E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > scotus rules that woman must pay $222k for sharing music

03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

scotus rules that woman must pay $222k for sharing music

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003

though she doesn't have any money anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003

though she doesn't have any money anyway
Might as well sue everyone then
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

isn't there some kind of law where if enough people break it then by default it's legal? meaning the people have voted through their direct actions.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
isn't there some kind of law where if enough people break it then by default it's legal? meaning the people have voted through their direct actions.
I don't think so. Underage drinking and smoking weed would be legal then lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

grandma at 35. wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
no, but courts have held that selective enforcement is not allow, they can not create a law then not enforce it then decide one day to enforce it or only enforce it some times. Courts usually do not like when that happens.

In these cases it is a civil matter and the RIAA did go after people, mostly college student since most universities rat out who the student was who were sharing files. This women as one of the few which the ISP turned over her information to the RIAA. prior to last month most ISP would not tell the RIAA who you were since they were barred form doing so and the RIAA had to provide their case first which is hard if they did not know who you were.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-19-2013 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
SCOTUS didn't rule on this. They refused to hear it.

Penalty seems excessive given other types of crimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
no, but courts have held that selective enforcement is not allow, they can not create a law then not enforce it then decide one day to enforce it or only enforce it some times. Courts usually do not like when that happens.

In these cases it is a civil matter and the RIAA did go after people, mostly college student since most universities rat out who the student was who were sharing files. This women as one of the few which the ISP turned over her information to the RIAA. prior to last month most ISP would not tell the RIAA who you were since they were barred form doing so and the RIAA had to provide their case first which is hard if they did not know who you were.
well it seems pretty obvious to me that most torrenters are hackers, so unless your home is raided or they see you downloading at starbucks, it was probably a hacker who broke into your wifi and masked your mac address. which makes me probable since i'm still on wep encryption.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

When will people realize that when something is illegal and they get caught doing it there are consequences?

People are stupid. And i don't mean stupid like can't get into a top university, i mean stupid like shouldn't have passed Jr High stupid.
      03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

you know what else is interesting: you can buy a shirt, wear it a few times, and return it because you don't like it. once you buy a cd, you're stuck with it. but the label guys seem to think that downloading = taking a shirt.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

like it or not the label guys are running a business. You ever seen a warning on a VHS or DVD movie. Same thing. They're not warning against you making a copy and giving it to your sister. They are warning against people making mass copies for distribution.

Making 100 songs available to millions of people for free downloading damages their income stream. It's not like they missed out on a $1 purchase, the potentially missed out on hundreds of millions of dollars they use to pay employee's salaries as well as royalties to musicians.

I think a dollar a song is pretty fair. I remember getting a CD for $10 and thinking that was a super deal. Most of the time there were 3 or 4 songs on the album that i wouldn't care for. So paying 7 or 8 bucks for the songs i want from an album still seems good to me. In a time where the price of goods are increasing, i'm still paying less than $10 for all the songs i want from an album.

People who wear a shirt a few times and then return it are 2 things. 1) Dirty stinking bastards 2) cheap lowlife bastards. Just my opinion though. I guess i come from a generation where the people who actually do the work should get the money. i.e. the people making the shirts, music, software, etc.....
      03-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
like it or not the label guys are running a business. You ever seen a warning on a VHS or DVD movie. Same thing. They're not warning against you making a copy and giving it to your sister. They are warning against people making mass copies for distribution.

Making 100 songs available to millions of people for free downloading damages their income stream. It's not like they missed out on a $1 purchase, the potentially missed out on hundreds of millions of dollars they use to pay employee's salaries as well as royalties to musicians.

I think a dollar a song is pretty fair. I remember getting a CD for $10 and thinking that was a super deal. Most of the time there were 3 or 4 songs on the album that i wouldn't care for. So paying 7 or 8 bucks for the songs i want from an album still seems good to me. In a time where the price of goods are increasing, i'm still paying less than $10 for all the songs i want from an album.

People who wear a shirt a few times and then return it are 2 things. 1) Dirty stinking bastards 2) cheap lowlife bastards. Just my opinion though. I guess i come from a generation where the people who actually do the work should get the money. i.e. the people making the shirts, music, software, etc.....
Amen... As a musician this was a tough for me, kid would buy my cd then talk about burning it for their friend in front of me. We always let it slide because we were happy to spread the music. But signed bands we toured with didn't even own those CDs they had with thier merch. It's a living for some.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

whether it's right or wrong, the mass public has accepted downloading and it won't stop. and i really don't think threatening poor people with bankruptcy is the answer.

besides, the actual recording artists don't make much from cd sales. it's about the merchandising, endorsements, and touring that comes after you get your name out there. and true fans will still pay the cash to have the cd + hardware. the same technology also allows musicians to distribute their own music without being beggars to the recording industry.

copying games (a related issue) has seen a downward trend with the rise of online gaming networks that require retail product keys. that and the fact that used games are cheap enough anyway.

i see your point, as i am an ideas guy and my ideas have been jacked several times, but i found a way. and i never took anyone to court.

one last related example: rothschild lafite goes for over $1500/bottle. they have a cheaper label that goes for $15 at cost plus: same grapes, same vineyard. sometimes i'll buy the cheap stuff, but i also have the real stuff.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 03-19-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
whether it's right or wrong, the mass public has accepted downloading and it won't stop. and i really don't think threatening poor people with bankruptcy is the answer.

besides, the actual recording artists don't make much from cd sales. it's about the merchandising, endorsements, and touring that comes after you get your name out there. and true fans will still pay the cash to have the cd + hardware. the same technology also allows musicians to distribute their own music without being beggars to the recording industry.

copying games (a related issue) has seen a downward trend with the rise of online gaming networks that require retail product keys. that and the fact that used games are cheap enough anyway.

i see your point, as i am an ideas guy and my ideas have been jacked several times, but i found a way. and i never took anyone to court.

one last related example: rothschild lafite goes for over $1500/bottle. they have a cheaper label that goes for $15 at cost plus: same grapes, same vineyard. sometimes i'll buy the cheap stuff, but i also have the real stuff.
There is no question that it's wrong and I agree that it won't stop; but that won't make it legal. Most people stealing music have your attitude and just say deal with it to the industry producing that music. People just need to own their actions. If you pirate music, movies, games, etc... and get busted, you could face a law suit and or criminal charges. Deal with it.

Here is an example that is actually related. People bitching about getting a speeding ticket and being pissed at the cop for enforcing the law. Saying that EVERYONE speeds but I got busted. Well, lets examine the facts: Were you speeding? Yes. Did you get busted doing so? Yes. Your prize is a ticket. What's hard to understand about that? I don't hear people coming on the forum to celebrate speeding every day and not getting busted. ??
      03-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
There is no question that it's wrong and I agree that it won't stop; but that won't make it legal. Most people stealing music have your attitude and just say deal with it to the industry producing that music. People just need to own their actions. If you pirate music, movies, games, etc... and get busted, you could face a law suit and or criminal charges. Deal with it.
[no. (meaning i'm convinced i'm trying to have an intellectual conversation with a wall, and will stop wasting my keystrokes now). i don't think it's wrong.]

what are you, fbi? cia? anyway i have diplomatic immunity but i'm just speaking up for the little guys.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 03-19-2013 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
[no. (meaning i'm convinced i'm trying to have an intellectual conversation with a wall, and will stop wasting my keystrokes now). i don't think it's wrong.]

what are you, fbi? cia? anyway i have diplomatic immunity but i'm just speaking up for the little guys.
You have diplomatic immunity from what -HIV?
Ofcourse it's wrong. But there is no way to stop it, like drugs. So artist have to give up the little fish (record sales) and go after the big ones (shows, endorsments).
Pls entertain OT with some of the brilliant ideas you have come up with that others have tried to steal.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't care if you think it's wrong or not. Thankfully, your opinion bears no weight with in our legal system. Your immunity also has no affect on the law. The fact remains that it's illegal. For those of us who don't benefit from your immunity we have to know that there are consequences for illegal actions.
      03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
f30nynj
Chilling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3

Quote:

Little guys are breaking the law of pirating music & distributing to millions and you stand by it. What sort of diplomat would do that?

I am just wondering how much would she have paid the lawyers to keep defending. (Could've used the funds to settle early)
2013 F30 -> SOLD
2007 E90 -> SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:

They don't make much off of music sales. But most start in debt the label and those salsa get them out of debt so they don't have to spend thier income to pay back the label.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

it's ok, i'm out /thread

(please send your royalty checks to van gogh's estate)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Come back and fight, you coward!
Appreciate 0