E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Stock market tips and experiences

09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #4489
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I eased back into long positions yesterday and this am....this chart says we have bottomed for awhile...for how long we shall see...every time TRIN gets above 2.0 its signals a bottom...now we gotta see if this is a ST or IT bottom...I am leaning ST.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #4490
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post

I will give you the credit, but even avg joe who are NOT in the finance sector knew.

few already "verted" to VIX on here about mo ago.
A guy who has no idea of even basic "past tense" technical went defensive.

I sold all my position, except AMD.

You are new here so I will let it slide...kiddin...

You need to read this entire 3 year thread to understand the context.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #4491
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

You were always within the target since I started to post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
You are new here so I will let it slide...kiddin...

You need to read this entire 3 year thread to understand the context.
      09-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #4492
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i don't have time for to start researching all this and getting in the game so i need to be on autopilot most of the time while i work on other projects.

with that said, has anyone used betterment.com and if so, are they any good. i was thinking about tossing $10-20k in there just to see how it does.

thanks in advance for the reply.
      09-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #4493
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

RIP to your $10-$20k.
But I guess sticking your money into something like betterment is better than blindly throwing darts in the stock market.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #4494
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
RIP to your $10-$20k.
But I guess sticking your money into something like betterment is better than blindly throwing darts in the stock market.
      09-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #4495
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
RIP to your $10-$20k.
the problem i have is that i work on specific projects because it's what i enjoy and therefor i'm not able to allocate enough time to really "throw darts".

between projects i end up with an access and i can't stand letting money sit in a savings account. it's the biggest ripoff on earth and i'm sure i don't have to explain that.

that is why i'm looking at other options. "RIP to your $10-20k" does not help at all. not sure why you bothered to reply if that's all you have to say. there's no review, there's nothing about your experience or knowledge of such things.

thank you for replying but not really.

i know, it's my fault. wrong forum. thanks anyway.
      09-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #4496
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
Quote:
RIP to your $10-$20k.
the problem i have is that i work on specific projects because it's what i enjoy and therefor i'm not able to allocate enough time to really "throw darts".

between projects i end up with an access and i can't stand letting money sit in a savings account. it's the biggest ripoff on earth and i'm sure i don't have to explain that.

that is why i'm looking at other options. "RIP to your $10-20k" does not help at all. not sure why you bothered to reply if that's all you have to say. there's no review, there's nothing about your experience or knowledge of such things.

thank you for replying but not really.

i know, it's my fault. wrong forum. thanks anyway.
The only reason I made that "RIP to your $20k" comment was because you stated you didn't have time to research investing but were willing to put $20k into the market.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #4497
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
makes sense. may fault.
      09-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #4498
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Gtron, if you want to be in the market but do not have the time or inclination to actively manage your portfolio then I recomend investing in index funds. An overall stock market or s&p fund is an easy choice. You could also go sector specific with financials, tech, healthcare, etc.

If you have a long term goal, dollar cost averaging into select index funds over time is a great strategy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #4499
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Gtron, if you want to be in the market but do not have the time or inclination to actively manage your portfolio then I recomend investing in index funds. An overall stock market or s&p fund is an easy choice. You could also go sector specific with financials, tech, healthcare, etc.

If you have a long term goal, dollar cost averaging into select index funds over time is a great strategy.
Hey gtron,

I just got into the stock market roughly a month ago so obviously I am not an expert nor will I be one any time soon. My opinions expressed are therefore merely regurgitations or synthesized interpretations of things I've read. That stated, I think if you do decide to go index funds, your strategy should be to go long--upwards of 4-5 years. This way you won't be disheartened by the volatility of the market, which seems to be just on the horizon. As a reference, I put funds in VOO and SPY. Both are index funds which track the S&P 500.

I paraphrased:

Quote:
"....We first have to decide whether we can sensibly estimate an earnings range for five years out, or more...[t]he typical [non-professional] investor doesn’t need this skill...

The main danger is that the timid or beginning investor will enter the market at a time of extreme exuberance and then become disillusioned when paper losses occur...The antidote to that kind of mistiming is for an investor to accumulate shares over a long period and never to sell when the news is bad and stocks are well off their highs. Following those rules, the “know-nothing” investor who both diversifies and keeps his costs minimal is virtually certain to get satisfactory results.

...What I advise here is...[p]ut 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P,500 index fund. (I suggest Vanguard’s.) I believe the trust’s long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals – who employ high-fee managers.

EDIT:

I just scrolled above and saw that you considered a mutual fund. I really advise against it. Like you, I knew absolutely nothing about the stock market back then. My next project was a while away and I knew having the money sitting there was doing me no good. But I was extremely nervous so in very early August I put a little bit of money into the JP Morgan mutual fund.

At the same time I did some reading, learning the very basics. I started looking up the symbols in my Mutual Fund. They were all index funds. So this mutual fund I invested in was just a big conglomerate of index funds. JP Morgan charged me something like 1.35% in Management Fees. Luckily for me, in August, everything went down and when I pulled out I made a modest gain of 0.65% or something like that.

The day before I pulled out, I did a PDF of all the Index Funds they invested in. I attached the first page herein so if you want to create your own JP Morgan mutual fund you can do it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf jpmorgan_mutual_fund_portfolio_updates.pdf (617.7 KB, 691 views)

Last edited by jasonn; 09-29-2014 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #4500
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Jasonn, Talking to Financial advisor or CFP is just one of the objective investment.
I know you are smart guy. I would use every single education you had since K-12 to graduate school to apply ALL the knowledge + tool you can on the market.

I liquidated everything 2days ago, except AMD. (if you recall AMD for AMG) LOL. Glad that I saw this coming, but I still have SOME faith in AMD.

I am down -4% on AMD, and I am starting to see further downward trend.
Tomorrow will be the key day for me. Either I buy PUT to cover, or CALL for mid OCT AMD POP prior to earnings. Or I can straddle, and get rid of one each at near relative max/min point.

(my orig plan was to buy call)

I initially thought this is just the left shoulder. After looking at volume and running some crap again, it "MIGHT" be the head with short neckline.
WHO KNOWS....
Ah yes, I remember the AMG/AMD post now lol. Good thing you cashed out. Wish I had. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Had the market gone up I would have been cursing myself for pulling out. I'm still going long and holding tight. The stocks I'm in are not going to pack up and leave on me so it's just a waiting game till they eventually go up.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #4501
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
I just scrolled above and saw that you considered a mutual fund. I really advise against it. Like you, I knew absolutely nothing about the stock market back then. My next project was a while away and I knew having the money sitting there was doing me no good. But I was extremely nervous so in very early August I put a little bit of money into the JP Morgan mutual fund.

At the same time I did some reading, learning the very basics. I started looking up the symbols in my Mutual Fund. They were all index funds. So this mutual fund I invested in was just a big conglomerate of index funds. JP Morgan charged me something like 1.35% in Management Fees. Luckily for me, in August, everything went down and when I pulled out I made a modest gain of 0.65% or something like that.

The day before I pulled out, I did a PDF of all the Index Funds they invested in. I attached the first page herein so if you want to create your own JP Morgan mutual fund you can do it.
Not all mutual funds are bad. Vanguard's VTSMX is 0.17% and VTSAX is 0.05% if you have more than $10k.

gtron, you can go with a mix of VBTLX, VTSAX, and VTIAX and get exposure to bonds, stocks, and international. See this page here for some "lazy" portfolios that don't require active management. http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #4502
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

/ES futures are down 20 handles, is this the start of a break towards the 1800s or just a flush before a rally to ATH's?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #4503
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I eased back into long positions yesterday and this am....this chart says we have bottomed for awhile...for how long we shall see...every time TRIN gets above 2.0 its signals a bottom...now we gotta see if this is a ST or IT bottom...I am leaning ST.

You weren't kidding when you said ST

The large swings are probably a bearish sign for markets, no?

Last edited by BimmerPod; 09-29-2014 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #4504
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I sold all except AMD, and it is down 7.5~%
I still think this can pop upto 4,40ish before earning (mid oct) Still holding.

Very interested in RAD right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Ah yes, I remember the AMG/AMD post now lol. Good thing you cashed out. Wish I had. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Had the market gone up I would have been cursing myself for pulling out. I'm still going long and holding tight. The stocks I'm in are not going to pack up and leave on me so it's just a waiting game till they eventually go up.
Quote:

I liquidated everything 2days ago, except AMD. (if you recall AMD for AMG) LOL. Glad that I saw this coming, but I still have SOME faith in AMD.

I am down -4% on AMD, and I am starting to see further downward trend.
Tomorrow will be the key day for me. Either I buy PUT to cover, or CALL for mid OCT AMD POP prior to earnings. Or I can straddle, and get rid of one each at near relative max/min point.

(my orig plan was to buy call)

I initially thought this is just the left shoulder. After looking at volume and running some crap again, it "MIGHT" be the head with short neckline.
WHO KNOWS....
      09-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #4505
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Any thoughts on GPRO? I'm thinking of buying some puts on it soon. And I'm still waiting for SLV to flush to the low $15s before going long very hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #4506
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
My thoughts are GPRO will fall sharply soon when the lock period expires. Shares are just up too much not to take some profits. However I looked into puts the other day and they were pricey!
      10-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #4507
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Any thoughts on GPRO? I'm thinking of buying some puts on it soon. And I'm still waiting for SLV to flush to the low $15s before going long very hard.
I've sold almost all of my shares over the last two days. I don't think it's worth the risk at this point. I only held on until the Hero 4 was released.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #4508
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

SPX 1905 here we come.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #4509
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

SPY testing it's trend line. We will see if it will hold

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #4510
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333
SPX 1905 here we come.
I think October will be a very bearish month (as it is historically). Maybe low 1800s are in store if 1900 doesn't hold.
Appreciate 0