E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What's the ZR1 chasing?

08-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #111
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Maybe it was just that particular driver. Clearly the same traction handicap experienced by the ZR1 wasn't as much of a factor on the GT2 in AutoCar's test. Why the difference? Driver is my guess. We can leave it at that.
I can't make it more plain than it already is, the GT2 gets better traction when conditions are poor and this is for many reasons but the main two is the extra weight over the rear axle and it does offer a brilliant TC system if used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong
First off, the last time I looked our best sports cars (Viper ACR, ZR1) are trouncing the Euro super cars pretty badly, and at less than half the price. You throw the Aero SSC in the mix, and we're dominating you guys. Need I even bring up the results from the FIA GT Round 4 Francorchamps where the Z06 made Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, and Aston Martin cry? No offense.
Well now we are getting to your really problem, you are anti-Rest of the World and all products that aren't American. Or have I got you all wrong.

Sure these cars you mentioned are all great but only the ZR1 stands off as truly great in my opinion, the Viper is a race car with number plates, that may well appeal to a number of people but that number would be very few and the majority would neither consider it nor recognise it's 7:22 lap as the record of a true street production car. Now the Vette is a different matter, it's a true street car and quite decently built I believe, though given the choice I would prefer any of the European metal at it's £100k it sells at here.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #112
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post

ZR1 doesn't trounce the Enzo, Zonda Clubsport, or MC12.
But the Aero SSC does.

Quote:
No, you're wrong. To the market that matters (in this case Europe and Germany, within which the Nordschleife is located), the F Clubsport is road legal. Its time on the 'Ring is 100% legit.
It's not legal here, so I don't really care. Anyway that was a tangent you created at 6Speed which is why most of the posters there think you're a troll. People listen to you here because this website is 99% BMW fanboys, but then again, you're with your kin. All your points are usually wrong, and tangents. Not my opinion, but at least half a dozen people at 6Speed who post there and simply ignore you.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #113
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well now we are getting to your really problem, you are anti-Rest of the World and all products that aren't American.
Most people at 6SpeedOnline who know me would laugh at that statement considering my stable of cars I own.

I simply recognize that U.S Sports Cars are dominating their Euro equivalents at this time and for much, much, cheaper.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #114
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Most people at 6SpeedOnline who know me would laugh at that statement considering my stable of cars I own.

I simply recognize that U.S Sports Cars are dominating their Euro equivalents at this time and for much, much, cheaper.
Well I can only consider the ZR1 as true rival to European sportscars and it's a bloody good one. Though it's only cheap in the US where it's made because in the UK it's an expensive car, even for the performance on offer and this is down to the amount of import tax, which is true for European brands in the US. Now if you view the ZR1 at UK prices then it's build quality doesn't cut the mustard in comparison the the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Audi.

Another thing about US sportscar when compared to European is the finesse in their handling, they are all about the numbers, sure they go hard, corner hard and brake hard but there is none of the balance you experience with a Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari or any of the other top brands that have been mentioned.

I'm not saying the GM cut corners but their values and goals are a bit difference to European brands.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #115
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Now if you view the ZR1 at UK prices then it's build quality doesn't cut the mustard in comparison the the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Audi.
I have to firmly disagree since I own 2 of the marques you just mentioned. We can discuss this over PM if you want, I don't like discussing much here on E90 for obvious reasons. But I just have to say after spending time in the above mentioned marques, I firmly believe that the "build" quality of these Euro brands is a myth perpetuated by marketing.

Quote:
Another thing about US sportscar when compared to European is the finesse in their handling, they are all about the numbers, sure they go hard, corner hard and brake hard or there is none of the balance you experience with a Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari or any of the other top brands that have been mentioned.
That's just opinion. Tiff Needell compared the Z06 to the F430, and GT2 and still thought the Z06 was better than both in feel.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #116
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:

ZR1 doesn't trounce the Enzo, Zonda Clubsport, or MC12. I wouldn't consider a 2-second gap to the CGT a trouncing by any means. If you look at the build quality and production volumes, the ACR and ZR1 have to be priced less than half; otherwise, who'd buy them?
So, you think that a manufacturer builds a car and determines the price? The price of the ZR-1 is the price that they built it to. GM didn't set out to build a $300,000 car and then cut the price to try to move them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #117
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
But the Aero SSC does.
What is the SSC's NRing time?

Quote:
It's not legal here, so I don't really care.
You don't care...yet YOU brought it up and made a BS statement about its road legality. Now who's trollin'?

What do you mean "at this time"? If performance is all you're looking for (and that's all you're getting in a car like the ACR), then US cars have been historically better at providing bang for the buck. Look at what the old ZR1 did to the Porsche Turbo decades ago.
Simple reason being that marques like Porsche, Audi, BMW, Ferrari/Maserati, etc generally don't give a rat's ass about performance/cost as much as GM/Dodge. Like I said, if a ZR1 were priced like an Enzo or Pagani, who the hell would buy it? It's priced cheaply because it has to be. You don't think GM/Dodge would be pricing Corvettes/Vipers like Ferraris and Zondas if they could? Of course they would.
Right, and let's not forget that things made in Europe tend to be more expensive anyway. Currently, the Euro is trading at 1.4USD.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #118
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Another thing about US sportscar when compared to European is the finesse in their handling, they are all about the numbers, sure they go hard, corner hard and brake hard but there is none of the balance you experience with a Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari or any of the other top brands that have been mentioned.
Times are changing, the Corvette (I can't believe I am championing the Corvette) is the one of a very small hand full of cars that is getting lighter and smaller as it is redesigned. I think others will have to follow this trend. Porsche was able to shed a little weight off the 997.2 Turbo and GT3, but the 911 is getting bigger and bigger. Look at the weight of modern Ferraris, its pathetic they are having to spoon on huge rubber to get the numbers that they need and there is no way that they have the light nimble feel that they should or could have if they were as light as the ZR-1.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #119
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
What is the SSC's NRing time?

You don't care...yet YOU brought it up and made a BS statement about its road legality. Now who's trollin'?

What do you mean "at this time"? If performance is all you're looking for (and that's all you're getting in a car like the ACR), then US cars have been historically better at providing bang for the buck. Look at what the old ZR1 did to the Porsche Turbo decades ago.
Simple reason being that marques like Porsche, Audi, BMW, Ferrari/Maserati, etc generally don't give a rat's ass about performance/cost as much as GM/Dodge. Like I said, if a ZR1 were priced like an Enzo or Pagani, who the hell would buy it? It's priced cheaply because it has to be. You don't think GM/Dodge would be pricing Corvettes/Vipers like Ferraris and Zondas if they could? Of course they would.
Right, and let's not forget that things made in Europe tend to be more expensive anyway. Currently, the Euro is trading at 1.4USD.
Yup, time to ignore you like most of the people at 6Speed have. You're a troll through and through. have a good day!

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #120
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

I laugh at the whole "European Finesse" statement.

The brand snobbery on these forums is ridiculous.

Now it's not about performance, but about how much leather you can slather on the seats. That's a real motorsport enthusiast.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #121
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Clearly Porsche doesn't care about cost and they would never share components between their entry level model and their premium model...oh wait they did...they even shared body panels.

BMW and Audi don't care either!?!

Every production car is built to a price/cost (Veyron being a possible exception). If you believe differently you are insane.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #122
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
So, you think that a manufacturer builds a car and determines the price? The price of the ZR-1 is the price that they built it to. GM didn't set out to build a $300,000 car and then cut the price to try to move them.
Nope, I never said that. I never said GM set out to build a $300k car, and the overall quality and volume of the car reflects that. What I'm saying is: CHEVROLET is not a premium sports car manufacturer like Ferrari/Porsche/Pagani/etc. They have in their mind of what a $100K Corvette should be capable of. Porsche has in its mind what a $100K Porsche should be capable of, and it's about a lot more than just outright performance. This is what, historically, separate a premium brand from others.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #123
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Clearly Porsche doesn't care about cost and they would never share components between their entry level model and their premium model...oh wait they did...they even shared body panels.

Every production car is built to a price/cost (Veyron being a possible exception). If you believe differently you are insane.
Honestly, Guibo's arguments never make much sense. We've learned to ignore him at 6Speed, I think you guys at E90 should too.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #124
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

If you believe Porsche/BMW/Audi/Veryon care as much to the extent that GM/Dodge do, then you're retarded. You are assuming something has been said, when it hasn't. Nor was it ever meant. The entry level Porsche is still much higher in quality and more bespoke than the entry level GM (which is built in Korea, no?). And it's priced to match. Meanwhile, the $100K ZR1 still has flimsy seats and a steering wheel out of a Malibu.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #125
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

SO... What is it chasing?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #126
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
People listen to you here because this website is 99% BMW fanboys, but then again, you're with your kin.
Ok, now who's trolling?

Still can't come up with the SCC Aero's 'Ring time?

Tiff Needell compared the Z06 to the F430, and GT2 and still thought the Z06 was better than both in feel.
Where did he say that?

Here's an American test, saying quite the opposite:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
The Z06 trailed the F430 and Turbo in steering feel, brake feel, and handling.

I don't think you want to know what the Germans and Italians thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #127
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #128
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
A 2005 Ford Focus.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #129
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If you believe Porsche/BMW/Audi/****** care as much to the extent that GM/Dodge do, then you're retarded. You are assuming something has been said, when it hasn't. Nor was it ever meant. The entry level Porsche is still much higher in quality and more bespoke than the entry level GM (which is built in Korea, no?). And it's priced to match. Meanwhile, the $100K ZR1 still has flimsy seats and a steering wheel out of a Malibu.
They all care about their profits.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #130
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
This has turned from a proper debate to a mud throwing match.

I'm done. When the debate returns to the subject matter then so will I.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #131
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
They all care about their profits.
Great. Now where did I say that they don't care about profits? I said other companies can (and do) care about things other than performance only.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #132
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:
:finger:

Quote: