E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Disney World Vacation -- Insight + Recommendations + Tips Request

02-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Disney World Vacation -- Insight + Recommendations + Tips Request

I'm planning a vacation for my girlfriend, who's turning 22 in March, to Disney World -- so she can spend her birthday there.

I already got the new Disney promotion, which grants guests free tickets on their birthday. I will be buying a regular ticket for just that day (so that, that day is covered), but was wondering if the tickets w/ the park hopper option is worth it -- provided we want to spend more than 1 day at disney. Also, i got the AAA Diamond preferred parking voucher so that I can avoid the disney trams, and park right in front of the gates at disney world -- a great option to have if i decide to hop through the parks w/ that park hopper ticket...

Lastly, i already purchased a week stay in a one bedroom deluxe at Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Course; equipped w/ a king size bed, whirlpool tub, full kitchen, the works . So, i'm not interested in the disney resorts -- which i think is a big rip.

Does anyone have any helpful tips, recommendations, and money-saving ideas for tickets AS WELL AS any attractions I MUST VISIT during my stay in Florida?

I'm sure there are many people who have been to disney world -- i have never been, nor have i ever been to florida. Any helpful ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated; and i thank you guys for any feedback you guys might have in advance.

Cliff Notes:
1. What to do, what to get in Disney world?
2. Money saving tips for tickets and feedback regarding what type of tickets to get?
3. What attractions are a MUST in florida?
4. What restaurants/dinner shows are a must in florida?
5. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
I dont think there a parking spot right up at the gate in DW vs DL, you still gotta take the tram or boat
      02-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Islands of Adventure at Universal, and make sure you ride the Hulk.
      02-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Well, one thing you should know is that you can't remotely do Disney World in a day, or 2 or 3. You can basically do the highlights of one park in a day so you might as well make it the Magic Kingdom, especially for your girlfriend. The other thing you should try to arrange now is dinner there. Disney has literally literally scores of restaurants and some of them are top flight, but you need to book in advance. I would recommend the California Grille on the top of the Contemporary resort. You can watch the nightly fireworks from there. If you can't get that try the Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. It's more quiet/romantic. You take a boat there from the Magic Kingdom. You'll also be able to see what a real Disney resort is all about.
As for a park hopper, they are great if you're staying on the grounds and want to do one park in the morning and another in the afternoon. They're not so useful if you are schlepping your way in from the outside to do one park at a time. Of the 4 parks, the Animal Kingdom is the smallest in terms of things to do so if you don't have the time, skip it. You can also do Pleasure Island if you just want to have a nice dinner and hang out. The Cirque du Soliel show is pretty cool.
Universal is worth a day or 2. They have 2 parks and they're both pretty good in terms of rides for adults. Seaworld is ok, but not a must-do by any stretch. There are some very fun theme-restaurants on International Drive so you can check those out.
Basically, you are headed to the biggest tourist destination on the planet so the only real advice is to not get sucked into trying to do everything. Read up on the various parks so you know what rides are worth getting on, because you may be facing some line-time. Other than that, take your time, enjoy the weather.
      02-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Well, one thing you should know is that you can't remotely do Disney World in a day, or 2 or 3. You can basically do the highlights of one park in a day so you might as well make it the Magic Kingdom, especially for your girlfriend. The other thing you should try to arrange now is dinner there. Disney has literally literally scores of restaurants and some of them are top flight, but you need to book in advance. I would recommend the California Grille on the top of the Contemporary resort. You can watch the nightly fireworks from there. If you can't get that try the Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. It's more quiet/romantic. You take a boat there from the Magic Kingdom. You'll also be able to see what a real Disney resort is all about.
As for a park hopper, they are great if you're staying on the grounds and want to do one park in the morning and another in the afternoon. They're not so useful if you are schlepping your way in from the outside to do one park at a time. Of the 4 parks, the Animal Kingdom is the smallest in terms of things to do so if you don't have the time, skip it. You can also do Pleasure Island if you just want to have a nice dinner and hang out. The Cirque du Soliel show is pretty cool.
Universal is worth a day or 2. They have 2 parks and they're both pretty good in terms of rides for adults. Seaworld is ok, but not a must-do by any stretch. There are some very fun theme-restaurants on International Drive so you can check those out.
Basically, you are headed to the biggest tourist destination on the planet so the only real advice is to not get sucked into trying to do everything. Read up on the various parks so you know what rides are worth getting on, because you may be facing some line-time. Other than that, take your time, enjoy the weather.

+1..i couldn't agree more...

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
no chance in hell you are going to see everything in a couple of days, even a week is iffy.. But as someone said above Magic kingdom is the way to go.. Sea world is fun too, I think universal studios is better in Cali.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Awesome... i'll be sure to make reservations, etc. I'll be there from the 14th to 21st, so it's a full week of, probably, all things disney. Thanks again (all) for your tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
If you could make a jump the hour or so to Cape Canaveral it is really worth it. Getting a tour of NASA is unreal. I had the opportunity to see STS117 launch because a friend of mine who works for NASA got me VIP tickets. It was insane:

02-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
dasReaper
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i Black/Black

I went with my family last year. I do believe 2008 was the last year for pleasure island. I heard they were tearing it down to put up something more "family friendly" which is a damn shame. Pleasure Island was some good freakin times!
      02-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I took my gf to Disneyworld in '07, stayed at the Disney caribbean resort...nice place.
No way will you be able to see everything in 1 day...it's 3 days minimum at least depending how fast you go thru the parks and the lines...if it's around any major holidays or school off days.

I went to the animal kindom, magic kingdom and took 3 good days to go thru everything.

If you stayed at any of the disney resorts, it's free soft drink refills unlimited for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Bring bottled water, wear good sneakers, have plenty of free space on the digital camera card, and best of all, just have fun.

You may like the stunt cars display they have.

BTW if you land in Orlando on a MD-80, don't mind the shuttering brakes as it taxi to the gate from landing

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #11
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasReaper View Post
I went with my family last year. I do believe 2008 was the last year for pleasure island. I heard they were tearing it down to put up something more "family friendly" which is a damn shame. Pleasure Island was some good freakin times!
Really? Damn!

I went there in '07...right after work I hopped on a Delta flight at the airport I was working in and got to Orlando and didn't have dinner til I got to the Planet Hollywood and it was almost 11pm....after dinner it was off to Pleasure Island to party til I walked my drunk ass back to the caribbean resort (WTF were those disney buses?) and used the key to the wrong room til I realized it was next door...crashed bed and didn't get up til 11am next morning. Being up from 4am to 2:30am took a toll on me that day.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yes, it looks like they've closed all of the nightclubs on Pleasure Island. I'm surpised they closed all of them, that suggests that there was something very wrong going on there (from Disney's point of view), not just low attendance. The shops, some restaurants and Cirque du Soliel are still there. One thing Disney says they are building is a big dinosaur-theme restaurant. Sounds fun, but it won't open for about year.
Speaking of which, if you do plan on going to the Animal Kingdom, don't walk straight in through the gates, but detour to the left and have breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe. If you've never eaten in one before, the animatronic animals are pretty interesting and the restaurant has it's own entrance into the park.
      02-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'll do a little research to Cape Canaveral... I love airplanes and all, but not sure if my girlfriend is down for it.

As for rainforest cafe, i've been to two of them... i think the atmosphere is nice, but sometimes, the screaming monkeys get on my nerves lol.

I won't be flying there... i'll be driving nearly 1000miles from MD -- so airports and all that are not an issue. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys, they've been really helpful thus far.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
dasReaper
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i Black/Black

At downtown disney i will recommend the Cuban restaraunt. It is very authentic and great good. Cirque du Soliel is good however i don't think its worth the price it costs to get good seats. I stayed at the polynesian which i really like. Something the girlfriend will probally like is the spa at the Grand Floridian. I'm not one for spas myself but i must say when my gf and I went there it was extremely relaxing.
      02-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
NYBMW335
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i jet black/black

By the way, the week from FEB 14-21 is going to crowded as hell. All the kids are off from school for winter break, so get ready for some BIG LINES. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasReaper View Post
At downtown disney i will recommend the Cuban restaraunt. It is very authentic and great good. Cirque du Soliel is good however i don't think its worth the price it costs to get good seats. I stayed at the polynesian which i really like. Something the girlfriend will probally like is the spa at the Grand Floridian. I'm not one for spas myself but i must say when my gf and I went there it was extremely relaxing.
Always wanted to try cuban food. Also, what are the range of prices for Cirque? I've seen them in NY once from the 2nd row, and they were spectacular. I'm planning on seeing Cirque again, since my gf never saw them perform, but are the prices ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBMW335 View Post
By the way, the week from FEB 14-21 is going to crowded as hell. All the kids are off from school for winter break, so get ready for some BIG LINES. Sorry.
March 14-21... I'm assuming that's spring break for a lot of schools...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:

February is usually pretty quiet, but that's President's day week so there will be a little traffic. We used to do that week about 4 years in a row and the crowds were never bad. Mid-March will probably be worse, but it's still not as bad as summer.

Look on-line for the Cirque tickets. They'll probably be about the same as a Broadway show. You don't need tickets for the front/front. See if you can get them for the front of the back half of the theatre.
      02-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Always wanted to try cuban food. Also, what are the range of prices for Cirque? I've seen them in NY once from the 2nd row, and they were spectacular. I'm planning on seeing Cirque again, since my gf never saw them perform, but are the prices ridiculous?

March 14-21... I'm assuming that's spring break for a lot of schools...
+1, good lucky buddy lol You should get the fast pass deal, I think its worth it...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #19
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm that, all flights out of EWR to FL for that week is overbooked by a few.
Close to overbook out of LGA and JFK to FL...damn schools!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #20
NYBMW335
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i jet black/black

^^ yeah, my fiancee is a teacher so i know. Its pretty funny, 80% of her students are going to Disney World.

But that shouldn't be a problem for the OP, because he's going in MArch. i misunderstood him the first time i read it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #21
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^ yeah, my fiancee is a teacher so i know. Its pretty funny, 80% of her students are going to Disney World.

But that shouldn't be a problem for the OP, because he's going in MArch. i misunderstood him the first time i read it.
Good to know! A lot of colleges are off during March, and i don't think the majority of college kids are going to disney for their spring break
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
Dillusion
is ross
France
Rep
Drives: E90

A) Feb 14-21 is not spring break. UCF doesnt get out until march, neither does FSU or any of the CC's...

B) Island of adventure is the newest coolest place to be, unless you kids are <8 yrs old, then go to disney

C) go shopping at the outlets across the way (I4 is a huge highway and has everything on it)

D) If u want those white roundel triangles I might have a few left over