E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Roof Coatings

08-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Roof Coatings

Here's the situation. House has an old roof thats pretty beat up. HOA is bitching that the roof needs to be cleaned, however it was cleaned less than a year ago and even right after still looked kinda dirty (it's a yellow/beige color). Now given that the roof is in a fragile state I don't really much care to have someone try to clean it again. Last time ended up getting a leak shortly after they washed it cost me $1k to fix.

Now I've noticed other houses in the community that seem to have the same type of roof have this thick coating over it. Like my flat concrete tiles are very porous and thats where they gather dirt. These other roofs have a coating of almost very thick paint that covers the tiles and also makes them smooth.

Anyways I found out its some kind of water proofing seal they put on the roof which they then paint whatever color. Soooo... I went and got a quote on having this done, almost $9k!!!! Almost shit my pants, now I'm still waiting on a couple other companies to quote me, but still way more than I expected. I got quotes on a totally new roof a while back and that was like $25k.

So does anyone have any experience with these coatings? Are they worth it? I reeeeeaallly don't want to fork over $25k for a new roof, but at the same time I don't want to spend $9k on crap that wont do anything.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Appreciate 0