E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Chicks and sticks

05-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #23
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Chicks like guys that are good looking. If your ugly, nothing will help except MILLIONS $$$. FACT.
Not true! I had a co-worker at my old job who was bald and weighed well over 300lbs, yet he got chicks all the time. And some of them were quite attractive. His secret was that he was confident, charming and had a really outgoing and fun personality. Looks actually play a lot less into who women are attracted to then us guys like to think. Sure being good looking may make getting in the door a little easier, but if your charming, outgoing and fun you can talk almost any woman into going out with you.

Unfortunately I'm none of those things, but I managed to some how talk at least one into marrying me.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #24
rsx_r04
Rep
Drives: Coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Chicks like guys that are good looking. If your ugly, nothing will help except MILLIONS $$$. FACT.
Nicely said.

But that's not everything. It's also about confidence, sense of humour, general smartness, etc., etc.

I've noticed that a few of my female friends who know how to drive manual aren't really the best manual car drivers: aka burning the clutch more so than is necessary and can't rev-match downshift.

Frankly speaking, anyone can learn how to drive manual. But are they doing a good job?

It's only a very small percentage of people who actually know how to rev-match downshift, I've noticed.

Who knows what I'm talking about?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #25
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

How do you lean how to do things like rev-match down shifts and the "heal toe" technique? I've been driving stick my entire adult life and I don't even know what those terms mean.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #26
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

My last girlfriend could barely even drive a dam auto. I remember "Wait this reverse right? Got I feel like a blonde." 2 seconds passed then she went in reverse too quick and T boned a car in a parking lot. THEN TOOK OFF. Dam redheads...

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

My wife drives a stick. (Cooper S) She actually prefers it to an auto.
Guess that makes me a lucky guy.
Oh,..by the way,...she has already fallen in love w/ my 1er:wub:
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
DTLoughlin
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i think chicks don't like guys who drive stick just to be more appealing to chicks. chicks generally like guys who have the confidence to do their own thing because they enjoy it and not to impress chicks.
Exactly! And while we're on the "stick" issue....you will notice that some of the fastest times achieved with the 135 have been with an "automatic". I have owned several "performance" cars with 4, 5 and 6 speeds, the most recent being a 350z. All were fun, but to be totally honest, the shifting became tedious at times. Now I realize that I'm somewhat older than the majority of the 1Addicts members, so please do not take offense. I like acceleration, but unless you are extreamly good with a stick (especially a 6 speed), an "auto" will win the 0-60 contest. First gear in a 6 speed is for the most part a "creeper" gear and you better be out of it in a nano-second. Some will disagree, but the majority of us are only great shifters in our mind (and some are damn good). Again, please don't take offense but I'm getting a little tired of the assumption that stick is always the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #29
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

When in the hell did anyone figure out for sure what women want?

I am sure this would be big news to any of us, male and female alike.

For the record, my wife, soon to be of 20 years also, drives a manual well, and will be driving our 135i man. more than me!

She also liked our STi, S2000 (her favortite) and she drove my EVO8 too. She didn't like the EVO though. I had a Vishnu turbo-back on it, and the noise level was a bit high.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #30
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Research shows that there is a major difference between a chick's "first impressions" and then getting to know a guy better.

First impressions... they like good looks, and they like guys that are tall, and they like guys that are physically fit.

After that, it's up to the guy to carry himself well, have good self-esteem, confidence, and a sense of humor. Being able to actually listen and understand WTF a chick is talking about is a huge plus.

And, perhaps unfortunate but true, most chicks crave money and material success.

Beyond that, they want sensual and sexual pleasure... thank goodness.

So... overall, their demands are high nowadays.

My advise is always to just be ourselves! Enjoy our cars, our football games, baseball games, and other sports, our beer, our tools, going fishing, being goofy with our kids, and all the great things that we enjoy so much. Luckily, the right gal usually comes along that loves us for who we really are, no matter which transmission we choose for our cars... although they will continue to try to "fix" or "change" us as time goes... must be their job, as they understand it.

In the meantime, we have Oprah... who continues daily to confuse the hell out of women as she directs them to aimlessly search in every conflicting direction for their personal enlightenment, and how to find the perfect guy that never seems to exist due to constantly finding enough fault with every guy on the planet, and ultimately divorcing the guy they are actually with. :eyebulge:
      05-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #31
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

My wife can drive a stick, and enjoys it, but her car in an Automatic.

Maybe it shows that you are in control, know what you are doing, involved, and managing multiple tasks. Also, maybe it reminds them of their father/grandfather.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
Sweet1
Lady who LOVES HP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW135i

Do I dare add to this thread? I currently drive a 6 sp manual on my MCS. I chose the auto steptronic because I do so much city driving. It's really the pits to have a manual in stop & go traffic! I love the steptronic's ability to be so versatile. I can 'cruise' in drive mode, paddle shift manually if I feel the "need". (which I will!) From the reviews I've read, the 0-60 times were just as good as using the manual or very, very close. So I decided to give my left leg a rest! I'm curious how it will handle on the track using this tranny. Anyone know?

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #33
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

hmmm.... I drive a stick and I am a chick...

I hate autos, how could I like a guy who drives one???? unless he is willing to take a few lessons

and, btw, I think you guys make too much out of this car thing... most chicks care about cars as guys care about makeup...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #34
spicv0712
MexicanT
Rep
Drives:

My friend is so whipped that he bought an auto just because his girlfriend soon to be wife told him to. She has a Benz at the moment, so its not like they have to share the car and she was not willing to take lessons. He was planning on getting a Civic Si and SETTLED for a civic sedan. WHAT AN IDIOT!!!

My girl drives stick and I taught her in my Altima SER and she learned a little in her dads M5. Now my girlfriend says she will never drive anything but a stick, she currently has an e46 M3. I am trying to teach her to rev match and heel-toe, but its kinda hard to teach. She is getting the rev matching alright but the heel toe thing confuses her a bit.

And by the way, my girlfriend fell in love with my 1er and sweats the torque. Hopefully I can convince her to mod her car when mine has a couple of things done to it
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicv0712 View Post
Now my girlfriend says she will never drive anything but a stick, she currently has an e46 M3.

Wait till she has kids. I guarantee you that will change.:smile:
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #36
spicv0712
MexicanT
Rep
Drives:

Then we will just have a 3rd car...

I think this will do

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
and, btw, I think you guys make too much out of this car thing... most chicks care about cars as guys care about makeup...
+1

I have yet to meet a chick that cares about a guy driving stick or not. Everyone acts like its so hard that you HAVE to be a professional driver to drive one but you know what, my 93 yr old grandma can drive one and grew up doing so.
      05-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #38
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hehehe
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #39
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post

hehehe
Of his grandma? LMAO
      05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #40
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM105 View Post
Of his grandma? LMAO
I could probably work that out for you but I don't know...
      05-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #41
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I taught my "X" how to drive her Nissan Sentra at an old mall parking lot. Knowbody around.

After that she loved sticks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #42
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Not true! I had a co-worker at my old job who was bald and weighed well over 300lbs, yet he got chicks all the time. And some of them were quite attractive. His secret was that he was confident, charming and had a really outgoing and fun personality. Looks actually play a lot less into who women are attracted to then us guys like to think. Sure being good looking may make getting in the door a little easier, but if your charming, outgoing and fun you can talk almost any woman into going out with you.

Unfortunately I'm none of those things, but I managed to some how talk at least one into marrying me.

Dan
HMMM, maybe thats my problem. I look just like Brad Pitt but I have no sense of humor. HMMM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #43
rsx_r04
Rep
Drives: Coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How do you lean how to do things like rev-match down shifts and the "heal toe" technique? I've been driving stick my entire adult life and I don't even know what those terms mean.

Dan
Asked questions, researched on the 'net. Wiki is your best friend.
Appreciate 0