E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > F1: 2010

08-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

F1: 2010

I just found out about this game, and I must say I'm chomping at the bit. As a precursor before GT5 comes out in November, I'd say this has the opportunity to be an awesome game. This coming from someone who hardly ever plays racing games at that. I usually much rather hop in the car and go for a drive.

Some details:

Release Date: September 21, 2010
  • Fully licensed, F1 2010 features all the drivers and teams contesting the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, including Formula 1 Drivers? World Champions Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher.
  • Race wheel to wheel on all 19 of the 2010 tracks, each modelled with exceptional attention to detail and jaw-dropping visuals.
  • Affecting strategy, performance and delivering stunning visual effects, F1 2010 features the most advanced weather system in any racing game.
  • Whether players wish to work their way up from the bottom, switching teams as they go, or build a dynasty with their chosen team, gamers can fully realise their aspirations in F1 2010?s extensive and challenging career mode.
  • F1 2010 will include extensive online multiplayer options allowing players to take on their friends and the rest of the world in a range of race modes

F1 2010 will feature "the most complicated weather system ever seen in a racing game" which is integral to F1. When rain starts to fall, the track will gradually lose grip, with some areas losing grip faster than others. "Overhanging trees, for example, will shelter the track, while dips and indentations in the tarmac will hold more standing water and provide a greater risk."

When the rain stops, a "drying line" will start to appear which will provide more grip which will make it easier to drive. If a car strays from the dry line, the tyres will lose grip and it will be harder to drive. Evolving track will also be featured elsewhere in the game; at the start of a race weekend, the track will be "green" and therefore have less grip, but as the weekend progresses, rubber will be laid down onto the track, increasing the grip.

The game will feature a career mode consisting of either three, five or seven seasons (depending on the end user's choice). Where players can drive for any team, each having their own objectives – "For example, race for Ferrari and anything other than winning the Driver's and Constructor's Championship would be a failure, while a mere points finish when driving for Lotus would be a huge success." Media interest will also differ depending on whether the player is racing for one of the top teams, or a team at the back of the grid and will reflect the progress the player makes; more success will equal more media attention. Impromptu interviews will take place alongside the official interviews following each race. The developer diaries released by Codemasters have revealed that impromptu interviews will be more sensationalist than formal press conferences and that the player may need to be wary of what they say to the media lest they say something they shouldn't and upset their team. Players will be forced to retire after the end of the third, fifth, or seventh season.

Research will also feature in F1 2010. Consistently out-race a teammate, and the player will receive new parts, updates and upgrades as they are developed. The player's team will develop new parts and updates for their car throughout the season, evolving the car as the season progresses.

Source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077840p1.html
      08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

I can't wait for this game!

It's going to be sickkkkk.

Red Bull for the win .
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
I can't wait for this game!

It's going to be sickkkkk.

Red Bull for the win .
Whoa whoa whoa....

whoa

whoa...

McLaren all the way!
      08-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Whoa whoa whoa....

whoa

whoa...

McLaren all the way!
I hope Webber wins the Championship. Imagine, Driver #2 winning. BAahahhaha
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

iseewutyoudidthere.
      09-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Decent review.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/F1-20...iew-15624.html

Quote:
On booting up our preview code of F1 2010 for the first time, we were met with a press conference. A roomful of journalists had congregated to ask us questions before we'd even set foot in a virtual F1 cockpit. And they were asking us some pretty stupid questions as well like, 'What's your name?' Now, we don't want to sound self-important or anything, but that's some pretty lazy journalism. How did they even get into the press conference without knowing who they'd be interviewing? It soon became apparent, though, that this was a novel way of constructing a game profile from our answers to the journalists' questions. If, for example, we replied to one of their questions, 'We're looking forward to a challenge from the other drivers, but nothing too strenuous', then this meant that we wanted to drive at the 'medium' difficulty level.

Unfortunately though, this is all we saw of F1 2010's Career Mode in the preview code. Beyond this entry section into the game, all semblance of the Career had been stripped from the build, presumably because Codemasters wants to hold it back until reviews later this month. Instead, the preview code offered single-race, time trial (including a neat time-trial party option), and custom season options for 12 tracks of the full 19 track list for the 2010 season. Iconic circuits from Monaco to Spa Francochamps, as well as newcomers to the scene such as Korea were all featured to a mighty degree of detail. Take Spa's iconic Eau Rouge as an example: your engine struggles ever so slightly under the steepness of the hill, while the series of corners should only be driven flat-out with tyres at optimum heat and a setup that plants your car to the circuit like a magnet (otherwise you'll have to lift at turn 4).

So, already F1 2010 is ticking a crucial box: not only do the circuits look uncannily like their real-life counterparts but, more importantly, they drive like them too. But this is a Codemasters driving game after all and, ever since the original TOCA back in 1997, Codies' trademark in the genre has been offering up an agreeable mix of sim and arcade racing. F1 2010 is no different, although customisable parameters perhaps offer more scope than usual for gamers to define the experience that they want. Race weekends, for example, can be selected as 'long', 'short', or 'race only'. 'Long' weekends include full practice and qualifying sessions, while 'short' weekends include, well, shorter practice and qualifying sessions. Particularly deep car setup options throughout all of this then allow you to tweak performance as the weekend plays out, with numerous settings from ride height to gear ratios (and everything in-between) being accounted for. If this is all a bit too confusing though, there's always the option to get your race engineer to sort it all out for you.

The races themselves can be defined in terms of distance, from a minuscule 1 lap race for those gamers who want a quick pick-up-and-play experience to full race distance for players that want a complete simulation. Tyre strategies are then enforced for races that are 20% or more of the full distance, meaning that drivers have to pit at least once (otherwise they're disqualified). True to current F1 rules, the option and prime tyres also have to be used at least once during a dry race to avoid disqualification. What's perhaps not so true to current F1 rules is the selective use of traction control and ABS in the game, which can both be switched on and off at a player's will.

That said, it's not as if Codies is just doing this to spite the FIA. Instead, traction control and ABS are used as supplementary difficulty settings. Novices should definitely opt for both driving aids to be switched on if they're to have any hope at all of staying on the circuit, while more advanced drivers might be able to consider turning them off but not without a large degree of caution. Make no mistake, driving 'naked' in this sense provides one of the most challenging racing experiences we've ever come across in a game. Such is the twitchiness of these F1 cars that you have to concentrate very hard indeed to keep them pointed in the right direction, while the thin margins of error at the apex and exit to corners ensure that you will be punished harshly for taking a bit too much curve or overcooking it a bit. In this sense more than any other, Codemasters Birmingham's game really does feel like a true representation of the sport.

Driver AI also rang true in the preview build we played. That concertina effect you see in real F1 races, where cars bunch up at slow corners and then spread back out along the straights, was portrayed exceptionally well. Realistically aggressive driving from the AI wasn't a problem either. When we tried to out-brake opponents into hairpins, the AI would subsequently take advantage of any run-off areas or try to nip back inside through the exit and get their position back. Equally, opponents were convincingly unwilling to yield when we fought alongside them and would squeeze us for every inch we had.

There was one slight annoyance that we noticed though and, to be fair, it's a problem shared by numerous other racing games of this type. Whenever an accident unfolded in the middle of a tight corner, the chasing pack of cars would literally slow down to a standstill and cause utter gridlock behind the crash. It was one of the only moments during our play through that broke our engagement with the experience, so hopefully there's still time to iron out some of those kinks before the game launches later this month. There were some spectacular crashes on show though. Cars will go fully airborne and cause some pretty spectacular carnage. In fact, we found these airborne accidents more convincing than similar examples in the likes of Need For Speed: Shift and Forza 3.

Formula 1 gaming is back where it ought to be. Codemasters Birmingham has clearly crafted a game that'll be able to hold its head high above the many lacklustre F1 titles that have emerged over the last decade. We're now raring to see what's in store for the full Career Mode of F1 2010 when review time rolls around later this month...
      09-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I think I might have to take time off work for this game.

First time I've ever said that.
      09-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
so...Team order?
      09-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
so...Team order?
Of COURSE there won't be any team orders. Team Orders or anything that will directly manipulate the outcome of a race are strictly prohibited!

09-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Of COURSE there won't be any team orders. Team Orders or anything that will directly manipulate the outcome of a race are strictly prohibited!

"options" - "difficulty" - "easy"
(Setting for Alonso)...

pre-ordered at Amazon....just can't resist....
      09-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I cant wait for this. Its going to be sick!

Btw, new video on TeamXbox: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/23036/...-with-F1-2010/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
already pre-ordered on amazon! cant wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
So psyched for this!
Been waiting for this game for almost 2 years now, and this was basically the reason I bought a 360 a few months ago.
      09-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Anyone get it yet?! How is it? I'm going on my lunch to best buy to pick it up, but wont be able to play it until tonight

IGN UK review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120745p1.html
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Pre-ordered from Amazon...waiting for it to deliver....
      09-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
went to best buy, they didnt have it. Called gamestop, they wont get it till Thursday or Friday.... FFFUUUU
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
Anyone get it yet?! How is it? I'm going on my lunch to best buy to pick it up, but wont be able to play it until tonight
Don't bother stopping at BB tonight.

Went to Gamestop this morning and was told it ships tomorrow, so they'd have it in-store on Thursday. Tried Best Buy and was told either the release was pushed back or there was a distribution problem because they hadn't received them yet.
The BB employee did say that each of their stores will only get 2-3 copies initially.

My friend just checked with the Gamestop next to her work for me, and they said they'd have it in-store tomorrow. Guess I'll try and get it again tomorrow morning.
      09-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Yeah, i checked with the game stop near my house and the guy said they will get it Thurs or Friday....but i want it nao!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Hahaha I know!
I've waited 2 years for this damn game; so I guess a few more days isn't bad... but I've been waiting for this day since a release date was announced. These 2-3 days are going to drag.
      09-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
im so pissed it wasnt released today, I bought the G27 wheel for this game (and in preparation for GT5) and it was delivered today, I even took off work early only to then be told the game wont be out till thurs
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
The only plus side is it gives me more time to beat assasins creed 2 before the new one comes out haha. Cuz with the F1 game, i probably wasnt going to be playing assasins creed 2
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Sucks for you guys... I got my copy lastnight (dl'd)... with 5mins of game play it has good controls hard to overtake just gotta wait for the right moment when the cpu to goof up.
Appreciate 0