E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Iphone 4

06-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #67
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post

I highly disagree it is for the average joe, it is the best product on the market for EVERYONE. By specific i meant if you would like to develop for the android(Waste of time if your after $)

At&t service with the iphone is not that great, it does suck, however I'm also convinced anyone who puts 50m iphones on their network would have the same problems. And truth be told I think at&t has done a great job of ramping it up, the issue was not with data, it is with voice.

osx has what 12% market share now? that is redic as it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ms latest offering, but people don't know what is good for them.

People are not rational they do not make informed decisions, honestly if you do not run osx, or have a smart phone that is not an iphone again for ANY specific reason and the reasons you give will be fixed in time, not implementation does not know what they are missing.

It's the same thing as if bmw were cheap as hondas and people still bought hondas.
Developing for Android is a waste of time and $? Wow.

How is OSX so much better than 7? I agree Vista was the worst OS in the history of computers, but 7 is real. I'm no Windows fanboy either. 7 has definitely weakened the argument that a machine which comes with OSX and the Apple logo is worth the price disparity. MS shot themselves in the foot with Vista, and I truly believe a large amount of the share they lost and continue to not possess in the future is due to the fact that Vista was absolute shit for its time, and people just won't get over that. That's fine. MS deserves to lose market share over that debacle.

And don't even get me started on their smartphone OS's.... Terrible and seemingly moving in an even worse direction. F'n clueless in that department. I doubt they will ever even come close to competing with the Android OS, let alone the iPhone. I have been wrong before though....

I don't think the iPhone is the diety you seem to think it is. The gap in quality and usability is closing rapidly, but Apple doesn't even have to worry because they do have, as Dan put it, a rabid fan base, many of whom wouldn't consider a device twice as good if it wasn't an iPhone. To disagree with that is dumb.

And, as far as the Honda argument goes, if my specific reason would be that I needed a car that didn't spend so much time in the shop, or that I wanted to keep for a long time, then yeah I'd still buy the Honda. I don't see that as a very specific reason. Seems pretty general to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #68
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Uhm, 90% of apps on the android platform are pirated. It's not just because the iphone has a bigger marketshare, and just like osx apps do much better for developers, because people buy, not steal, ofcourse thats slowly changing for osx.

There is not much money for developers on the droid. Look at the figures of what apps make on iphone vs droid market, it's not a developers playground.

Sure if you want it to be free and open source, than it does not make much difference, but the app store on apple is making people millions over fist.

Windows 7 just came out, its just catching up to tiger, the next osx will be mile ahead as usual.

Do you see similarities? People play catch up because apple is a company that innovates and revolutionizes their ideas and designs. Everyone elses copies.

Yes its not god like, the jesus phone as people say but it's pretty pretty pretty close.

The gap between usability and quality is not even close to coming close, only place is hardware and who cares about hardware when the software is no up to par?
      06-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #69
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
The gap between usability and quality is not even close to coming close, only place is hardware and who cares about hardware when the software is no up to par?

:shrugs: I use both OS's daily, Android on my work phone and iOS on my personal phone. Android is just as usable and high quality as iOS and much easier to customize the way I want it.
      06-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #70
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong as far as my experience, and I don't need to refute that.

No one will ever dethrone the iphone not because of its fan base, but because of their track record of getting things right. None of the things they have really done are new, but they rework existing ideas and as steve jobs say make it "magic".
I could go into the other pieces you mentioned, but I'll focus on this.

That is the most short-sighted, and borderline stupid thing I've ever heard. That's what has been said about every company, every product, every EVERYTHING that has exist since the beginning of time.... and they're all eventually dethroned.

They will lose their hold eventually, someone will destroy them. Be it for price, be it for open source, be it an internal mistake.... be it by getting in bed with ATT, or something else entirely different...... mark my words, they will eventually go down.

With this in mind, I do believe the Iphone is currently the best phone on the market, but when you're #1........ lots of people want that spot, and the only way you have to go is down.
Think about it this way, they're one company....with essentially one product (apple computers are a niche, and niche only product, they are a VERY long way away from truly competing). Most of their resources are dedicated towards said product, so they will continue to grow. But they're also competing against many many other big, 'top dogs', that all want that spot, and will do anything to get it...

I am the one that called the iphone revolutionary in the cell phone industry. Does this mean they'll always remain top dog? Hell no.....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #71
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
I'm sorry; I've owned all three iterations of the iPhone so far, and I have to say that the Android software is "up to par". I don't know why you would think it wasn't; maybe you're either terribly biased or just don't know better due to not having used a recent Android device.

And, let's be honest, for the most part, Apple is playing catch-up in many of the hardware aspects of the phone at this point, not the other way around. They still do have a distinct advantage in the touch screen at this point, but I have to tell you, the gap between the iPhone touch screen and competitor offerings has been significantly reduced in just the past few months. I don't think it'll be long before that is completely nullified.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #72
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
:shrugs: I use both OS's daily, Android on my work phone and iOS on my personal phone. Android is just as usable and high quality as iOS and much easier to customize the way I want it.
I've used and use both... I do agree with the basic premise, that for the average person the iphone OS is hands down the best. But they won't stay that way... refer to above post
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #73
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

And, let's be honest, for the most part, Apple is playing catch-up in many of the hardware aspects of the phone at this point, not the other way around. They still do have a distinct advantage in the touch screen at this point, but I have to tell you, the gap between the iPhone touch screen and competitor offerings has been significantly reduced in just the past few months. I don't think it'll be long before that is completely nullified.
EXACTLY

and on a side note, the fact that the apple is barely hanging onto it's hardware curve amuses me to no end.

classic apple used to be well well above the tech curve....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #74
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

To sum up...before I start to spam too much.

All the iphone fan bois need to wake up and smell the roses. I will go ahead and give it to the iphone... Currently it is the best phone on the market. Fine. But they are not nearly as far ahead as they were say...3 years ago....2 years ago...or even 1 year ago...
This gap is drastically being reduced.

They'll keep the top spot for a while...but inevitably they will start to slide.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #75
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
EXACTLY

and on a side note, the fact that the apple is barely hanging onto it's hardware curve amuses me to no end.

classic apple used to be well well above the tech curve....

As a loyal Apple user, I couldn't agree more. I like most of their products as a personal preference, but they really are barely hanging on to the curve.
      06-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #76
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
To sum up...before I start to spam too much.

All the iphone fan bois need to wake up and smell the roses. I will go ahead and give it to the iphone... Currently it is the best phone on the market. Fine. But they are not nearly as far ahead as they were say...3 years ago....2 years ago...or even 1 year ago...
This gap is drastically being reduced.

They'll keep the top spot for a while...but inevitably they will start to slide.

I really think they wasted a year of development going from 3G to 3G S. "Oh, it's twice as fast!!" Um, okay, it's the same exact phone but faster. Talk about innovation.
      06-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #77
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
I've owned both and happen to be a user interface designer by trade. Android is definitely not as usable as iOS. It's not nearly as well designed from a design or usability perspective. Of course if you use them both daily, they will both feel just as usable. I'm sure pilots feel that the cockpit of their plane is just as usable. Android is good, but iOS IS a better designed OS just as OS X is a better designed OS than Windows 7.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #78
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I really think they wasted a year of development going from 3G to 3G S. "Oh, it's twice as fast!!" Um, okay, it's the same exact phone but faster. Talk about innovation.
My theory with that is that they spent that year of 'development' budget for marketing.

Have no real problems with that, it worked out well for them.

Although that does raise the particularly good point that the iphone has barely changed from the original 3g to the iphone 4. In reality we're talking pretty minuscule changes, in the grand scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #79
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've owned both and happen to be a user interface designer by trade. Android is definitely not as usable as iOS. It's not nearly as well designed from a design or usability perspective. Of course if you use them both daily, they will both feel just as usable. I'm sure pilots feel that the cockpit of their plane is just as usable. Android is good, but iOS IS a better designed OS just as OS X is a better designed OS than Windows 7.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #80
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As a loyal Apple user, I couldn't agree more. I like most of their products as a personal preference, but they really are barely hanging on to the curve.
I'm glad there's someone that actually realizes what apple was/is.

I used to LOVE apples back in the day, but there compatibility blew, so never gave them a real thought....
reason why I loved them? Their tech blew PCs out of the water....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #81
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
They improved the software. You forget Apple has limited resources. They are a big company, but their core pool of employees that work on the important part of hardware/software are a lot more focused. The same guys who work on the iPhone OS are also working on the iPad and Mac OS. You notice that Apple tends to put focus on one big product every 6 months? They just don't have the resources to do too much at one time.

The move from the 3G to 3GS was actually a big deal because of OS3. I can't stand using an iPhone older than the 3GS because of the performance issues.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #82
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Honestly I lost just by participating in thread and arguing.

I see no point in android, and unless there is a drastic improvement never wil.. Web OS is better, why? because part of the team were ex apple employees.

Heck the new windows mobile shows more promise.

The entire android is fragmented.

Have fun on android, and windows 7
      06-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #83
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm pre-ordering an iPhone 4 as soon as that's possible. I feel that both OSs look good in their own way as far as design is concerned.
      06-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #84
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly I lost just by participating in thread and arguing.

I see no point in android, and unless there is a drastic improvement never wil.. Web OS is better, why? because part of the team were ex apple employees.

Heck the new windows mobile shows more promise.

The entire android is fragmented.

Have fun on android, and windows 7

You also lost by making ignorant statements, claims without backing and using terrible grammar and paragraph structure. I'll have fun on Android, iOS and OS X, you can have fun being a blind fanboy.
      06-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #85
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
wow nice
video calling sick..
its sad how in other countries...video calling has been out for years. we are so behind!
      06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #86
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
its sad how in other countries...video calling has been out for years. we are so behind!

Video calling has been out for years here too.
      06-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #87
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Network management and innovation...that's what it comes down to.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #88
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lot easier for other markets (Japan) to incorporate such a fast network when their physical geography is so small.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0