E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW Team RLL COTA results

09-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMW Team RLL COTA results

BMW Team RLL finishes sixth and seventh.

BMW Team RLL finished sixth and seventh in the Lone Star Le Mans race at Circuit of the Americas, in Austin, Texas, the penultimate round of the 2014 United SportsCar Championship.

Bill Auberlen and Andy Priaulx finished sixth in the black number 55 BMW Z4 GTLM, completing 75 laps of the 5.513 kilometre, 20-turn circuit at the chequered flag after the 2 hour 45 minutes race. John Edwards and Dirk Müller finished seventh in the white number 56 BMW Z4 GTLM.

The cars qualified sixth and seventh, but Edwards started the race from fifth and Priaulx from sixth after the GTLM class polesitter was disqualified following technical inspection. There was just one yellow flag in the race on lap 21 after Edwards ran wide in turn 19 and the Astroturf ripped off his car’s rear bumper. For the majority of the race the number 56 car led the number 55, but with two laps to go Priaulx overtook Müller for sixth position.

In the GTD class, the Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 GTD of Dane Cameron and Markus Palttala, racing in the team’s 300th professional race with BMW, finished third.

Bobby Rahal (Team Principal, BMW Team RLL):
“This was the race we expected and I was afraid might happen. The Porsches were almost two seconds a lap faster on the fastest laps, the Vipers not much worse. We just cannot maintain the pace with the way the rules are. I hope things are better at Petit Le Mans, as they are very unfair right now. There is no balance of performance.”

Bill Auberlen (Number 55 BMW Z4 GTLM):
“I had just a tough little run there in the middle. That is why you have a second guy you can rely on. When it was a struggle for me they put Andy in, they put him on a different tyre than I had run and he did a fantastic job, exactly what you would expect from a world champion. You lean back and you just let him do it. The crew got us out of the pits over and over in front of other cars all day long. The two BMWs raced to the end and we finished pretty much nose to tail. We need a little bit of help to get to the front. The series has let it get out of hand with the Balance of Performance, as we are nowhere and they need to fix this before the last race.”

Andy Priaulx (Number 55 BMW Z4 GTLM):
“It has been a tough weekend, but we knew it was going to be really hard. Bill and I had two really tough first stints. The tyre we chose clearly wasn’t right for the conditions. Bill was up to speed nicely and brought the car back in a really good position. He helped the team with feedback to give me the right tyre for the last run, and that’s what made the difference.”

John Edwards (Number 56 BMW Z4 GTLM):
“We expected a hard day at the office, and it really was. It is really tough to keep pushing in such hot conditions when you are sweating like crazy and you don’t have the pace, but that is what we have to do. By the time Dirk got in there was very little rear downforce and that made it pretty tough to drive on cold tyres.”

Dirk Müller (Number 56 BMW Z4 GTLM):
“That was an exciting drive doing a double stint with no rear bumper. I had lost all the downforce at the rear of the car and had to drive like a rally driver. I was fighting like crazy. I knew Andy’s car he was coming hard at the end. It reminded me of the good old touring car times. We raced clean and I think that is how you should make it between team mates.”

(bmw-motorsport)

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-21-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Great pics!!!!! I wonder why does the Rahal-Letterman Z4's look a bit different than the Turner Z4. Specifically the back end flares.
      09-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Great pics!!!!! I wonder why does the Rahal-Letterman Z4's look a bit different than the Turner Z4. Specifically the back end flares.
The wing mirrors are noticeably different too
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Great photos. I'll watch the race on replay on Tudor YouTube channel this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
The wing mirrors are noticeably different too
Rear wings and rear window are also different (Turner window has straps and narrower/shallower wing).
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Tony717
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Turner Z4 is a GT3 car modified (doesn't have ABS or other electronic aids found in other GT3 cars) to run in the GTD class while the Rahal Z4 built specifically to run in the GTLM class (where the Corvette C7.R, Dodge Viper, and factory Porsches run).

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

it was pretty apparent in this race how much more of an advantage other teams have.... sad to watch... once again i miss this series when it was ALMS not TUDOR...hope to see a change next month
      09-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Crazy how much the performance adjustments IMSA made to the Vettes have hurt them. It seems like they went overboard. They just couldn't have Corvette Racing with three championships in a row, now that would be unfair. They went from fighting for wins, to near the back of pack. It is one thing to even the playing field, but they just killed any chance for them compete for a win, let alone a championship. SRT will win the championship, it was obvious a few races back. Their straight line speed is unmatched.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Crazy how much the performance adjustments IMSA made to the Vettes have hurt them. It seems like they went overboard. They just couldn't have Corvette Racing with three championships in a row, now that would be unfair. They went from fighting for wins, to near the back of pack. It is one thing to even the playing field, but they just killed any chance for them compete for a win, let alone a championship. SRT will win the championship, it was obvious a few races back. Their straight line speed is unmatched.
to be honest i dont think it had anything to do with them winning 3 in a row. if anything the series supports chevy more then any manufacturer as chevy is one of the largest supporters of the TUDOR SERIES...just my 2 cents