E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Question for mountainbikers out there

11-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Exclamation Question for mountainbikers out there

What's a good aftermarket seat that's the least rough on the taint? My spending range is preferably below $50.

thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I used to take a shit ton of spin classes. I secretly wore the padded spandex shorts under my gym shorts. Saved my taint.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm looking into those as well. Recommended brands?
also, padded spandex vs padded shorts?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

REI sells some novara padded boxer briefs. Basically padded underwear that you can wear under anything. I've got a couple pairs and they're alright, but not as good as dedicated cycling shorts (tend to bunch up, etc.)

If you are mountain biking I'd say get some mt. biking shorts.. the spandex, etc. on my cycling shorts isn't the most durable material against tearing, etc. Since you fall from time to time on a Mt. Bike it might be good to get something made of rip-stop fabric. And DON'T wear under wear under any shorts with a padded chamois... it's not what they are designed for.

As far as seats go I've always had really good luck with Specialized body geometry saddles. You really need to pay for the expensive models IMO, but for whatever reason they work for me just fine.

Couple things:

If you are new to riding, your taint is just going to hurt... just kind of how it is for the first month or so until your body gets used to it.

Make sure your saddle is at a maximum of flat, if not tilted down a bit on the nose. if you've got your saddle tilted back even just a little bit, your taint is taking all of your weight and it'll hurt no matter what saddle you are using.

Get out of the saddle from time to time when you are climbing/riding over bumpy sections... this will keep you comfortable longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Second the Specialized BG saddles, or the WTB Devo saddle, which can be found for about $60 online and is a good mtb saddle.

More than anything, check the positioning of your current saddle, don't let it tip nose down (worse than nose back, contrary to what was posted earlier) and try a lightly padded short if necessary. One mistake a lot of new riders make is assuming that more padding on the saddle or shorts will make things more comfortable, when it actually creates more issues. You want to be as stationary as possible on the saddle, and padding makes it harder to stay ideally positioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

I highly recco wearing padded spandex under shorts. I ride over 200 miles a week, and once I started wearing the padding, my ass didn't hurt anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i've had good results on the WTB Pure Race V that came w/ my santa cruz--you can get it online for 40 bucks or so. prior to that i had a sella italia flite on my rigid bike, and i'm never going back to something that uncomfortable again.