E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '08 328i E90 Rough Idle, Vibrating & Shaking

08-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #67
muZe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
For rough and jumping idle on these cars, check this video!!

A faulty eccentric shaft sensor (Valvetronic position sensor) can cause this as shown above!
+1 for this. My 2008 328i had been randomly shutting off but it was never consistent enough to figure it out. The past day or 2 the SES light was going on and off so I hooked up an OBDII tester and saw the P13B4 which led me to these forums and eventually this thread.

Moved the vanity over, pulled the plug, sprayed some air and what do I see? FRESH OIL! Sprayed until I saw no more oil coming out, cleaned inside and around the plug hole and when I started her back up, ran like the cheetah I remembered buying. I am going to take her in to figure out where that oil could be coming from and make sure this isn't a bigger issue.

Thanks again for the video!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #68
--g--
Rep
Drives: 330i Msport coup

Just to update this post with the issues my car had, and the solution.

A day after getting my 2008 330i m sport the car started to rough idle (only once the car had warmed up) it would get to the point that the car would shake, and then twice it cut out completely.

Give to BMW - they check codes and say its the eccentric shaft sensor.
Replace sensor - no change.
Further investigation points toward a vaccum leak.
They found the leak (sorry - I don't know where exactly it was) this solved the problem.
I was getting a high pitched hissing noise while it would rough idle. I had thought it might be a lose belt - it sounded like that anyway - but this was the air leak. So should you have the high pitch noise (that will go away when you bring the revs up, or drive under load) then it might well be a vaccum leak. Have a smoke test done and I hope that fixes your problem readers!

G
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #69
jeffscyclotron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

just go my 2010 m3 back turned out to be a broken valve spring.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #70
tosaytheleased
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

I hear a hissing sound when I hit the throttle. I have no aftermarket intake.
Could I have a vacuum leak?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #71
jrodimon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

2007 328xi coupe

135000 miles.

My car just shreded its serpentine belt.

I replaced the Belt and the tensor pully. I was a block from home when it happened so I didn't drive far. But now it is coding P0302, P0304, P0305,
and p07xx Lean on both banks.

The car ran very rough and would stall on a quick start.

I replaced all six sparks and coils I cleaned the MAF sensor.

The car now codes the same codes at start if the car is warm and I clear the codes they do not come on again until I restart.

What to do...

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #72
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

My car has been throwing O2 sensor errors for a while but still engine worked ok. One day it showed "+1 qt" for oil, I went to the dealership and added some oil. Right after that I got rough idle and vibrations at low rpms.
Rheingold doesn't show any errors other than O2 sensor failure and misfires in cyl 1-3. Interestingly, no one mentioned if rough idle and misfires can be caused by a faulty O2 sensor and I guess I will find out if it was the problem or not soon...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #73
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

Adding my 2 cents.
Couldn't unscrew and replace O2 sensors. But after opening the hood found a puddle of oil around the cap. Seems like dealership person who added oil did not put the oil cap firmly and properly. I cleaned up the oil, properly secured the cap and no misfires!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #74
ncd328ie90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2007 328i E90

i had the same issue for a month and my car was stalling at stops, it was my eccentric shaft sensor, i changed my spar plugs water pump and eccentric shaft sensor all at one time and now my car is running mint

took quite a chunk out of my wallet but it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #75
chmsalman
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupenal View Post
2009 128i
37k miles
Symptoms: at idle, the revs would barely move - maybe 50-100 rpms at most and it wouldn't always happen. However, you could feel like a "thump" as if a lump was passing through the engine and through the exhaust (i know it's not a lump passing through, but it feels like that). Engine rpm would slightly drop when this happens, and happens randomly. Can be felt in the engine and can also be slightly heard in exhaust. Happens when cold, happens when warmed up, happens most always at idle, sometimes worse than others. Doesn't miss during acceleration, pulls nice and smooth.

Final day of factory warranty, brought the car in for service. I pointed it out to the SA and luckily he felt it too. Just got a call from the SA that they diagnosed it as the valvetronic sensor (I'm assuming its the camshaft positioning sensor) needed replacing, so they're fixing that and also putting in a new valve cover gasket.

On my e36 m3, when the camshaft positioning sensor gave out, the symptoms were different in that the car felt damn slow. Engine idled smoother than the 128i and RPMS were also smooth, but there was a ton of power missing. Once the CPS was replaced, power came back. Different engines, different cars, but same part that gives out. Gotta love BMWs.

I'm hopefully picking up the car today, so I'll see if it fixed the problem.
Hey, thanks for this post. I'm having EXACTLY the same symptoms. I couldn't have said it better myself. Only problem is that my car is out of warranty so to go through that list like you did would cost me...well...my second kidney to say the least.

I was wondering if you ever found out whether it was just the eccentric cam sensor or if it was the shaft itself. I can afford to pay the dealer to swap the sensor which would cost about $1g. But if it turns out to be the shaft...I'm down another $1400... any advice would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #76
Listan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Sedan

can some the vibrations be related to engine oil over filled

Friday I replaced all the engine mounts and tranny mounts on my 2011 328i, also change the oil while it was on the lift. On my way home, the vibration started each time I come to a stop.
The following day I notice some smoke when just started the engine. I check the oil on the dash and it shows okay below max.
I decided to drain all the expensive Amsoil synthetic out and discovered we had put 3 gallons of oil in the motor.. Drained and refill with 6.5 qts. and all my vibration went away
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #77
chester22
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

i have vibrations during idle... no warning lights though... engine doesn't shutoff

local mechanic can't really pinpoint the problem.... guess i'm headed to the dealer :-(

Last edited by chester22; 07-25-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #78
chester22
Private
Rep

Well, even the dealer cannot pinpoint the cause... their only solution was to 'wait out a few months' until eventually i get a warning light.... this sucks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #79
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
wow, way to pull a thread out of the grave!

on my e90, a rough idle / miss / skip / engine vibration / etc has been caused by a bad coil, and the coils went bad because of an oil leak in the valve cover gasket.
every. single. time.

isn't 530 a different series than e9x?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:20 AM   #80
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by puhahacj View Post
So I literally just passed 50k miles, exhausting the factory warranty in the process, and all of a sudden my '08 328i starts acting up! It idles pretty rough both in park or in drive, and it doesn't matter if it’s at start-up or after the engine’s been running for a while. I don't remember what RPM the car was idling at before, but it appears to be hovering between 500-600 now. I would describe the vibration from the engine bay as mellow to mildly violent, but it's constant whenever the RPM dips below a certain level (I want to say below 700?)

Anyway, I replaced the air filter (although it didn't look particularly dirty) and added some Lucas Fuel Treatment, hoping that these relatively inexpensive and simple fixes would do the trick. Not to my surprise, they didn't do a darn thing. So before I resort to my last option and take it to a mechanic, I figure I'd give Plan B a shot and reach out to my fellow bimmer enthusiasts for some advice. Does anyone think they might know what's going on? Any comments are greatly appreciated!
I'm gonna say if you don't have a check engine light on have the drive and pass motor mount check the aluminum bolts are known to start to back out and then sheer off in the block mainly the pass.

They are actually supposed to be checked and torque every so often.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #81
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listan View Post
Friday I replaced all the engine mounts and tranny mounts on my 2011 328i, also change the oil while it was on the lift. On my way home, the vibration started each time I come to a stop.
The following day I notice some smoke when just started the engine. I check the oil on the dash and it shows okay below max.
I decided to drain all the expensive Amsoil synthetic out and discovered we had put 3 gallons of oil in the motor.. Drained and refill with 6.5 qts. and all my vibration went away
3 gallons? As in 11.3 liters?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #82
chester22
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
wow, way to pull a thread out of the grave!

on my e90, a rough idle / miss / skip / engine vibration / etc has been caused by a bad coil, and the coils went bad because of an oil leak in the valve cover gasket.
every. single. time.

isn't 530 a different series than e9x?
its an e9x, just didnt update my info
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #83
zachverge341
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanondemand View Post
Once my car starting shaking violently and then it just died, Turns out it was my vanos solenoid, replaced and works just fine now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
For rough and jumping idle on these cars, check this video!!

A faulty eccentric shaft sensor (Valvetronic position sensor) can cause this as shown above!
I am chasing a misfire on my 2007 328i that has given me a very rough idle that shakes the engine and no capability to drive. However the E-shaft sensor problem doesn't throw any codes and I have quite a few.
I'm wondering if this is the right place to look for solving it. I've read a few threads since joining today but cant seem to find my exact symptoms.

I have attached this list of engine codes I have below

I have replaced the following:
-Spark Plugs (All 6)
-Ignition Coils (All 6)
-Injectors (All 6)
-Fuel pump
-Crankcase Breather Valve
-Crankcase Breather Hose
-Crankshaft Sensor
-Blown F04 Fuse

I have misfire on cylinders 5&6 and it occurred randomly one day when I was a few hundred yards away from home
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #84
andrew2cu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by --g-- View Post
Just to update this post with the issues my car had, and the solution.

A day after getting my 2008 330i m sport the car started to rough idle (only once the car had warmed up) it would get to the point that the car would shake, and then twice it cut out completely.

Give to BMW - they check codes and say its the eccentric shaft sensor.
Replace sensor - no change.
Further investigation points toward a vaccum leak.
They found the leak (sorry - I don't know where exactly it was) this solved the problem.
I was getting a high pitched hissing noise while it would rough idle. I had thought it might be a lose belt - it sounded like that anyway - but this was the air leak. So should you have the high pitch noise (that will go away when you bring the revs up, or drive under load) then it might well be a vaccum leak. Have a smoke test done and I hope that fixes your problem readers!

G
Reviving a dead thread as I have similar issues. I believe I have the whining issue, so maybe a vacuum leak? Here's a video of my issue:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #85
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2cu View Post
Reviving a dead thread as I have similar issues. I believe I have the whining issue, so maybe a vacuum leak? Here's a video of my issue:
View post on imgur.com
Prob PCV as the whistle was a telltale. You indeed have a vacuum leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #86
vancity67
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2cu View Post
View post on imgur.com
I had the same issue before and the whistling/whining sound went away after I replaced the valve cover. While the engine is on and the whistling sound is happening, open the engine oil cap to see if the sound goes away. I saw that from some other thread about valve cover replacement with similar issue so I tried it. The sound went away when I opened the cap and came back when I put the cap back on so I went ahead and ordered a valvecover from rock auto and followed a youtube video for step by step DIY. It didn't fix my stuttering under hardload acceleration I had along with the rpm jumping and whistling sound, still trying to figure that one out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #87
ill328i
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 2007

Exclamation same issue

I just brought my 2007 bmw 328i a few weeks ago and It was good until I started seeing smoke come from the hood and through the vents so i parked it immediately and called a mechanic . so the mechanic told me my valve cover and gasket needed to be replaced because I had a leak that was causing my oil to leak to catalytic converter which was causing smoke . I get him to replace the valve cover valve gasket and vvt and now my bmw is shaking at idle also not as much power to accelerate but with less smoke but now I'm confused any thoughts ?????
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #88
A1Souljah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW328i

I have a 2007 328i doing the same thing.. motor mounts were checked .. new plugs .. new coils .. new camshaft postion sensor .. still no progress .. no check engine light on either .. I’m thinking maybe fuel injection or something of that sort .. when I slow to brake at times the car just shuts off .. always starts back up so far
Appreciate 0