $$$ amount.....
      10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #121
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Hmm, Long Beach...why didn't F1 choose that instead of Austin?? It's short but fast, and is usually a pretty exciting race.
Because the organizers backed away with the amount of money FOM requested to host an F1 event.....
      10-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #122
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Because the organizers backed away with the amount of money FOM requested to host an F1 event.....
Or maybe because the only track in the US that fits the FIA standards for an F1 track is Indy. To get a road course here, it has to be purpose built. No tracks are up to safety regs. there are regulations about length of run off, etc. and Long Beach doesn't not comply. Monaco only exists because of it's history.

More info here:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/836F796BA4CA12B2C1257759005F6B46/$FILE/10.07.07_Annexe%20O%202010%20.pdf
      10-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #123
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Or maybe because the only track in the US that fits the FIA standards for an F1 track is Indy. To get a road course here, it has to be purpose built. No tracks are up to safety regs. there are regulations about length of run off, etc. and Long Beach doesn't not comply. Monaco only exists because of it's history.

More info here:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/836F796BA4CA12B2C1257759005F6B46/$FILE/10.07.07_Annexe%20O%202010%20.pdf
If Long Beach is ever going to held another F1 race, it will need to refurbish a lot! like run off areas on most corners, road surface, pit garage, pit lane, etc etc....I don't think California or the County or the city will fork up that kind of money while the indy car is running alright....