BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Post Introducing JRZ RS1 Suspension for BMW E82 1M (the ultimate street/track solution)

JRZ RS1 Suspension Single Adjustable Damper Kit for Street and Track.

Buy Fixed Height Kit Here: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/jrz-...e87-p2732.aspx

Buy Coilover Kit Here: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/jrz-...its-p2825.aspx

Available for:
E9x non M
E9x M
E82 non M
E82 M
All E46
All E36

Damper:
JRZ RS1

Fixed Height Spring Options:
A. Eibach - A bit more sporty than the OEM springs with a tasteful drop and great comfort.
B. AC Schnitzer- Stiffer and slightly lower. More focused on performance than the Eibachs.

Variable Height, Stock Style Spring Options:
Same as above, but with a height adjuster.

Coil Over, Height Adjustable Option:
A. VAC Specified coil over solutions. Street, Street/track, track/street.
B. Custom rate coil over springs - we can learn more about your needs and suggest a proprietary solution.

Kit Options:
JRZ or Ground Control camber plates are not necessary but recommended when semi frequent track use is planned.

VAC Tech Tips:
This is a monotube race style design but smart for the street/track day enthusiast. Yes, it is a single way damper (more is not always better) but it shares the same technology as the RS Pro remote reservoir systems. How? There is a seperate gas charge area in actual piston body and a divider piston which divides the nitrogen charge from the oil charge.

JRZ is known for using large piston rods. This large piston rod configuration displaces a lot of oil, resulting in very quick valve action. This means you can enjoy a 'softer' ride but still have an incredibly well controlled chassis. Cheaper dampers with small piston rods require much more effort to move the shim stacks.

We have been selling JRZ solutions to race customers for quite some time so we are intimate with their superior engineering, design and performance. Since JRZ is on the cutting edge on technological development it made a lot of sense for them to create this new RS-1 system for street driven cars that will see track day events. True race technology in a practical kit. This is a unique system that can run with just springs or height adjustable perches. (PM for info on height adjustability)

Why buy JRZ from VAC?
-We have hands on experience installing dozens of JRZ suspension solutions on BMWs.
-We have a team of 24 here in Philadelphia at our fully equipped shop.
-JRZ is our solution of choice for our core racing clients, period.
-We have 6 full time folks who handle sales. I am also available pretty much 24-7 via PM, email, text etc.
-Our Performance Center foreman ran JRZ exclusively on his Grand Am race cars
-We run JRZ on our E36 race car which is quite a good performer given it's heft.
-While in Germany for the PMW Show (where we exhibit) last year, we stopped by JRZ to meet with the brass. We have had a relationship with the founder Yan for many years. Pics here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...59&postcount=2
-Our track day partner, pro driver Aaron Povoledo can be seen in the awesome JRZ video here. He shares our opinion and experience with the product line. https://www.opentrackdayevents.com

JRZ Sales pitch:
JRZ Suspension Engineering is proud to introduce the JRZ RS1, a revolutionary development in multipurpose high performance damping. Applying our race winning technology, JRZ designed the JRZ RS1 to give ultimate comfort for public roads and precise chassis control when driving on track.

The JRZ RS1 is a high gas pressure, single adjustable monotube damper. The canister has been designed inside of the damper. JRZ inner canister technology gives the advantages of monotube canister dampers without the mounting concerns and complexity.

Easy to install, the JRZ RS1 is available as a complete kit with mounting hardware and springs for all applications we support. Built on the same production line and sharing components with our pro racing applications, the JRZ RS1 is of true professional heritage.

Following JRZ’s design philosophy, the JRZ RS1 has a large 22mm diameter piston rod in strut applications and a 16mm diameter piston rod in aluminium damper applications. The large piston rod magnifies the high pressure gas charge which means great chassis control without using a high spring rate or increasing harshness.

Utilizing a mono tube design with a high flow piston ensures the smoothest possible ride in normal conditions while the bleed adjustment gives the ability to tune for racing situations. Unlike many other single adjustable suspensions, damping balance is carefully maintained between compression and rebound. This damping balance is critical to maintaining tire contact with the road in addition to controlling the main mass of the vehicle.

To satisfy the diverse needs of each driver’s application, the JRZ RS1 has an extra large adjustment range. With a few clicks you can turn your smooth street car into a crisp, rock solid track car in seconds.

Features
• 22 mm rod strut, 16 mm rod damper
• 12 clicks of compression
• 24 clicks of rebound
• Adjustable gas pressure, mono tube
• Piston designed for high performance

JRZ has designed the JRZ RS1 to give the end user the best possible damper to drive daily, while maintaining the racetrack performance that wins championships. The JRZ RS1 is shipped as a bolt-on kit and always comes with the personal support JRZ is known for.

Using the best materials, coatings and aerospace standard manufacturing processes as in our motorsport line; the JRZ RS1 is designed to perform flawlessly. Adjustment is easy to perform and comes with the knowledge base only JRZ provides to his customers.

Benefits
• Easy to use and bolt-in
• Street ride, racing performance
• Extra long product life
• One adjustment for complete control of ride and handling
• Professional racing quality

Recommended applications
• Daily driving
• Drivers education (DE) events and track days
• Club racing

Any questions please call/PM/email. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Brian_VACsales; 07-18-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

In the Fall of 2011 we had the pleasure of visiting the JRZ facility in the Netherlands. This is one of the most amazing facilities I have ever laid foot in - it's no surprise that the genius of Jan Zuijdijk paired with amazing technical capabilities result in world class suspension solutions.

About JRZ:
Quote:
JRZ Suspension Engineering was founded in 1994 by J. Zuijdijk to bring a new and revolutionary damping design to the world of motor racing and high performance sports cars. A new design that would eliminate the design flaws of the old school of hydraulic damper design and incorporate newly acquired insights into the complexity of vehicle dynamics and the role of the damper therein.

Having worked for Koni in Research and Development in damping design, Jan Zuijdijk had conceived a firm idea of what needed to be changed on the stagnant approach to damping and handling of race car suspensions and the prominent role the hydraulic damper played in that complex vehicle dynamic system. Jan’s experience comes from a most diverse damper design range including: Formula V, Formula One, prototype sports cars, industrial trucks, buses and wheeled/tracked armoured vehicles. The new JRZ damper had to be different in a sense that the old school approach would be reversed and new insights and experience would prevail in the design of the new JRZ damper.

The parameters for the new damper design would incorporate:
_Instead of putting the emphasis on damping of the sprung mass, focus on damping the un-sprung mass of the suspension.
_Use an inert gas as additional spring and damping medium in combination with the largest possible working area’s of piston and piston rod compression damping.
_Produce lift through the use of gas pressure working on the piston rod area.
_Use an external reservoir to accommodate the largest possible gas oil/gas volume.
_Select the largest possible piston rod diameter for optimal fluid displacement and lifting force.
_Make the damping forces adjustable in both rebound and compression.
_Make the damping forces as effective as possible at piston velocities from 0 to 5 cm or 2 inch per second where it counts.
_Make components interchangeable between different applications.
_Put emphasis on bright color and industrial design.

JRZ Suspension Engineering had a flying start because of the years Jan Zuijdijk spent living and working in the United States. During this time, Jan had built up an extensive list of people in the race and auto industry who knew his reputation. This provided an instant market for the JRZ product. In addition, Zuijdijk still worked with Jack Roush to improve the knowledge of the teams about suspension and damping, testing with the Nascar driver, Mark Martin and as race engineer for the Trans Am team with driver Tom Kendall, winning most of the races in that season.

Another successful development year was spent with the American Equipment Racing team with driver Ron Fellows and team chief/engineer Will Moody. The goal was to develop the Trans Am suspension system into a modern race car suspension. The season was a great success, winning the majority of races.
In Europe JRZ Suspension Engineering was gaining recognition through the cooperation with Alfa Romeo in the DTM with drivers Nicola Larini. Additionally JRZ was selected by Nissan Europe for the racing series in the Spanish competition.

In all applications the result was that the JRZ damping system transformed the handling of race cars manifesting itself in better traction, better lateral grip, faster lap times and reducing tire wear so that the performance of the race tire remained at the same optimal level throughout the race.

It was proof that the JRZ design doctrine worked so well that no matter what application, it resulted without exception in the same positive results.

In the meantime, the JRZ technical staff was extended with engineer Erik Ras. Since 1996, JRZ Suspension Engineering gave students of the Arnhem Technical College the opportunity to spend part of the education as an apprentice in the company. Many of the students found the design and operation of dampers so fascinating that they did their graduating project at JRZ Suspension Engineering. Erik Ras was one of the students who after graduation took a job at JRZ, becoming a member of the JRZ technical staff. At the present time he is shareholder and Chief Operating Officer Worldwide.
It has always been the policy of JRZ Suspension to build the product from machined parts manufactured in The Netherlands.

In 2003, JRZ Suspension Engineering merged with Vovu Metaalbewerking BV, a large machine shop with an ultra-modern machine park, and an extensive quality control facility.

This merger combined design, machining and manufacturing of the JRZ product under one roof, offering the opportunity to manufacture the product from raw material to finished product and enabled JRZ Suspension Engineering access to an almost unlimited production capacity.
In order to increase efficiency, Jan Peters came aboard in 2010 to fill the function of Chief Executive Officer, overseeing order intake, planning and commercial and production activities.
Some pics:

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/03/21/vi...t-nurburgring/

This car is equipped with JRZ RS1 and Eibach springs, the exact kit we offer. The video speaks for itself ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

FYI - there has been some talk of 'noisy' RS1s - one M3Post member has experienced this noise already. The problem has been identified and solved by JRZ. We do not have any of the defective inventory and all production units are proper, and noise free - Buy with confidence.

Just last night I once again confirmed with JRZ that any RS1 ordered going FW will not have any issues. All good!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

My RS 1 set has some noise issues.

It will be fully replaced by a new set

This is what I call SERVICE.

JRZ, thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

This is a MUST WATCH video. JRZ=excellence

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Seems like Charles is quite happy with his fixed height RS1 setup. See feedback thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712517

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421
here is no longer a lack of damping with the JRZs; my brief runs on the track shows they are capable of creating exponentially more force. Their react-and-settle time for transient maneuvers – hitting bumps, turning, acceleration and braking – is immediate. Quick corners slalom turns and lateral acceleration in general is beautifully controlled; the car is poised and ready as soon as the steering wheel is centered. The damping happens so quickly and uneventfully that I had a lot of “wait – we did turn 5 right? I don’t remember it” moments. Yes, the damping is that well executed. Not having to wait for the car to react is one less thing my brain has to process and compensate for.
The RS1’s superb reaction times are thanks to many things especially the large piston; it can displace a lot of fluid quickly and its design goes beyond just being a big piston; it has a special tapered shape and … well, I’m not a physics expert. However JRZ figured this out, it works well.
Quote:
The RS1’s ride is no harsher than stock. The damper curve (a graph of how a damper generates force relative to piston velocity) of the RS1 is such that despite their ability to produce far more force than the stock dampers, the compression and rebound movements have a natural feel. These forces are remarkably well controlled.
We do offer a height adjustable solution as well. That will probably be the more popular solution going forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

A few people have asked about bump stops. This is why JRZ does not use them:

This is a copy/paste from the MAN in Holland.

Quote:
1. We are not in need of a bumpstop due to our design philosophy. We are always using high compression forces in relation to the rebound forces. We know that that is the way to go (because of years of development and testing, as you know, we win races). So reaching the end of the stroke with a high velocity will almost never happen due to the high compression forces.

2. The high gaspressure also helps with this. We set our dampers with a high gas pressure. When compressing, this force rises. The more you compress the damper, the higher the gas pressure will be as well as the resistance in compression.

3. When you install bump stops you actually insert a extra spring on the end of the stroke. So what happens when you hit the bumpstop is that the spring rate goes up exponentially. The bumpstop will consume this compression force and will give you (almost) the same in rebound force. So the bumpstop throws you back up. When you are cornering and for some reason you are hitting the bump stop, you will first compress the dampers and bump stop. And while you are still cornering, the bump stop throws you back up!!

Having said all this, we’re not in need of a bump stop. We always design our dampers to work superbly without any need of a bumpstop. That is the way to go. You can find a solution for a problem, but it’s better to resolve the problem so it doesn’t occur anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Charles at Summit Point. This guy can't stay away from the track now!!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Charles was hanging with some serious iron at our open track day: https://www.facebook.com/OpenTrackDay

Another client's height adjustable RS1 equipped 1M

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Recent install: Height adjustable RS1 + Square ARC8 = winning combo.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Recent install: Height adjustable RS1 + Square ARC8 = winning combo.
Appreciate 0