E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Need some car advice about to pull the trigger

02-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
mashinhead
Registered
Rep
Drives: na

Need some car advice about to pull the trigger

So i recently moved and I have been looking for a car and renting one for a month now. I've been agonizing over this decision for a while for a few reasons, one being that i'm moving into luxury class cars meaning i'm spending more than I have before and because of that I want to make sure of a couple things, one being this is something that I want to be sure I can live with, and two this will be exactly how I want it. The other thing thats been a problem is I have no idea what I want. Part of this comes from the fact that I don't have requirements for a car. I don't have kids. All I'm looking for a great driving experience. So here's where I'm at, and I'm looking to close this deal tomorrow or monday

A5 - I was seriously considering it because I love the design but I hate the engine. The driving experience is poor and not engaging. I suppose I could look at an S5 but I'm leasing and I think that will be too much. So I'm probably crossing this off.

BMW 135i - I drove this and its great, its a serious contender. I love the drive, but it lacks in the interior amenities, which i can live with. What i do want however is a good color combo and I'm sick of black on black cars. All dealers around here stock is black on black or white on black. I'm interested in neither.

BMW Z4 - I'll admit I've always had a soft spot for roadsters, and in my opinion this is the only roadster there is. I realize other companies make convertible coupes but to me that isn't a roadster. roadsters are lean small and nimble. I tried to test drive one in the color that I loved, black with ivory but during the test drive the car pretty much had a transmission failure, so I didn't really get to experience it. The problem with this is that I really only want this if I can get the 35i at least. And that is pretty pricey especially since most dealers order them with packages i neither want nor need. It's not that I can't afford it is that I really don't want to spend tons of money on a car, which leaves me with the 30i. Which somehow makes this less appealing to me. I love BMW's and believe me I've driven everything (A4 A5 335i x3, 135i G37s 335i GLK SL55 not to mention all my rental cars) in the past month and there is nothing better to drive than a BMW. And I'm really only interested in a larger engine or whats the point right?

Infiniti G37 S of M37 - So why is this on the list? Simple. The company I work for, the one I moved for, does work for them, meaning as an employee I get a discount. So this isn't the car I love... but its a great deal. I essentially get specs on par with the 35i engine (even though it truly wouldn't be the same) for the price of the 28i engine and fully loaded. So its hard to pass up. I would easily save $300 a month.

Either way I haven't gotten very far just contemplating so if there is anything you guys can contribute that you think might help I would loooooooovvvve to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

No BRAINER....G37..driving a bmw is not worth an other extra 300 a month...300 is a lot...also don't think that any of those vehicle are luxury cars....all of them except the Z4 are entry level....there's nothing luxurious about a 135I nor GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

A5 = Looker but not a true performer.
135i = Performer but not a looker.
Z4 = Great car but the interior ergonomics is hella weird (at least for me)
G37 = Pretty good looker and performer; closest to 335i and hella cheap

I'd go for the Infiniti, especially if there's a huge financial incentive as you stated.
      02-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

A5 with the 2.0T is a nice car. Looks amazing.

There are guys in the Audi scene getting good numbers modding the turbo 4-cylinder. Plus the car is lighter than the V6.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
crew09
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 xdrive

Garage List
Have you thought about ordering a 135 or Z4 to spec? You could get the exact car you want in 6-8 weeks.

It would be hard to pass up a great deal on a G37 S.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

G37S.

The 2.0T motor in the A5 can be a lot of fun to mod if you are into that. Software alone nets huge gains.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

I went from a 335 to a G37s and regret it. Price wise you'll get more for your money (options) or in your case $300. But performance you'll get nothing. The G37s has no torq at all, its like driving a civic you must rev the motor to get moving.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Dude do NOT get a G37 just because it is cheaper. I looked at them and the 370z before buying the 135. I took the test drives in both of them, and I walked, no ran out of the dealer.

If you can afford the 135 then get it and you will be much happier, but look for a 2009 or 08 with low miles to maybe save some cash.
      02-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Yeah you have to rev the G37 to get the torque when compared to the 335i.

Like an M3.