E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough idle after service

08-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Question Rough idle after service

Hey guys.

So I took my car into service on Friday for an oil change and they also did a brake fluid flush and cabin air filter change. I gathered it is the rough equivalent of the old Inspection I. They said that the car had a clean bill of health, with no items predicted to need attention in the near future. Car is a 2011 335i and has 39,000 miles on it. Drove it this weekend but didn't notice anything different (was recovering from a cold.) I noticed this morning a few odd things.

1. Idle seemed rougher.
I had a proper rough idle in the days of the old e46, and that one was accompanied by 100 to 200 RPM jumps and caused by a bad idle control valve. However, this one has barely any jumps at all in the RPM gauge. I could be imagining it except for:

2. Vibration felt in cabin.
One of the biggest differences I noted between the E90 and the E46 was how buttery smooth the cabin was at idle. This is no longer the case, its certainly not a bucking bronco, but I can feel a definite difference.

3. Vibration and knock/ticking/dull squeal from engine.
Popped the hood and was able to hear a sound similar to this. Also noticed that the engine seemed to be vibrating more than I'd expect it to. I couldn't localize the sound exactly, but it seemed to be coming from the front of the engine. Any possibility this could be a VANOS issue since:

My car is on the NHTSA recall list for the VANOS bolts issue (14V176000), but the dealer said they couldn't do that because they are waiting on parts. Any possibility that could be related to this?

4. Weirdest one, engine seemed to be getting "weaker"
Not honestly sure exactly how to describe. At the peak of the vibration, the engine settled for a second but seemed like it was going to quietly die, not the usual shuddering death that low RPM would give.

Planning on bringing it back to the dealer for their take, but wanted to get some theories from the community here in case they go with "it's normal"...

Thanks!

TL;DR - Unexpected vibration and rougher idle after service, causes?
Appreciate 0