E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone watch F1?

07-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #23
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Montoya definitely gave F1 some excitement. I cringed everytime he got near a Ferarri for fear of him crashing into them.
Mclaren has been a big let down this year. They have Kimi, but he is always having problems with the cars...I wonder if Alonso is rethinking his move???

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #24
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc
Montoya definitely gave F1 some excitement. I cringed everytime he got near a Ferarri for fear of him crashing into them.
Mclaren has been a big let down this year. They have Kimi, but he is always having problems with the cars...I wonder if Alonso is rethinking his move???
I must confess I did not like Juan Pablo for his arrogance.
But, his driving made F1 less boring.
I will honestly miss him.

Fernando IS going to Mclaren. I don't think he can pull a "Jason Button"
move and go back to Renault.
Plus Fisi is already set to be #1 at renault next year.

what will happen to Kimi? and Massa?

Sorry to say it but...
These drivers moves from team to team are sometimes more exciting
that actual races.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #25
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS
Dude - check your facts:

He won the F3000 championship the following year while competing for Supernova, with a record points total of 65 points for the season. Frank Williams then organized a swap deal for the Colombian for the 1999 season, taking Alex Zanardi from the American CART series to compete alongside Ralf Schumacher in F1 while Juan took up the role in the Chip Ganassi team. Here he flourished, taking the CART title in his rookie year. He claimed 7 wins throughout the season as well as seven poles, becoming the youngest champion in the history of the sport.

Although Frank Williams wanted Montoya back for the 2000 season, Juan wanted to remain in the CART series for at least another season. With the Ganassi outfit switching to Toyota engines, it wasn't the season he had hoped for, however he did come 9th in the series with three wins and seven pole positions. He also won the Indianapolis 500 on his very first attempt.

Returning to Williams in 2001 to partner the younger Schumacher brother, Ralf, Juan Pablo saw his first Formula one victory at Monza. He secured several podium finishes and three pole positions throughout his debut season, causing quite a stir in the paddock with his aggressive driving style. The Colombian refused to back down from Michael Schumacher and his pass on the German in Brazil is still discussed today. A fiery confrontation with Jacques Villeneuve is also on his resume, however 2002 was a new year and one where he hoped to see his first F1 world title.

Unfortunately, this didn't come to pass and although he notched up seven pole positions and gained the reputation of king of qualifying, he was unable to turn any of his front row spots into victories. Juan finished third overall in the drivers battle, behind the two Ferrari drivers.

In 2003, the Colombian fought for the title until the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis, winning two Grand Prix in the process. While some dubious decision making from the race stewards eliminated him from the championship battle, Montoya had a very solid season in 2003 and signed a deal to race with McLaren Mercedes in 2005.

Montoya still had one year to race with the BMW Williams squad in 2004 and it was not a particularly stellar season from either the team or driver. The FW26 chassis proved a difficult car while continuity in the team was interrupted with Ralf Schumacher sitting out much of the season following his high-speed crash. Montoya kept his head down and made best of a difficult situation but despite his impressive victory in the season finale at Interlagos, fifth position in the standings underlined the season-long struggle.

Moving over to McLaren Mercedes in 2005, Montoya had a mixed season. While team-mate Kimi Raikkonen took the championship battle down to the wire, Montoya found himself out of the running by mid-season after missing two races due to a shoulder injury sustained playing tennis. Montoya would record three victories on his way to fourth position in the championship, but by his own admission, 2005 was not classic Montoya.

8 victories - Count them...

I'm a huge fan of anyone who's willing to race wheel to wheel and Montoya fit that bill - He never backed down from Schumi. He will be missed from plenty of F1 fans.

I apologise for my mistake. You're right I checked is stats. Nonetheless, Montoya did not have the impact in F1 people expected him to have. He always has been beaten by his teamates. Especially Raikkonen.

He wont be missed otherwise some other team would have signed him. Remember he called Chip Ganassi. If he had a secured seat in a top team he wouldn`t even consider leaving F1.

I'm a big Ferrari fan.

Once again my apologies.
      07-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #26
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Juve - No worries - Cheers.

I actually was mistaken as well - only 7 victories.

Ferrari is the only team giving Renault/Michelin a run for their money this year so I'm cheering as a tifosi this year as well... (Although I think what Michael did at Monaco was somewhat shamefull)

I do agree - Juan Pablo lost his head for F1 late last season...
      07-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #27
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS
Juve - No worries - Cheers.

I actually was mistaken as well - only 7 victories.

Ferrari is the only team giving Renault/Michelin a run for their money this year so I'm cheering as a tifosi this year as well... (Although I think what Michael did at Monaco was somewhat shamefull)

I do agree - Juan Pablo lost his head for F1 late last season...
you must be a JPM fan then...we all have our favorite.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 08:07 AM   #28
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My favorite is Kimi and 2nd is Michael Schumacher with a distant 3rd being Nick Heidfeld/Mark Webber (tie)

Juan Pablo made for an exciting race every now and then

Most overrated drivers:

Ralf Schumacher (way overpaid. BTW he was beaten by Montoya during the 2002 season at Williams)
Jenson Button (never going to be a Champion)
      07-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #29
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS
My favorite is Kimi and 2nd is Michael Schumacher with a distant 3rd being Nick Heidfeld/Mark Webber (tie)

Juan Pablo made for an exciting race every now and then

Most overrated drivers:

Ralf Schumacher (way overpaid. BTW he was beaten by Montoya during the 2002 season at Williams)
Jenson Button (never going to be a Champion)

I agree 100% Jenson the most overrated driver in F1. Fisichella is another driver who's overrated.

I also like Raikkonen, I hope he goes and drive with Ferrari.