E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > pc or mac

07-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

pc or mac

im in the market for a new laptop its between the dell xps 15 with the 2.2 quad core 8gigs of ram and a 256 ssd

or a mac 15" mac book pro 2.2 quad 4 gb or ram and 750 hdd

yeah i know the pc has better stats and cheaper but i really like osx is it possible to have mac on a pc? kinda like bootcamp
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

What do you plan on using it for?

I personally don't like apple products so my answer is PC.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If you want a gaming computer OBV buy a PC.

If you want a computer that is easier to use get the Mac.

I have both and I choose to use my MBP for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post

Apple products are full of fail and I refuse to support a business that cheats its customers through its monopoly if its market.

APPLE CAN EAT THIS DICK.

Ive been building computers since the 5th grade and naturally have always hated macs/apples. And I have used them many many times, never a pleasant experience for me. I'm sorry, im terribly biased.

ASUS computers G series FTMFW.

Ive owned 5 sony's, 4 dells, and 7 asus laptops. Will never buy another brand again, im as loyal to asus as im loyal to bmw. I dont even look at competitors products. Ill advise someone to go for sony products before they turn to an apple computer.
      07-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

^ can you explain why? saying its "fail" is not really a defense.

Its nice owning a computer that 2-3-4 years after you buy it, its stilling running at the same speed and have NO problems, and if you do have a problem you can take it to a apple store and they fix it for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
^ can you explain why? saying its "fail" is not really a defense.

Its nice owning a computer that 2-3-4 years after you buy it, its stilling running at the same speed and have NO problems, and if you do have a
problem you can take it to a apple store and they fix it for free.
I just cant stand the OS. I dont like the layout, I dont like the design, I dont like how the search functions operate, I dont like the responsiveness of the computers, I dont like the visuals or the sounds, fuck i dont know i really hate everything about it. I guess it comes from wanting to be dissasociated from the kinds of people that were using macs when they came out, as it was the "dummy" brand, or a brand built for those who dont care to understand much about the computer, they just need shit to work. and that apple does well, i give them that.

Its funny, I have all of my laptops still running. this is because I can fix them myself. they are all running strong (the ones I havent sold). Most people's PC's fail due to the lack of updated antivirus.

Its quite a wonderful feeling when a friend breaks your computer screen and I can say "ohh, its no problem. I can replace it myself for under 100 bucks" and actually do it. I have had 4 friends break apple screens and the cost to replace is almost as much as a new computer. I dont know ANYONE who has actually repaired their mac, because in all instances the costs are high enough for the person to rather buy a new computer.

I can go on.... I think I have elaborated on my statement enough for now.
      07-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
Most people's PC's fail due to the lack of updated antivirus.
who in the world wants to waste time updating anti viruses and installing drivers and defragging and doing all that bullshit.

I've been using OSX for the past 4 years, I recently had to do a job on a PC and I wanted to blow my brains out. Its just little things here and there that destroy the user experience in windows.

As for replacing mac parts, my macbook pro died 3 months after the warranty expired and Apple still replaced it for free. And if they didn't there are a ton of mac parts stores that don't charge the same premium as apple. I'm sure if you took your laptop to Dell they would charge a lot too.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Hmm I currently have 3 MBPs in the office and 2 Pc's. And we have had a screen go out, and a keyboard short out I think (not sure) on the macs.

Both were replaced for free, same day.

They didn't even ask what happened. Just were like, oh we can take care of you, come back around 5.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

ive never had problems with windows.

windows doesnt have problems. people do.

as long as you dont do unsafe web browsing and you dont use drivers that you shouldnt be, youll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
ive never had problems with windows.

windows doesnt have problems. people do.

as long as you dont do unsafe web browsing and you dont use drivers that you shouldnt be, youll be fine.
Sadly windows is made for the purpose of people using it

Thats like saying, its not the bullets fault that someone was shot. There had to be a person behind it.

Well duh.. If you buy a new computer and never intend to use it, it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Sadly windows is made for the purpose of people using it

Thats like saying, its not the bullets fault that someone was shot. There had to be a person behind it.

Well duh.. If you buy a new computer and never intend to use it, it will be fine.
I never said you couldn't. Notice I said unsafe browsing. Not use.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

If cost is a concern the Mac is usually a much more expensive option than its PC competition.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
nightfx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 AW e92 335i Msport

Love my Macbook pro and love my desktop with Windows 7. Though Mac really isn't an option if you plan on gaming on your computer. Macs have always been tanks for me so if you don't want to worry about maintenance they're a pretty good choice.

2009 Alpine White Msport E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I also am not a fan of Apple products.

Basically, the break down is that if you are only partially computer literate (enough to get you by) then get an Apple. Apple does a great job of holding your hand through everything. On the other hand, if you have a decent amount of knowledge of computers, don't mind actually doing limited maintenance of your own system (as everyone who owns any computer should), and want the freedom to do what you please with what you buy, then get a PC. PC's generally are more compatible with 3rd party software (read: most software) and they don't limit you on what you can or cannot do.

There are certainly more details to get into, like how Apple will limit functionality on a product in order to give it room to grow naturally down the line. Great for a business, but crap for a consumer who doesn't want to buy a new machine every year. Apple will also hold back current tech, sometimes to make sure the machine runs smoothly, sometimes because they can't be bothered or it would make their already expensive machines more-so.

The very fact that there is a distinction between a 'Mac' and a every other single manufacturer of computer hardware (termed as 'PC') should tell you everything.

Mac's have their purpose, they are friendly with a great interface(for a high price), Until you want to do something unique or non-standard.
      07-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Btw, I am clearly biased. And there is no shame in buying an Apple if you aren't fully computer savy. Like I said, they do a great job of creating easy to use and understand interfaces. Which is why their mobile devices are so popular.
      07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

BTW.

You can run Parallels and emulate ANY Windows program you could ever desire.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

im thinking of the new hp envy 2.3 ghz quad core 8 gb of ram and a 500 hdd with 80 ssd
which i think i will emulate osx lion on
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

at this point in your life either your a MAC boy or you're a PC boy. asking this question is quite honestly the answer to your own question.

I don't know anyone who flip flops between the two.....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #20
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
at this point in your life either your a MAC boy or you're a PC boy. asking this question is quite honestly the answer to your own question.

I don't know anyone who flip flops between the two.....
bisexuals.... very rare to see in the computer world. People are quite emotional about what OS they use.

Quote:
BTW.

You can run Parallels and emulate ANY Windows program you could ever desire.
*yawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I also am not a fan of Apple products.

Basically, the break down is that if you are only partially computer literate (enough to get you by) then get an Apple. Apple does a great job of holding your hand through everything. On the other hand, if you have a decent amount of knowledge of computers, don't mind actually doing limited maintenance of your own system (as everyone who owns any computer should), and want the freedom to do what you please with what you buy, then get a PC. PC's generally are more compatible with 3rd party software (read: most software) and they don't limit you on what you can or cannot do.

There are certainly more details to get into, like how Apple will limit functionality on a product in order to give it room to grow naturally down the line. Great for a business, but crap for a consumer who doesn't want to buy a new machine every year. Apple will also hold back current tech, sometimes to make sure the machine runs smoothly, sometimes because they can't be bothered or it would make their already expensive machines more-so.

The very fact that there is a distinction between a 'Mac' and a every other single manufacturer of computer hardware (termed as 'PC') should tell you everything.

Mac's have their purpose, they are friendly with a great interface(for a high price), Until you want to do something unique or non-standard.
I see backup has arrived. I would also like to elaborate on how apple cheats its customers and controls its market. They greatly handicap/limit the technology by generation, even when they have the technology and perfected it. They simply re-produce identical products and add layers of "new" technology to the consumer which does 2 things mainly. first, it ensures the value of prior products to drop, which is something they can do on demand, and it also forces the consumer to buy the new piece of equipment as they understand it to be a "new model". The joke is that the additional technology the consumer thats available on the new model was most likely around, perfected, and plausable for apply to apply to the previous generation. Its because they know their consumers will purchase the entirely new product because they are so guilable, they can do this. Because they have full market control, they have absolute power, and the consumer is 100% at apple's mercy.

I dont know about you apple guys, but I like walking into a store and being able to buy a computer... I didnt ask to make an appointment, I didnt ask to wait to be assisted by some douche who works at apple, I didnt ask to waste 45 minutes on a process that should literally take 5.

fuck apple, fuck macintosh, fuck ipod, fuck ipad, fuck everything that was ever made by steve jobs and the rest of his minion fucks. THIS WORLD WAS BUILT ON WINDOWS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
If cost is a concern the Mac is usually a much more expensive option than its PC competition.
      07-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
MOARRRR

Why? Because I can.

^^^ I would be that guy.

07-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
Davin