E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Should sections of our interstate system be free of speed limits?

08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
For some thrill-seeking enthusiasts, the answer may be a resounding "yes". Those with safety in mind, however, may have more than a few reservations...

After discussing this topic with a friend, I decided to do some research. Here are some studies with their conclusions:

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limit...ising-lowering(concludes that raising or lowering speed limit has very little effect on actual speed traveled - drivers drive at a speed they feel safe at)

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/55-mph-study.pdf (concludes that raising the speed limit on interstates actually lowered fatalities)

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/langlotz (another study concluding that there is no effect on safety when speed limits are raised)

Admittedly, there would be many difficulties in creating a system more like Germany's (progress is rarely easy), but here are two studies showing that the autobahns are considerably safer than our interstates:

http://maps.unomaha.edu/peterson/fun...r/autobahn.htm (shows autobahns are safer than interstates)

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.shtml (shows that on the autobahn, sections with speed limits have essentially the same safety stats as sections without limits)

I'm interested in gauging what the community thinks of this. I realize the demographics may skew the results one way or another, but humor me anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Only if we make the license test more difficult (both written and skill based).

Otherwise, no. Half the people on the road right now would not be driving if we had German license standards.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post

Otherwise, no. Half the people on the road right now would not be driving if we had German license standards.
This exactly.

Raising / lowering speed limits doesn't do anything to the general public because everyone is still going to drive the way they want. The speed limit on my way to work is 65, only 1/4 of the people on the road abide by it, the other half are going 80+ while on their phone or putting on makeup.

Call me crazy but I would hate the see the day US implemented a speed limit free road.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

When people still don't understand how to use a passing lane, move over for faster traffic, or keep 3 seconds behind someone on the freeway when you're traveling 80mph, you know we're not ready for an Autobahn styled experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Speed limit is 55 around here... I'm lucky if I hit 30.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

We need better driver training, better road maintenance, and tougher vehicle standards first.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

As others have said, without a much harder driving test (having it be seen as a privilege and not a "right") and better maintained road surfaces, I want nothing to do with an Autobahn style road.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:

This for sure. I would not trust 98% of the drivers if they did that and would stay off those sections. Most people cannot handle those speeds let alone the speeds we have.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

They would have to be pretty remote sections I'd think. Generally speaking, the more people we put on the road, the more difficult it's going to be to implement something like this.

I'd love to see special licensing that would allow you to drive faster as well as license and insurance verification systems in cars that would prevent people driving who aren't allowed to, but that's a different fantasy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
This for sure. I would not trust 98% of the drivers if they did that and would stay off those sections. Most people cannot handle those speeds let alone the speeds we have.
Case in point.

On the 405 south today. Doing about 80mph in the "passing lane". A Chevy Tahoe comes up behind me doing about 95mph, so I signal to move right into a slower lane. The soccer mom is literally 5 feet off my rear bumper. As soon as I move over, the Tahoe slows down like people do when they know a speed trap is around the corner, except, there wasn't one. So she moves over in front of me and drops her speed to 65mph.

That's the kind of lunatic behavior I've grown accustomed to down here in Orange County. I don't even get mad anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

In central fl if they removed limits speeds might hit 45mph. Way to fast for local retirees

But in all seriousness. I think they should have a fast lane that has a higher toll and special requirements for higher speed. Have very strict fines for not following laws. Maybe higher insurance requirements. I don't mind paying to drive faster, just don't want a beater pos Ruining it for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
just don't want a beater pos Ruining it for everyone.
That's what would happen.

Some guy in an old pickup full of gardening tools, or an old woman with a white afro cruising in here Cadillac would choke up those lanes really good.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

I always thought they should make the driving test really really hard, that way, you wouldn't have all these dumb drivers causing traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Even driving on the Autobahn, I tend to get nervous when closing speeds are really high. I was doing about 150 mph in the left lane, moving around slower traffic and noticed an F430 hanging out behind my relatively slow ass. He hadn't even been visible seconds earlier and I did my best to get over as quickly as possible, but with 40+ mph closing speeds, things just happen much faster than many of us Americans are used to.

As clearly stated above, driver training would have to be totally revamped and only a small portion of folks would be able to pass, so you'd have very limited access. Or just a big pile up. The stretch of toll road near the F1 track is funny to drive on, since the speed limit is 85 and many cars on it seem to not be able to go that fast, and you have a mix of yahoos trying to do 100 too. If you want a preview of how things would work, just take a drive from Austin to San Antonio on the 130 toll road.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Euro driving license.

Revoke license of EVERYONE.

Force everyone to take the new tests.

Done.

EDIT: also, add laws against going <limit+10 in the passing lane. Nothing worse than when there's an emergency and there's some arse who's plugging the left lane with a Cruze. And ban using phones (exception of bluetooth) and not concentrating on driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
This response is sort of what I was expecting. Personally, I don't think we could handle NO speed limit (right now). If the government devoted some serious effort to driver education, road maintenance, and vehicle inspections I think we could get there (but likely never will).

I do however think that many interstate speed limits need to be reviewed. When you see over half of the vehicles on a given roadway exceeding the posted speed limit I think you have a major problem.

This article pretty much sums up my feelings. It's an interesting read if you have time.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/do-limits-matter
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:

+1

Further, traffic laws should be more stringent and violation penalties should be enforced strictly AND uniformly. Then renewing a license should cost a fortune, and a driver with violations should have a special mark on their his/her license plate. But this will never ever happen in America.

And we really have to step up our road construction/repair.. we can't just put 2" of blacktop and call it a road.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I think certain stretches of highway should not have police with radar speed detectors stationed on the side of the road. Keep the speed limit the same, just don't get in trouble if you're speeding. There can be a sign saying "No police patrols, drive at own risk on the left lane only."
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yes. To no speed limits.

There would be an abnormal amount of Darwin awards that year, and probably in the next. It would potentially be a good form of population control though.

Think about it - two birds with one stone. Not only do you get everywhere faster, but you slow down the population growth, which in turn provides more resources to you (assuming you are not one of the ones perishing in a fiery crash on some highway). And the impact on jobs - it would create more opportunities.

Just think about the economic stimulus. Wow!

Vote Yes to no speed limits!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Education would be the first step. Graduated licenses would be a good idea too. Make people take certain levels of driver training to be able to drive at certain speeds and maybe even in certain cars.

Drivers education reform is a must in this country. When I did my drivers-ed classes it was all about what to do when you get in an accident not how to avoid getting in accidents.
      08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I'd pay a LARGE tax to be able to drive speed limitless.

At first i was down with regulation aspect of privilege of driving, but that's turning out to be a precedence that politicians want to carry over to constitutional rights.

I'd go for revoking all DL on your birth day 2 years from now. Study up for the new tests....
      08-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

No. It increases the chance of accidents for regular motorists.