E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mercedes AMG Head gets it.

03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Mercedes AMG Head gets it.

Question: Is the M156 (AMG's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V-8) dead?

Tobias: (After at least five seconds of pained, sad expression) Yes. When asked whether we’ll see the M156’s replacement soon, he said, “Wait for New York.” They haven’t publicly given the engine a designation yet, but he did that say that the output will not exceed the M157 (5.5-liter twin-turbo V-8), at least not initially. You can assume the car in New York will be the C63 AMG replacement. However, Tobias also indicated that we’ll see the debut of the new sports car, rumored to be named the GT AMG. This car will feature the new 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8. The new sports car will cost less than the Gullwing, and that gives the car, “More opportunities,” meaning that you can expect a whole portfolio of variants very similar to the Porsche 911. We can also expect to see the S63 Coupe (and maybe S65 Coupe and S600 Coupe) at the New York show. 2014 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 507 Edition Rear End In Motion.

Question: How do you feel about the fact that the G63 is the best-selling AMG product in the U.S.?

Tobias: (Laughing) It’s always complicated. Mr. Moers also confirmed that they are beginning to develop the G65 and its 6.0-liter twin-turbo V-12 engine for the U.S. market. The hold-up right now is crash testing, specifically passive safety. “If the airbags work then we’re good. If we have to move a steering column or something, forget about it.” When asked if AMG will be bringing their awesome 6x6 monster truck to the States, Tobias said, “I’d love to sell it!” Mercedes Benz AMG GT Prototype Front Three Quarter

Question: Now that you’re head of AMG, are you worried about Black Series development? Tobias: It’s still me. When pressed, he explained that there has always been a team of engineers tasked with developing Black Series cars, but that he has final sign off on how they drive, even in his new position. He’s still very much involved in engineering. This is true of all AMGs.

Question: Will we ever see a V-6 AMG motor in a C-Class or E-Class?

Tobias: What is our unique selling point? The V-8. Why would you want a [six-cylinder]?

Question: What do you think of the Audi TT Quattro Sport Concept that produces 420 hp from a turbo 2.0-liter, heavily besting the 355 hp that AMG makes in the CLA45/GLA45? Tobias: They lost a comparison between the CLA45 and the TT-RS at AutoMotor Und Sport. What are they doing? They’re chasing us, as always. Will AMG respond to the 420-hp TT if it goes into production? Not initially. “We have to protect our customers.” Meaning that if tomorrow AMG releases a 421-hp version of the CLA45, it will piss off existing customers. This is especially relevant in the U.S., where the 2014 CLA45s are sold out.

Question: How important is weight from an engineering perspective?

Tobias: Don’t overestimate it.

Question: Will AMG continue making V-12 engines?

Tobias: As long as there are customers. Some people like the extra sophistication. Maybe the next-generation V-12 needs a plug-in hybrid? Who knows?

Question: Are the horsepower wars over? Tobias:

Answer:No.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_amg_b...#ixzz2vCVSa1zJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Question: Is the M156 (AMG's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V-8) dead?

Tobias: (After at least five seconds of pained, sad expression) Yes. When asked whether we’ll see the M156’s replacement soon, he said, “Wait for New York.” They haven’t publicly given the engine a designation yet, but he did that say that the output will not exceed the M157 (5.5-liter twin-turbo V-8), at least not initially. You can assume the car in New York will be the C63 AMG replacement. However, Tobias also indicated that we’ll see the debut of the new sports car, rumored to be named the GT AMG. This car will feature the new 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8. The new sports car will cost less than the Gullwing, and that gives the car, “More opportunities,” meaning that you can expect a whole portfolio of variants very similar to the Porsche 911. We can also expect to see the S63 Coupe (and maybe S65 Coupe and S600 Coupe) at the New York show. 2014 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 507 Edition Rear End In Motion.

Question: How do you feel about the fact that the G63 is the best-selling AMG product in the U.S.?

Tobias: (Laughing) It’s always complicated. Mr. Moers also confirmed that they are beginning to develop the G65 and its 6.0-liter twin-turbo V-12 engine for the U.S. market. The hold-up right now is crash testing, specifically passive safety. “If the airbags work then we’re good. If we have to move a steering column or something, forget about it.” When asked if AMG will be bringing their awesome 6x6 monster truck to the States, Tobias said, “I’d love to sell it!” Mercedes Benz AMG GT Prototype Front Three Quarter

Question: Now that you’re head of AMG, are you worried about Black Series development? Tobias: It’s still me. When pressed, he explained that there has always been a team of engineers tasked with developing Black Series cars, but that he has final sign off on how they drive, even in his new position. He’s still very much involved in engineering. This is true of all AMGs.

Tobias: What is our unique selling point? The V-8. Why would you want a [six-cylinder]?

Question: What do you think of the Audi TT Quattro Sport Concept that produces 420 hp from a turbo 2.0-liter, heavily besting the 355 hp that AMG makes in the CLA45/GLA45? Tobias: They lost a comparison between the CLA45 and the TT-RS at AutoMotor Und Sport. What are they doing? They’re chasing us, as always. Will AMG respond to the 420-hp TT if it goes into production? Not initially. “We have to protect our customers.” Meaning that if tomorrow AMG releases a 421-hp version of the CLA45, it will piss off existing customers. This is especially relevant in the U.S., where the 2014 CLA45s are sold out.

Question: How important is weight from an engineering perspective?

Tobias: Don’t overestimate it.

Question: Will AMG continue making V-12 engines?

Tobias: As long as there are customers. Some people like the extra sophistication. Maybe the next-generation V-12 needs a plug-in hybrid? Who knows?

Answer:No.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_amg_b...#ixzz2vCVSa1zJ
These were my two favorite quotes from the interview:

Answer: No.

Straight to the point, no BS answers.

I like it.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

The brilliance of AMG's no compromise to turning green. BMW take notes.
      03-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Asked directly about a V6, it's hard to tell if the answer was limited to that, or a straight six too. Since AMG has used straight sixes in the past, and MB is going back to I6's, it will be interesting to see if we eventually get another AMG I6.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Asked directly about a V6, it's hard to tell if the answer was limited to that, or a straight six too. Since AMG has used straight sixes in the past, and MB is going back to I6's, it will be interesting to see if we eventually get another AMG I6.
For now, we're still in the V8 era. Nothing sounds like a good ol' V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
The brilliance of AMG's no compromise to turning green. BMW take notes.
Take very,very, very detailed notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
These were my two favorite quotes from the interview:

Answer: No.

Straight to the point, no BS answers.

I like it.
Straight and to the point. It's very refreshing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
For now, we're still in the V8 era. Nothing sounds like a good ol' V8.
True, but it doesn't mean we all like that sound. I'm a weirdo that still prefers the S54 engine note to the S65 and an E Type to a Corvette. I will not however even begin to say that I prefer what I've heard of the S55 to the current C63 though.

I just happen to think that I6's (and V12's) sound great and since AMG has already used I6's, it's not exactly a stretch to assume they're coming back, just not immediately.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
italia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars:German|Motorbikes:Italian

The horsepower wars will be influenced by Obama's desire to dramatically raise CAFE ratings, and if petrol prices approach $7/gallon.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I love this guy
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Tobias is going to take AMG to the next level.

He is described to have..."gasoline in his veins".
Appreciate 0