E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting my 1st Swiss watch. Advice/Opinions needed.

09-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #45
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
I like this one a lot because of the carbon fiber dial. I think it's unique. You can get it with metal bracelet, too.
Attachment 99496
i have the same one... i also have the tag heuer kirium... but i'd really like the omega planet ocean..
Attached Images

09-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #46
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I have had the Constellation for 13 years. I clean it once a month with metal wadding. Still looks new. Changed batteries 3 times. It is thin and tough. I am an Omega fan for life. My .09.
Love the Constellation... Just happens to be our 10 year gift here at the Group.
      09-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #47
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Tag has so much automotive provenance though...out of the two, I'd settle for the Carrera, it's just aesthetically more appealing (to me), I love busy dials

I nearly bought that Carrera 2 years ago, but ended up getting the Link Automatic which was a little more dressier for a little more outlay.
same here....I bought this Link last year, great watch. I almost bought a Carrera about a week ago, I'll probably go back and get it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #48
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=4725

My next purchase
      09-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #49
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
same here....I bought this Link last year, great watch. I almost bought a Carrera about a week ago, I'll probably go back and get it.

OMG we think alike , I've been eyeing the Carrera (again) lately, might pick one up soon enough

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #50
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
OMG we think alike , I've been eyeing the Carrera (again) lately, might pick one up soon enough
yep, I keep looking at this one...at some point I know I'll get it....it's a nice change of pace from my other one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #51
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

Seiko Spring Drive Series. If you think this is another cheap Seiko Watch... go check out the price.
Attached Images

09-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #52
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

09-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #53
Simmad555
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan230 View Post
Hi guys, I'm getting my first Swiss watch very soon. I've mainly been looking at Omegas and Tag Heuers and I wanted to get some feed-back on my selection from the watch-enthusiasts on this board. How do these watches compare? Which one is more reliable? Which one is more prestigious?

FYI: I'm turning 23 in about a week, so I guess I'm not terribly old and I want a watch that's still sporty. The perfect watch size for me is 41mm, anything larger would look funny.

So lemme know what you guys think ! Thanks in advance.

Omega Seamaster 300M Diver aka The James Bond Watch
-I really like this watch. It's very classy; something I can wear with a suit, or very casually. Another noteable feature this watch has is that it uses Co-Axial technology. Apparently, it's more reliable and requires 9-10 yr service intervals instead of 3-4 yrs.

Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic chronograph tachymetre w/ red needles
-I was set on the Seamaster until I saw this watch in showroom. I immediately fell in love with it. The black dial and the red needles are so sporty and really fits the persona of a car enthusiast, imo.

Watches, a terrible habit. Wish I could quit!

Like someone else mentioned Tag Heuer's are often considered entry level watches. But, having said that I have a few that weren't cheap and I like them just as much as any other watches I have. The Carrera you posted is a very nice looking watch.

I have the Seamaster similar to the one you posted, but is a chronograph model. My only regret is the small bezel. Large face watches are in style and make an impression. Trying on a Seamaster in a store the watch may seem huge at first, wear it for a while and ask a few people their opinions. I also have a (Seamaster) Planet Ocean with a large diameter bezel and wear this watch far more than the Seamaster. I have a skinny wrist, but still wear large watches.

Either way an expensive watch is an in your face item, as anyone who knows anything about watches will be drawn to it.

Enjoy whatever it is you choose!

Retired '07 E92 335i - 6MT, Sapphire Black, Saddle, Sport, Premium
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #54
mikenuts
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

http://oris-watch.com/collections/co...4&id_product=7

This is what I am currently wearing. If you want an excellent quality sport watch around 3,000; Oris is the way to go. I prefer the Oris Williams F1 Team Chronograph.
      09-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #55
aquaanox
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, e90 335

Omegas' are timepieces, tag's are watches .. go ask a reputable watchmaker.. tag is just a marketting company and i would never buy one.. that said i woudlnt buy a rolex either simply because of the hyper associated with them.

Omega, bell and ross, paneria, patek phillipe etc... would be the way to go. The seamaster is an excellant everyday watch. Very classy, and can take a beating..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #56
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

Hi, guys. I just got back from checking out a few stores, I went to Tourneau and Ben Bridge. I spent a lot of time looking at Omegas: I tried on the Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer (the Bond watch), Seamaster Planet Ocean (black on black 42mm), Speedmaster Day-Date and the Speedmaster Date. Then I tried on the Tag Carrera and for some reason I wasn't impressed ! I'm sooo glad I went in and tried it on for the second time. The fit and finish didn't seem nearly as nice as the Omegas and the case was too thick for me. So, I'm just putting in some more thought but I'm definitely going to go with Omega 100%.

I've pretty much ruled out the Planet Ocean. I liked the watch, but it didn't blow me away. I really like the Speedmaster Day Date (Black on black) and the Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer.

TBH, I liked the Speedmaster much more, it's flashier and sportier. Only draw back is that it doesn't use Omega's co-axial movement like the Seamaster. I asked the salesperson if Omega is going to replace the movement on the Speedmaster on the model-update and she said it was a possibility, though nothing is definite. Does any one here have information about this?

Thanks for the help, guys !
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #57
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
Seiko Spring Drive Series. If you think this is another cheap Seiko Watch... go check out the price.
I have a Seiko myself.

But most true watch nuts will thumb noses at Japanese watches...even if the spring drive is technologically superior to mechanical movement. Just like how even quartz technology is far superior to mechanical movement (if only in accuracy). But the enthusiasts will still go for the Swiss or German time pieces.

I guess it's like someone saying to a BMW owner..."why didn't you get a Japanese car like the Camry or Accord? It's cheaper and gets better gas mileage"

It's just not the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #58
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
the planet ocean, is a little more on the simplistic side, but the co-axial mov't will save you in the long run... and that will turn just as many heads....
the 45.5mm Planet Ocean XL is on a VERY short list of mine!
      09-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #59
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
the planet ocean, is a little more on the simplistic side, but the co-axial mov't will save you in the long run... and that will turn just as many heads....
the 45.5mm Planet Ocean XL is on a VERY short list of mine!
would you say the co-axial movement is the dealmaker?

'cause, at this point, i'm leaning more towards the speedmaster day date and it does not have the co-ax movement.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #60
shaunt
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' E92 M3

I like my Daytona.

If you had the option for Panerai I would say GO FOR IT!

Out of those two, I pick the omega.
      09-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #61
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
From what i know( limited) about the Coaxial mov;t it basically saves the wear and tear on your watch... transation.... instead of paying a couple hundy to have it serviced every say, 3 years with the COAx movt you could have the watch serviced every 10 or something like that ...... it supposed to be really cool... afficionados know about it..im just learning.... the planet ocean is a sick watch..
if you want it a little flashy get the orange bezel and buy the matching orange strap on eBay !!!
      09-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #62
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE WATCHES (Philip Stein Teslar) AND ITS REALLY AFFORDABLE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan230 View Post
Hi guys, I'm getting my first Swiss watch very soon. I've mainly been looking at Omegas and Tag Heuers and I wanted to get some feed-back on my selection from the watch-enthusiasts on this board. How do these watches compare? Which one is more reliable? Which one is more prestigious?

FYI: I'm turning 23 in about a week, so I guess I'm not terribly old and I want a watch that's still sporty. The perfect watch size for me is 41mm, anything larger would look funny.

So lemme know what you guys think ! Thanks in advance.

Omega Seamaster 300M Diver aka The James Bond Watch
-I really like this watch. It's very classy; something I can wear with a suit, or very casually. Another noteable feature this watch has is that it uses Co-Axial technology. Apparently, it's more reliable and requires 9-10 yr service intervals instead of 3-4 yrs.

Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic chronograph tachymetre w/ red needles
-I was set on the Seamaster until I saw this watch in showroom. I immediately fell in love with it. The black dial and the red needles are so sporty and really fits the persona of a car enthusiast, imo.

09-12-2007, 02:56 AM   #63
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunt View Post
I like my Daytona.

If you had the option for Panerai I would say GO FOR IT!

Out of those two, I pick the omega.
+1
Attached Images

09-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #64
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Love the Constellation... Just happens to be our 10 year gift here at the Group.
You guys give gifts? I am lucky to get a thank you.:mad:
      09-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #65
IS2000
Private First Class
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i/ 2003 EVO8

I have the Carrera Tachymetre (but with silver needles). It's a nice watch, but I think the Seamaster is a better looking watch to me. The bracelet on the Tag is a little thin and cheap looking (imo).
      09-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #66
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Check this beauty!

The Aston Martin DBS is one exclusive, expensive ride, with only 500 copies of the $250,000 car scheduled to be made each year. To up the exclusivity factor while also giving deep-pocketed DBS owners the ability to play James Bond, Swiss watchmaker Jaeger LeCoultre has designed a very exclusive chronograph strictly for DBS owners. The AMVOX2 chronograph has over 400 parts and costs an absolutely stunning $34,500. The timepiece, which is limited to 999 grade 5 titanium editions and 300 more exclusive Rose Gold wrist jewels, can actually open your DBS for you. Spending $35k on a good looking watch so you don't have to carry a key fob seems drastic to us poor folk, but when you've got money to burn, it's nice to pony up for items that are at least functional.

While the exclusive chronograph is an impressive piece of Swiss engineering, the best part of the equation is that the watch will likely never lose its value, and owners will undoubtedly be rewarded handsomely if they ever try to sell their prized bauble. Funny thing about a watch with 400 parts: when an autommaker over-engineers a part with too many components, it leads to more recalls and lower resale value. In a Swiss watch, a bunch of fancy parts makes it worth 1,000 Casios.
Appreciate 0