E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > too much engine braking

04-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #23
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
Options

Code *Description (interface) *Description (EPC)
S1CAA *SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE *Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
S1CBA *CO2 UMFANG *CO2 equipment
S1CDA *BRAKE ENERGY REGENERATION *Brake Energy Regeneration
S205A *AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE *Automatic transmission
S249A *MULTIFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD *Multifunction f steering wheel
S2BGA *LM RAEDER DOPPELSP.161/MISCHB. *BMW alloy wheel, double spoke 161
S2PAA *RADSCHRAUBENSICHERUNG *Wheel bolt locks
S2XAA *SPORT-LEDERLENK. MIT SCHALTWIPPEN *Sport leather st. wheel w/ shift paddles
S302A *ALARMANLAGE *Alarm system
S3APA *GRAUKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE *Windscreen with grey wedge
S418A *GEPAECKRAUMPAKET *Luggage compartment package
S428A *WARNDREIECK *Warning triangle and first aid kit
S430A *INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND *Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A *INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND *Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S465A *DURCHLADESYSTEM *Through-loading system
S481A *SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER *Sports seat
S494A *SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER *Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ADA *INTERIEURL. ALU. LAENGSSCHLIFF FEIN *Interior trim strips, brushed aluminium
S4UNA *DURCHLADEOEFF. M. INTEGR. ABLAGEF. *Thr.load opening w/integ.storagecomp.
S502A *SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE *Headlight cleaning system
S508A *PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) *Park Distance Control (PDC)
S521A *REGENSENSOR *Rain sensor
S522A *XENON-LICHT *Xenon Light
S534A *KLIMAAUTOMATIK *Automatic air conditioning
S541A *AKTIVE GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG *Active cruise control
S563A *LICHTPAKET *Light package
S5ACA *FERNLICHTASSISTENT *High-beam assistant
S606A *NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM BUSINESS *Navigation system Business
S644A *VORBEREITUNG F HANDY BLUETOOTH W *Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth
S654A *DAB TUNER *DAB tuner
S676A *HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM *HiFi speaker system
S694A *CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG *Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S672A *CD-WECHSLER FUR 6 CDs *CD changer for 6 CDs
S6FLA *USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE *USB/audio interface
L812A *ENGLAND/IRLAND AUSFUEHRUNG *National version England / Ireland
S850A *ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT *Additional Export tank filling
S863A *SERVICE KONTAKT-FLYER EUROPA *Dealer List Europe
S877A *UEBERKREUZBEDIENUNG ENTFALL *Omission of non-combined operation
S880A *ENGLISCH / BORDLITERATUR *On-board literature, English
S8S2A *KODIERUNG ALARMSIGNAL *Coding, alarm signal
S8S3A *AUTOM. VERRIEGELUNG BEIM ANFAHREN *Automatic locking during starting
S8SMA *FAHRGESTELLNUMMER,V.AUSSEN SICHTBAR *Car ident. number visible from outside
S8SPA *COP STEUERUNG *Control unit COP
Car specs in UK are different from the package sent to US.
Also first year available in US was 2009, with specific engine, emission systems and updated transmission. Regenerative brake was never available in US to my knowledge.
On the other hand, Some of the chassis options are the same.

I have had more than15 different cars from VW bettle to heavy pick up trucks, all sorts of transmissions.... The 335d is a very refined driver's car. I wish it was manual but auto shift is ok.
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #24
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

on a beautifully smooth flat road, at 40 to 50mph its perfect, quite, comfortable and its happy with life

on the type of roads we have off the motorway network in Berkshire UK, running Bridgestone run flats its a demented, evil, hideous death trap and the most unpleasant vehicle I've ever owned.

I thought the omega was nasty.... but actually I'm beginning to realise over the same roads at the same speeds its as good a last year's s class !!! and yet its worthless... its a funny world the one many people seem very happy to live in these days
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #25
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Why don't you just sell the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #26
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Why don't you just sell the car?

I agree. If I had a car I hated that much, it would be gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #27
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

The only explanation I can come up with is someone has messed up your cars computers. But it sounds like this car is something you just don't like, I'm almost certain this car can perform the way 95% of the population driving it wants the car to perform. It can't please everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
db252
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d x 2

This is from BMW's website. I learned something new but we don't have this in the US. My question is, can up you deactivate it somehow and would that be a good or not so good idea?

Make use of every watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #29
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

When driving my car in D mode it defenitely starts in 2nd gear from traffic lights, beucause when you switch it to manual, you feel a downshift if you want to put it into M1. In DS mode, is have the feeling that the car sometimes starts from 1st, sometimes from 2nd gear... I guess that depends on sensor input from oil temp, inclination angle, or other.

My car only feels powerful ar rpm 2500 or above, below that it behaves more like a lazy 100 hp diesel... again, I think carbon buildup.

I have only been driving manual cars since my 20 years of driving experience, the 335d is my first automatic. Never felt that the 335d gives you Kangaroo attitude... actually quite the opposite. It's a bit too lame for me in the low rpms.

Let me know if you come to Southern California, you can do a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyeRalle View Post
BTW, if there's anyone from SoCal who would like to do a comparison driving (mine has the sports package / suspension), let me know. i'd love to try another 335d for comparison.
I'll take you up on your offer. I always wanted to drive another 335d for comparison sakes, even if I do have the same specs as yours. Got JBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
Oh and one more thing. Not sure which gear the car starts off in normal but for me it seems 2nd. I know for sure if it started in first id rear end everyone and their grandma. Which means if everyone has a tranny update that starts everything in second it would explain why no one has the kangaroos. I was reading because you mentioned from 600-1000 you flew down the road. I realized I dont move until maybe 1200.
Very informative write-up. I've been waiting for a while for someone to bring this up!

I'm pretty sure DS starts on 1st gear but if there was a way to make that start in 2nd gear, that would definitely negate the "kangaroo" effect and make my driving experience so much better because I don't use D mode and only use manual shifting for traffic and quick downshifts.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #31
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Warning this post goes on and on.... But I think quite informative...

When I find something worth replacing it with it will be well gone trust me. But this is turning out to be nightmare quest. However, in the mean time I’m not going to sit back and let other’s get caught in the myth BM are riding on with the shoddy crap they are peddling these days.

Let me give you guys a clue where I'm coming from.... as I said earlier I was a vehicle tech on Rolls Royce and Jaguar Daimler in a miss spent youth, 34 years back. So I know what's possible and thus have much higher expectations than joe public's mediocre understanding....

Alongside the gearbox / engine braking issues I started out mentioning, another thing that's been doing my head in is the complete lack of refinement in the drivetrain.

It’s as though in the year’s I’ve been happy with my car’s everyone just gave up on drivetrain refinement. Until 6 months ago, for last 15 years I've been running two Omega's which aside from 3 things are almost perfect ...
1) play in the steering "box", coz they designed it wrong and they never found room for a rack. Funny how Holden with almost the same car got a V8 and a rack in theirs !!!
2) the four speed auto, makes it slow as 2nd is very long (80MPH) and it drinks more fuel than it needs too
3) body shell too weak, making it a bit wobbly

The first Omega made in 1995 as std, came with a BMW 2.5ltr 6 pot diesel and was brilliant. It was my first diesel (although I’d driven many nasty rattlely four pot ones over the 15 years previously) It was so refined with no pedal vibration, almost no rattle even when cold and made a great noise (for a tractor), that was exactly the same from tickover all the way to the red line on full boost. It was the first car I ever had that never felt strained or got harsh as you ragged it to the red line. It had no harshness in the drivetrain at all. The noise was so consistent, I learnt to tune it out till you never noticed it at all when driving...

It was replaced by huge mistake with a petrol 3 ltr one that 9 out of 10 times was always slower. Yes the V6 sounds great at 6800 rpm but there’s no torque to push the rear end to balance the weight of the car. I was actually after another 5 series but getting the same toy count wasn't even possible and even with half the toys the BM commanded twice the price secondhand.

After the first Omega I’d even looked at two petrol V8 older model S class mercs, whilst less mileage, one was older than the Omega and had no toys. I was totally shocked these S classes had quite rough engines and a hell of a lot more vibration and harshness in the drivetrain than I thought possible for such a car, especially with their reputation. No wonder we always called any merc a Taxi when I was on the spanners. That together with a power curve that did absolutely nothing till you dragged the revs to 4k when the things woke up and went mental. In fact this same do nothing till 4k attribute seems habitual in german petrol engined vehicles. (I'm pretty sure its all to do with hammering down autobahns). Even the BM 520 did it (albeit with not much more happening after 4k but a distinct step in the power curve) and the petrol Omega is the same 2k nothing, 3k nothing, 3.5k nothing, 4k bang ! it almost lights up the tyres and it rips down the road with the back twitching about in a way the 2.5 td never could, even when it was chipped.

In between all this quite a few things have been forming my opinion of what to get next. The wife worked for Volvo importers. So we had every modern Volvo for last 8 years as a second car to abuse. So I know what all their current stuff is like (don't forget until the very latest stuff they are all really fords latest cars underneath).

My dad got a 2006 merc E320cdi that’s awful with a harshness and rattle through the drivetrain from tickover to 2k rpm that I think would be disgraceful in a worn out 20 year old ford mondeo. It's electro mechanical PAS is like its stuck in a barrel of treacle and the electro brakes are unpleasant. A neighbough’s had a new 2010 C220cdi auto, it too is a hideous unrefined, vibrating disaster. On top of those two horrible cars and putting yet another nail in the diesel merc idea, when I get taken to the airport (and when I’ve driven) in tractor engined S classes, I’ve always run away screaming at the hideous lack of refinement you can hear and feel through the floor.

My mate went and clocked up more miles on his A8 I’ve been waiting for him to sell me. Not the end of the world I guess as it always had rubbish ride and handling, with it shuddering over small bumps. And again its another car with refinement from the engine which has no right to be like this in a 70k car. To top it off they all have these hideous door handles that freak me out every time I touch them, so that to is a no no.

So on to October last year and after 15 quite happy years, I really need to start thinking hard about the second Omega's replacement.
UK road tax has gone silly for big petrol engines (3 ltr or bigger) with anything post may 2006 commanding £490 a year vs only £260 for mostly faster big engined diesel’s.
Then you start to see diesels are mostly faster and do 30% better MPG. With diesel technology having moved on massively I had very high expectations of the refinement in the current 6 pot BM tractors. And as a biker at heart, more go is always a good idea.

So in my head the only thing close to what I want is a 3ltr diesel BM

Then I found an S class 320cdi as new, but missing Bluetooth and Heated seats and that lack of refinement in the drive train was nagging in the back of my head, so I walked away.

So not much choice a 730d or a 530d. But can I find one with adequate toy count thats not drastically going a long way back from what I’ve been used to for the last 15 years.... Sounds stupid ? it's almost impossible regardless of budget! Then I think, roads are getting too busy, parking big cars is a recipe for dented door’s (and that really does do my head in) and as I only do about 4k miles a year in a car, do I need a full size one? The 7 series lack’s ride comfort, poor handling and mainly the fact they’ve all been trashed means it’s a no no. The 5 series are mostly poverty spec and high milers for 5k more than is reasonable.

And then found a 730d with TV I always wanted and nearly every toy going but it was missing DAB radio and 10k over intended budget. So I get the 3 series as it was so loaded with toys, a one owner car in as new condition and I (wrongly) thought it would be the same quality as a 7 series but in half size proportions. Which almost gets us to where I am today.... EXCEPT !!!

Back on track from paragraph 3 above...
“another thing that's been doing my head in is the complete lack of refinement in the drivetrain”
after the 2.5td this things as bad as the bloody merc’s. Every time I pull away, rattle vibration harshness AHHHHHGG!!!!

I gave it a go trying to get used to it but I got to Christmas and it’s still just as bad each trip. I can’t be doing with this retarded key idea, the vibration, the runflats, the lack of space, the engine braking, the throttle response and backache from the seats...

So I think blow the budget 5.5 ltr petrol V8 merc S class and sod the cost. I don’t care! I’m not going to put up with this shit in my life!!! ... Stupidly I Found one and let it slip through my fingers.... active cruise and all !!! that works gently slowing and speeding up again peacefully. Not the frantic wake me up and shake me about BMW one I’ve got. But the stereo was rubbish and there’s was no USB audio adding that and Bluetooth was going to be 600 quid and still no DAB, a second hand TV tuner is 800 quid plus all the software, the sat nav only did 5 digit but might be possible to reprogramme the car and I just thought do I need this all over again.

All this stress and yet I own a 200 quid car (thats getting too old, rust is creeping up) that I will almost certainly will have to throw away and yet in most ways its far better than anything I’ve driven regardless of price. The world is not getting better.

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-21-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
I'll take you up on your offer. I always wanted to drive another 335d for comparison sakes, even if I do have the same specs as yours. Got JBD?
No JBD yet, but I'm thinking about getting one in the next few weeks. Sure, let's compare cars, where in SoCal do you live? Anyone else interested? We could organise a little 335d owner meeting on a weekend sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #33
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No JBD yet, but I'm thinking about getting one in the next few weeks. Sure, let's compare cars, where in SoCal do you live? Anyone else interested? We could organise a little 335d owner meeting on a weekend sometimes.
Well, you can try mine out and see if you like the piggyback tune. PM sent.

I know there's plenty of diesels in SoCal judging from that "List of 335D owners by country/state/area" thread that we got going on.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
Frediesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 318is

I would be interested. I'm in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frediesel View Post
I would be interested. I'm in San Diego.
I should start a SoCal 335d meet-up thread...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #36
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Irvine. AzureHaze is in Glendale, Frediesel in San Diego. Let's meet in the middle... anyone knows a quiet industrial area / countryside road where we could test our cars?

I'm really curious how another 335d drives, especially with piggyback.

How about this Sunday afternoon? Another option would be the "Cars and Coffee" meet-up which happens every Saturday morning in Irvine (7905 Gateway Blvd, Irvine, CA 92618). AzureHaze however indicated already that Saturday morning is not ok for him. Would lunchtime be ok?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #37
Schumacher62
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

because i found this thread by typing in engine+braking, i have a question about the cruise control feature on my 11 335d perhaps someone can answer.

whether activated or not, when i pull in and hold the cruise control lever towards me (away from me would set the speed higher, towards me lowers the speed) it engine brakes the car with amazing response, kinda fun and a great way to scrub off speed when you dont want to use your brakes. if you can think of a situation where that might apply...

and i am not sure if this is a designed feature, or just something you are not supposed to use with any practicality. engine braking this hard, at any speed, is it a bad thing? has anyone else tried this and what do you make of this "feature?"

Last edited by Schumacher62; 04-23-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #38
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

interesting idea with cruise, is your's the std cruise with brake function or the active version?

one thing I do like about my car (unlike every modern other car I've driven in last few years) is the cruise control just works... just like it always did on "proper old cars"

you don't have enable it first to get past nanny mode "of yes I do really want to use my cruise control please and no I won't sue you coz I wasn't expecting that to happen"

I thought it was like that on mine because its the active version that senses the car's in front and therefore maintains the gap (by putting the brakes on when the car in front slows down and re accelerates afterwards). But maybe what you're saying is because the later BM one's have a braking mode to stop it over speeding, by holding the lever back its like asking for a slower speed so it put the brakes on...

not tried that might tomorrow....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #39
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
So basically what you want is a car that gets diesel mileage, has electric car powertrain noise/comfort, doesnt actually ride on the road but instead just levitates, and has all of the electronic goodies you would find on a $150k BMW or merc, for the price of a couple year old three series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher62 View Post
whether activated or not, when i pull in and hold the cruise control lever towards me (away from me would set the speed higher, towards me lowers the speed) it engine brakes the car with amazing response, kinda fun and a great way to scrub off speed when you dont want to use your brakes. if you can think of a situation where that might apply...
if you hold the cruise lever back like that, its not engine braking. The rear brakes are used lightly to slow down if cruise control desired speed exceeds actual speed by a couple MPH. When you hold the lever back to decrease speed the car engages the rear brakes
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #40
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
So basically what you want is a car that gets diesel mileage, has electric car powertrain noise/comfort, doesnt actually ride on the road but instead just levitates, and has all of the electronic goodies you would find on a $150k BMW or merc, for the price of a couple year old three series.

no I just want a car that's a little better than my 14 year old 200 quid old wreck made by GM... seems BMW and Merc don't make one !!!!

the guys that chauffeur us back and forth from work to the airport, are always chopping and changing cars. When you talk to them about what they've had many go the Merc s or e class route, some do odd things with Volvo S80's and other strange stuff (one had a Chrysler 300c - which of course is a e class anyway) but none ever touch Audi or BMW. But the really strange bit is many fondly reminisce about their Omega's. I always thought they were delusional. But if you've driven the modern garbage I'm beginning to see where they are coming from...

you know for years UK motoring jurnos where trying to get Audi to wake up fix the suspension on their cars. but Audi just didn't get the issue till VAG bought Bentley. When the senior managers were going from the airport to crewe in A8's they couldn't believe how shockingly bad the things rode. Its taken then 5 years but slowly the current Audi's actually are starting to have suspension that works.

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-24-2014 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #41
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
if you hold the cruise lever back like that, its not engine braking. The rear brakes are used lightly to slow down if cruise control desired speed exceeds actual speed by a couple MPH. When you hold the lever back to decrease speed the car engages the rear brakes
Yep, do this at night on a dark road. Your brake lights will illuminate.

I've found my car has not enough engine braking, but I didn't really expect much from a T/C car without a throttle plate.
      04-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #42
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Quote:
Lets make this happen
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #43
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

2 things

1) follow up to Schumacher62 query, my active cruise puts the brakes on if you just drive along and pull back the lower left stalk. Starts gentle then brakes quite a bit. Tried twice from around 45mph pull back and it feels like engine braking to start with, then brakes come on and I went down to 20.

2) seems the modern disease is even impacting jaguar.
today I took out a 20k (GBP) 2009 XJ 2.7td (last of the real jags).
35k miles, sovereign spec, std 20" alloys (that do just what some 19" alloys do on BM's !!).

Drives far better than the 335d much more refinement, more pleasant power characteristic, better gear ratios, nicer steering. Normal throttle response, normal engine braking.

I wasn't expecting vibration through whole car at idle. Which doesn't seem very jag, so I started off thinking, NO !!! It's of lowish frequency but quite big movement. Not totally unpleasant like a four pot merc, but shocked to feel it. The BM doesn't do this at all. But on pull away it has less vibration and no rattle like the BM has. No wind noise (only went up to 90mph). Gearbox wise, I noticed one quite rough change into 2nd after the third very gentle pull away in succession, but ratios faultless and rest of changes faultless.

Quite powerful and pleasant to drive. It feels normal, whereas the 335d can make so much power, it makes you want to go hunt it down all the time. Which gets a bit wearing. The downside on the Jag is aside from continuing to accelerate there's no kick to the power once past 3k rpm. Not a surprise as only puts out 204bhp but it would mean less getting past the idiots. Which should induce stress, but as our roads are so busy, something that calms you down and is comfortable to drive whilst stuck behind the next one is what you need.

Has a nasty cheap Ford key that's off putting. The Radio's OK but its version of loud is half the BM one, but then sounds far better. Nav screen looks like something you'd get in kids toy for 5 quid. There's not much more room than the BM (which when the car is 7 series size outside is naughty) except for leg room which is quite a bit more. Toys wise its not great (missing USB and my active cruise). But alongside Electric Seats its got Electric adjustment for pedal box and wheel and its got Aircon seats which is nice. However heated part was slow to warm up!!!

Its got ride comfort BM and Audi would die for, but those 20" wheels and our crappy roads mean big bumps (the ones you get out to see if the wheel is still on the car on the BM ...so that's every half mile) make the car shudder, no noise, not really uncomfortable and not exactly unpleasant. But not what you want to put up with when paying this money. After all any modern NCAP 5 star car doesn't shudder as the body's not flexing / moving (they will make a god awful noise and you feel shaken about though).

As I mentioned earlier far better general refinement than the BM, but what's confusing me is the BM engine can seem to be very smooth. On occasions if say I've used manual (to stop the engine braking or tame throttle response) I forget and in the cut and thrust of today's traffic I've ended up with the revs at 3.5 to 4 k without noticing. I guess because I haven't felt the harshness you might expect on most engines. The puzzle is, how can it do this. With no diesel clatter at idle, audible diesel tractor noise between 1 to 2 k, and little noticeable vibes all the way to 5k. Is it really smooth? I actually don't think its a brilliant engine or great refinement... I thinks its that the rest of the car just hides the foibles (e.g. crappy suspension, hideous ride comfort mean you're permanently rattled around and a terrible quality radio means you listen to it with volume twice what you should...).

Guess you were expecting this bit; is it really better than the omega ? Well at 100 times the price, the short answer is NO !!! ...back to the drawing board.

And, if you got this far... the last thing the jag had you seem to need in USA.... is software that kept the revs higher than BM does. Running the same auto gearbox you have, but to look after the engine / DPF they run software that keeps the revs around 2k all the time, whilst tootling about at 30, 40 or 50 mph it doesn't sit around 1200 to 1500 rpm clogging things up.

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-26-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #44
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
I'm in jbd in irvine
Appreciate 0