E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 16 year old reckless driver of 07 BMW in Fatal accident.

06-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #45
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Please do not include me in your generalization. In NYS, legal limit is 70% (lets 70% of light thru) which is like not having tint at all. Since I tend not to stray outside the letter of the law, I decided not to tint. I also have affixed my front license plate to the bumper, as per the NYS motor vehicle code.

Yes, some people choose to disregard the laws of their state. Saying that everyone does, is just not accurate.
+2
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #46
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
How do you it was a 335i?
I don't - my mistake. I assumed as much and I shouldn't have. Giving a 16 year old a 328i doesn't make much more sense than a 335i though. For all we know it was a 2007 M6.

While I agree any car can go fast eventually, any BMW is going to get to reckless speeds much quicker than most cars, and give an illusion of safety to one without driving experience.
      06-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #47
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
It depends on what you consider fast. IMO, fast to a teenager is any car that can go 100 mph. When I was 16 I had a car with 160 hp and I still thought it was fast as hell. I crashed it showing off to someone because they said it wasn't fast.

It doesn't matter if your kid is in a BMW, a Civic, a Ford, etc. they will drive fast if they want to.

The best thing you can do for your kid is just put them in something safe.

Although the kid is going to jail, he is alive and unharmed. I may not be able to say that had he been driving another car.

hehe...i agree...but my kid will be driving a 1989 volvo 240...with just abit over 100hp...haha....so he can't even go 80...barely make it to 65...lol
      06-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #48
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

I dont see how driving a honda civic reckelssly is any different than this especially considering it could have been a 328/528/x3/ etc etc.. and who says it was even his? maybe it was his parent's car and he took it out for a joy ride without them knowing?

You guys need to have your jump to conclusions mats revoked. this was just a standard kid driving wrecklessly scenario until someone proves otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #49
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
Nope, parents just shouldn't be buying their kids sports cars. Give them nice reliable honda civic or something similar. A 16 year old kid does not need (and isn't likely able to handle) a 300hp car. Hell, kids should be so lucky to get something like a civic, that would have been a huge upgrade for me at the age of 16... and I still had to pay for my shit.
Not sure your age but I grew up on 300hp + cars, that had no handling and lots of steel around them. To steal a phase from the NRA, Horsepower does not kill, people do.

Not making a joke of it but someone here said it has nothing to do with age which is true it is about experience and whether the person behind the wheel has any idea what happens when things go bad. They can easily kill or injure someone with a Honda civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1 View Post
Anyone find what 2007 BMW the kid was driving? Any BMW is high performance but some are more powerful than others.
Keeping what I said above, driving a BMW is more safe today for kids then the cars of yesteryears. I had a 50's (No I did not grow up in the 50's) hotrod that if you hit the brakes too hard, front end would dive down cause the car to steer to the left across the center line. I had to learn on quick braking to turn the wheel to the right to keep this from happening. In some regard those old cars taught you that anything could happen and always be alert.

But it also shows how stupid or lack of caring some people have these days to wreck a car like this. The have no concept how bad things can turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
How do you it was a 335i?
I think they are assuming 335i since most kids would not want to drive a 7 series or maybe a 5 series, and if the car was bought for the kid to drive the 3 series is usually the one you see them in.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #50
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Keeping what I said above, driving a BMW is more safe today for kids then the cars of yesteryears. I had a 50's (No I did not grow up in the 50's) hotrod that if you hit the brakes too hard, front end would dive down cause the car to steer to the left across the center line. I had to learn on quick braking to turn the wheel to the right to keep this from happening. In some regard those old cars taught you that anything could happen and always be alert.

But it also shows how stupid or lack of caring some people have these days to wreck a car like this. The have no concept how bad things can turn.
Chances are your car didnt excelerate as fast as a modern BMW. Plus your old car kept you alert always reminding you the car could get out of control at any time. That probably taught you to be a better driver & kept you under control. Maybe you were the exception to the rule as a kid and were a great driver. Maybe you were just lucky not to have been in a horrible accident as a kid. No one will ever know. In any case the incidents involving bad drivers in powerful cars can be summed up with John C's earlier quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
While I agree any car can go fast eventually, any BMW is going to get to reckless speeds much quicker than most cars, and give an illusion of safety to one without driving experience.
That pretty much sums up how these bad drivers, including many inexperienced & wild driving kids, get into trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
but my kid will be driving a 1989 volvo 240...
That's just MEAN. I know from personal experience, I went from the '70 Cougar to a 75 245 DL. Cop once tried to write me a ticket for 80+ and pulling away from him. I told him I saw him on the on-ramp, was going 65, and stayed there until his lights came on. Look at this car, it's a 4-cyl wagon, no judge is going to beleive you were doing 80+ and I was pulling away from you. He wrote me for 65 in a 55. But I knew in the Slovo there was very little chance I was going to get hurt in an accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #52
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Hey, hey...let's not turn this into another argument. There are plenty of teens on this board and out there on the roads that DO NOT drive fast and kill people. If this weren't true you would hear stories like this every day, not every few months.
Rougly 6 teens (16-17 yrs old) are killed every single day in motor vehicle accidents. (~2000 died in 2005). In terms of deaths per mile driven, teens die in car wrecks at a rate 4 times higher than any other age group.

The risk of death in an accident is 44 times higher for teens who drive to high school, versus those that ride the bus.

Data is in this report, from the IIHS:

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/iihs_1069.pdf

I would bet that there's several of these stories every day on various forums, we just don't read them.

I think all teens in BMWs are time bombs. =P
      06-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #53
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Naturally

this idiot is ok, and the innocent die/suffer.
Hope mommy and daddy are proud.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #54
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
for better or worse, there are very few cars on the market today that could be considered slow. That inlcudes accords, altimas camrys etc. What's irresponsible is how easy it is for ANYONE to get a license. I for one wish it was much tougher (similar to europe) to get a license. I see plenty of idiots (young and old) on the road who have no business driving.
+1 Germans drive MUCH better then us! i worked out there for months, very good drivers :rocks:

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #55
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

In addition-

to those who think kids will do the same stupid things, show-off, etc regardless of the car- you are very much mistaken.
Maybe if the moron, and his irresponsible moron parents, stuck him in a 1983 Volvo 240 for a year, we wouldn' t be discussing this.
There is no expectation of speed, no desire to show-off, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #56
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
My neighbor's son was selling his Pontiac Trans Am (or that other similar model), and another neighbor's 17 year old son was admiring it. The dad said "don't even think about it. Way too much horsepower and too much image for a 17 year old." The kid now drives a used Honda Accord.

There are still some parents out there that understand.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #57
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I don't care what you all have to say...

Teenagers shouldn't drive fast cars. PERIOD!

a 16-18 year old Does Not have enough driving experience/maturity to handle a fast car.

Stop this!

Accidents can happen no matter what and at any age, but being young increases your chance of reckless driving with a fast car.
      06-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #58
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts View Post
to those who think kids will do the same stupid things, show-off, etc regardless of the car- you are very much mistaken.
Maybe if the moron, and his irresponsible moron parents, stuck him in a 1983 Volvo 240 for a year, we wouldn' t be discussing this.
+100000
      06-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #59
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
IMO, probably a better attitude as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Not sure your age but I grew up on 300hp + cars, that had no handling and lots of steel around them. To steal a phase from the NRA, Horsepower does not kill, people do.

Not making a joke of it but someone here said it has nothing to do with age which is true it is about experience and whether the person behind the wheel has any idea what happens when things go bad. They can easily kill or injure someone with a Honda civic.
It's all about averages. Faster cars are more likely to get kids into trouble. That's a fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #60
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

at least this thread hsnt turned into all out personal attacks already.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #61
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
at least this thread hsnt turned into all out personal attacks already.
It has now your an ASSHOLE

J/K
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #62
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AG56QH4P11.DTL

I'll update the story as more info comes along.

Nothing can make up for the lack of experience.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #63
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
isnt this like the 3rd time a young kid has died in a new bimmer? Sad to see these...some kids these days need to know the responsibly of owning a high performance car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #64
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
If the kid had been driving a 2007 Chevy Cobalt or Honda Civic, the car would not have been mentioned in the article. If he had been driving a MB, it would have said, "2007 Mercedes." If he had been driving any sort of SUV, the vehicle would be identified simply as "SUV" -- unless, of course, it was a MB, BMW, Hummer, etc. SUV, in which case the writer would again mention the make and that it was a late model year. Just saying, I think BMW is mentioned for the visceral impact -- damn idiot spoiled rich-ass punk kid with his new Bimmer from mommy and daddy, and all.

To me, this sounds like "pick your poison." We have a 16 year old racing through public streets on the one hand and an 87 year old dude behind the wheel on the other. Yikes. I am glad I was nowhere near either of them.
      06-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #65
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaznumkay View Post
i wanna say that was just a joke ive stated before, but tinting below legal limit? everyone does it
i just want to justify my position if u see me as an immature 17yr "fuck the police" type of kid (popos have been nice to me before)
First off my cousing did what you are going to and I told him he is an idiot aswell. Going below the legal limit is just stupid in your case. Many guys here can not even go anywhere near below 30%. Yet, you still want to go lower than 28% to have an accident at night? You also stated fuck the police so you have that stigma attached to you now. Since fairly certain it was serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
Nope, parents just shouldn't be buying their kids sports cars. Give them nice reliable honda civic or something similar. A 16 year old kid does not need (and isn't likely able to handle) a 300hp car. Hell, kids should be so lucky to get something like a civic, that would have been a huge upgrade for me at the age of 16... and I still had to pay for my shit.
Nice reliable Honda Civic that they can easily tune and get really fast. Nice reliable Honda Civic that in most cases would show a BMW is safer. Yea, I am seeing your point. Wait.

Also, if you buy your kid a BMW. Why not send them to skid class, advanced training class etc. Get them more in tuned with their vehicle.

Your reasons can easily be debunked. Also it was not stated it was a 335i.

Quote:
First off, the kid is a moron. But calling his parents a moron? Making assumptions are we. As stated before maybe it wasnt even his vehicle.

Now kids will not show off regardless of car? haha. Are you young at all? Go to a high school parking lot and you will see. I know kids with station wagons who constantly peel out, floor their cars and just endanger everyone all the time. So you are wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
My neighbor's son was selling his Pontiac Trans Am (or that other similar model), and another neighbor's 17 year old son was admiring it. The dad said "don't even think about it. Way too much horsepower and too much image for a 17 year old." The kid now drives a used Honda Accord.

There are still some parents out there that understand.
That is a form of teaching by the parents. What if a parent bought their kid a BMW and had them get training by doing skid classes, advanced driving etc. He is a better parent because of that? I do not see that logic. Tomorrow(god forbid) his kid could die doing something stupid in a vehicle.
      06-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #66
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
To me, this sounds like "pick your poison." We have a 16 year old racing through public streets on the one hand and an 87 year old dude behind the wheel on the other. Yikes. I am glad I was nowhere near either of them.
Give me a road full of 87 yr olds over a road full of 16 yr olds any day of the week. Lets not fault the victim that wasnt doing anything wrong. There was only one problem on that road and it was a 16 year old in a performance auto. CA needs a graduated license system since there is no good way to weed the good drivers from the bad & still account for lack of parenting (giving an immature kid a performance car).
Appreciate 0