E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Sebastian Vettel goes to Ferrari!

10-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Sebastian Vettel goes to Ferrari!

Sebastian Vettel will leave Red Bull at the end of the year. Daniil Kvyat will partner Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull.
      10-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #2
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

According to Christian Horner:

"He's not going to Caterham."

Glad he cleared that up.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Vettel Leaves Red Bull, Alonso May Leave Ferrari, Everything Is Crazy
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/vettel...2368992/+damon
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Good riddance, twat.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Question is, where's LH going ?
      10-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Question is, where's LH going ?
Asked by Sky Sports F1 if Alonso had ever been a consideration by Mercedes for 2015, Lauda replied: "No. Confirmed: we have Lewis and we have Nico. They are on the front-row of the grid [in Japan], why should we change anything?

"For us it's clear because we never even discussed with him [Alonso] because Lewis has a contract for next year and Nico has two more years."

Rosberg signed a new multi-year contract earlier this year while the team are also eager to renew Hamilton's contract.

He added: "With Lewis now we're negotiating to renew his contract after 2015. 100%. For two or three years. We're just talking to him how long does he do. We're all positive, he's positive this is going to happen."
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Cool, another driver question to be answered next year:
Who is faster, Kimi or Vettel?

This year we got to know that:
- Daniel Ricciardo is faster than Vettel.
- Alonso is faster than Kimi.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

In Kimi's case mustn't forget that the current Ferrari was developed with Alonso for his liking different driving style to Kimi.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZABO View Post
In Kimi's case mustn't forget that the current Ferrari was developed with Alonso for his liking different driving style to Kimi.
Kimi is one of my favorite drivers, I like him better than Alonso as a person but this is a poor excuse IMO. Being fast is also being able to be efficient in working with your crew to setup the car for you. I have zero illusion that Kimi would be faster in any car the two of them is given. Alonso so is just a beast behind the wheel and I doubt anyone except maybe LH can match him in the same car among today's drivers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Despite what Alonso says his only option is McLaren. It will be awkward situation with Ron Dennis after what happened in 2007.
      10-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
Despite what Alonso says his only option is McLaren. It will be awkward situation with Ron Dennis after what happened in 2007.
Good One. I wonder if Ron is going to ask for his $100 million back.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Good One. I wonder if Ron is going to ask for his $100 million back.
How many championship points would he need to score for them to earn that $100M back??? lol But, if anybody can do it--Freddy can.

But, I agree--gotta be really awkward, if so...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
sunnyadam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel will leave Red Bull to join Ferrari, replacing Fernando Alonso, who is set for McLaren.
Red Bull announced on Saturday that 27-year-old Vettel had "advised them" he would be leaving.
Play media
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel
Sebastian Vettel: Feels like right time to leave Red Bull
Team principal Christian Horner said Ferrari had made Vettel "a very attractive offer."
Alonso, 33, still had two more years to run on his contract but he and Ferrari have agreed to separate.
Horner also revealed that Vettel only told him of his decision to leave on Friday night - in the middle of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend - hours before the official announcement was made.
"All I can do is wish him the very best for the future," he said.
Vettel will be replaced at Red Bull by Russian Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat.
Neither Vettel's move to Ferrari nor Alonso's switch to McLaren have yet been officially announced, but both are expected to be in the coming days.
Aside from McLaren, Alonso's only other options are to retire or to take a sabbatical year, neither of which are considered likely.
Vettel, who has been out-shone by new team-mate Daniel Ricciardo this year, has been backed by Red Bull since he was 12 years old, but said he wanted to "do something else, something new".
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Ferrari is probably a long term prospect for VET who can wait for them to get competitive again. On the face of it as far as the 2015 season goes ALO is better off in McLaren with a Honda engine
      10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
IrishNoodles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 JCW

Alonso will do well with McLaren-Honda. Vettel will only do well in a Ferrari if its the best car they've ever produced and is a better car than all other F1 cars out there!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
glockz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
That assumes Ron will be with the team next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/178623.html

I have it on good authority that both Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso recently flew into Farnborough on different days. On each occasion, they were scooped up by Mercedes vehicles and whisked away without ceremony. The McLaren Technology Centre is 15 miles east of the private airport.

Do you see where I'm coming from? Or, more to the point, where they might have been going to? To the best of my knowledge, neither Seb or Fernando have relatives or mates in Surrey they might have been calling on for afternoon tea.

The obvious implication is that McLaren were/are talking to the drivers individually. But here's a thought: An Alonso/Vettel partnership in the mould of Senna/Prost is the sort of thing Ron Dennis dreams of and perhaps explains what I thought to be a contented look during his interview with Martin Brundle for Sky F1 last weekend.

Thinking about it further, Vettel has not actually said he's going to Ferrari; Christian Horner has done it for him - but mainly through innuendo. On the other hand, Ferrari's Marco Mattiacci made no comment, which suggests discussions with Vettel are on-going. Were that not the case and a McLaren/Vettel deal had been done, Mattiacci would surely have issued a strong rebuttal, if only to take the heat off the inference that Sebastian would be replacing Fernando.

Forget the thought that Alonso wouldn't want to return to McLaren after the debacle over Spygate. Fernando is, above all, a ruthless pragmatist, as is Dennis. The 2007 season was a long time ago in racing terms and, as Sir Frank Williams used to say when a fib had been exposed: "circumstances change".

The biggest change, of course, is the return of Honda in 2015. This may not be 1988 when Honda arrived at McLaren and swept all before them; the competition is ten times stronger for a start and the power unit package infinitely more complex. But word has it that the work done so far in Japan is mighty impressive and Honda have had more technical freedom than Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari to incorporate the latest know-how into the 2015 power unit. As Dennis said in the Sky F1 interview: "Honda's commitment is mind-blowing. The engine is a piece of jewellery. It's performing better than expected by this time in the development programme. The competitiveness of the engine is going to be, without question, for 2015."

In any case, McLaren-Honda has to be a better potential bet than Ferrari in its current state. Which leads to the obvious question: why on earth would Vettel want to go to Maranello right now? Personally, I don't believe the cache of racing for Ferrari is a strong enough incentive, although I do agree there would be some merit in wishing to get away from the smiling and very quick Daniel Ricciardo at the other side of the Red Bull garage.

So, how about a move to McLaren-Honda instead, even if Alonso is in the other car? Racing drivers being racing drivers, Vettel will believe he can beat Fernando just as surely as Alonso thinks he could see off Seb. You have to say it was 50-50 when they were at each other's throats during that terrific struggle at Silverstone.

"We want the most competitive drivers available," Dennis told Brundle in response to a question about Alonso. "Of course, Fernando is one of them. I've talked to every driver in the pit lane - well, let's say, at the top end of the pit lane. There is no impediment to Lewis coming back, Fernando coming back, Jenson and Kevin staying. We have options."

Dennis then rounded off his interview (the full 42-minute version is well-worth watching, by the way) with a telling comment when discussing McLaren drivers past and present.

"What a privilege to work with so many world champions, share the successes and see them win in a McLaren car," said Ron. "It's just great." Then a brief pause, before adding with that wolfish grin. "And it's going to happen again in the future."

Alonso and Vettel? You can bet it's crossed Ron's mind more than once.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorspor...BcEXX0PBYMv.99
      10-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Ferrari is a no brainer for a driver like Vettel. He already has four championships under his belt and the perks of driving for a team like Ferrari are numerous. The Tifosi, the history, the street cars, etc are what drivers dream of. You don't grow up dreaming of driving for Red Bull, you dream of driving for Ferrari. He's not under any personal pressure to win championships so if this most famed team wants him to come onboard, why the hell not? The pros far outweigh the cons.

As for Alonso, he's in a bit of a pickle. His only option is McLaren. It's a pretty odd situation for the driver that many/most view as the best on the grid.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0