E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > New computer

12-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have an entry level iMac and it's great. You'll be happy with it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

I love my Apple stuff (my iPad, my iPhone, my Apple TV), I just don't see the logic behind buying a $2k computer for websurfing and e-mail.

If you build one, you can easily upgrade as needed. I am all for prepping for the future, which is why I built my PC to last a while, but there's a difference between "future proofing" and just going way overboard. If all you ever do is web surf and check e-mail, I can't think of a time you will EVER need 16GB of RAM. 8 GB would be the max, to include some future proofing.

The only "issue" I ever had with my PC was when I attempted to overclock the processor. I was fidgeting with the numbers and couldn't get them to the right, stable numbers to run efficiently. All I had to do was set them back to default values. Voila...

Viruses are almost always user error, so I'm not going to go down that route...
Very true about 16gb ram.

Viruses are user error, which is why i would have a mac for kids. Thinking of switching employees to macs for that reason as well.
      12-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Thinking of switching employees to macs for that reason as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Should be this….

haha
      12-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

I love my Apple stuff (my iPad, my iPhone, my Apple TV), I just don't see the logic behind buying a $2k computer for websurfing and e-mail.
People may not see the point spending $40,000 on a 3 series vs an Impala. While the 3 series is a better built car, people may want the Impala because it is a full size car, etc. People have different parameters on what they will spend their money on. My parents hate upgrading. It's a pain in the butt to convince them its time to upgrade( they didn't care that to load a webpage it took 40 seconds with the beach ball of death showing up all the time. Their old 2005 20" iMac G5 still worked).

That is why I have them get the top of the line iMac. So it has enough power to meet their needs well into the future. Four years later, their Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 hasn't slowed down yet even with the latest software for their uses. My six year old Early 2008 17" MBP is still going strong and only now starting to be taxed a bit. Where my old 12" PB G4 was struggling only after 4 years to run at a decent speed.

My next computer will be the top of the line 27" iMac with the 780M, 1 TB Fusion Drive, etc. But, that is mostly because I also play X-Plane 10 which is a demanding flight simulator.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #28
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
People may not see the point spending $40,000 on a 3 series vs an Impala. While the 3 series is a better built car, people may want the Impala because it is a full size car, etc. People have different parameters on what they will spend their money on. My parents hate upgrading. It's a pain in the butt to convince them its time to upgrade( they didn't care that to load a webpage it took 40 seconds with the beach ball of death showing up all the time. Their old 2005 20" iMac G5 still worked).

That is why I have them get the top of the line iMac. So it has enough power to meet their needs well into the future. Four years later, their Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 hasn't slowed down yet even with the latest software for their uses. My six year old Early 2008 17" MBP is still going strong and only now starting to be taxed a bit. Where my old 12" PB G4 was struggling only after 4 years to run at a decent speed.

My next computer will be the top of the line 27" iMac with the 780M, 1 TB Fusion Drive, etc. But, that is mostly because I also play X-Plane 10 which is a demanding flight simulator.
OK
      12-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #29
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

I have the entry level MacBook Pro. Absolutely worth it for just entertainment, movies, no gaming. It looks amazing, is relatively light, and backlit keyboard is awesome. It's pretty idiot-proof.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #30
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag
I have the entry level MacBook Pro. Absolutely worth it for just entertainment, movies, no gaming. It looks amazing, is relatively light, and backlit keyboard is awesome. It's pretty idiot-proof.
+1

The aluminum is rather soft. It scratches and dents easily and is nearly impossible to fix. A body case would be ideal.
Appreciate 0