E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > New STI?

04-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

New STI?

Anyone like it? I actually kind of do. It's faster and looks better than the previous generation STI (although that's not saying much lol). Motortrend said it was the best handling STI as well. Not bad for like 40k
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I like them a lot. Great little car for $40k for the power you get and the interior isn't dirt cheap like it's Mitsubishi rival.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

damn....STI's are up to 40k!!!

I just cant see that.
      04-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I like them a lot. Great little car for $40k for the power you get and the interior isn't dirt cheap like it's Mitsubishi rival.
I hate the looks, but the boy racer in me, who didn't get the memo that I'm an adult and that I should act accordingly, just wants to get one, get the organ donation papers ready and hit the gravel.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
damn....STI's are up to 40k!!!

I just cant see that.
MSRP on the outgoing 2014 was $34,495 and that price had not grown much from when the STI was first brought stateside ($31,120 in 2004). That's an 11% increase in a decade - pretty reasonable.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I like it, but I really wish they would have scrapped the EJ25.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

I had a 2013 for awhile. It was a fun car. Very comfortable seats and driving position.

The AWD, and ability to dial in the front to back bias (to an extent) was excellent as well. I didn't have it through a winter season, but imagine I would have really enjoyed it. The power was sufficient at the start, but like most cars I really wanted more. Power isn't too difficult to come by in those engines, however one always fears the (seemingly) inevitable ring-land failure.

What did it in for me was the gas mileage. Even hypermiling the thing in Intelligent mode I could muster about 20mpg. I felt for a car that for me was a compromise (limited to 4 cylinder power), it should be able to generate substantially more economy than that. When you drove it in fun style, that could drop to 15-17 for a 40 mile commute. Then I was back in 600hp Mustang territory.

Yes, I expected the "you bought a performance car, why did you give a damn about MPG." But ultimately there were too many other vehicles out there that offered more performance with more or similar economy. Many of the alternatives didn't have the awesome AWD, but for me, at that point in time, it didn't bother me. I still think that when we have fullsize 4wd trucks that can muster 18-20mpg highway there is something wrong or at least very outdated about a 4cyl tuner car that struggles to get 20-22. Hell, doesn't the new AMG get something like 32-34 mpg highway with MORE power?

In any case, I still think it was a fun car and there are days I miss it. But I don't miss the mileage. Or the crowd. For a fun car it certainly has the douchiest following, at least from the meets I went to. That's not to say all owners are like that . . . but this group certainly was. I was mid-late twenties, but man, I have never felt older than when I was standing in that crowd.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Doesn't that have a lot to do with gearing? My ex girlfriend had an STI and I remember it being at like 3k RPM on long road trips, which is higher than you want to be for good fuel economy.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Are STI's still ridiculous to insure? I remember my friend's monthly premium was higher than 3 of my cars combined just to get full coverage policy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Doesn't that have a lot to do with gearing? My ex girlfriend had an STI and I remember it being at like 3k RPM on long road trips, which is higher than you want to be for good fuel economy.
It's more to do with how inefficient it is when the turbo's fully spooled (which is often). I got 7 mpg on a full tank when I borrowed a friend's STI, just driving around town, probably never above 50 mph. I wasn't driving any differently than I would have in my M Coupe which normally got around 18-20 mpg in similar situations. Highway mileage is actually decent since you're seldom digging into the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

I remember being in the mid 2k range I think around 65 in 6th. Was a great driver, and I could consistently net 19-20mpg when I micromanaged the pedal. But at some point you want to be able to just relax and enjoy it but not get punched in the balls for 14-15mpg out of a 4cylinder.

Insurance wasn't too bad. I think mine was like $600 a year for good full coverage. However insurance rates vary wildly across the US depending on where you live. It tends to be rather cheap in Oregon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I had a 2013 for awhile. It was a fun car. Very comfortable seats and driving position.

The AWD, and ability to dial in the front to back bias (to an extent) was excellent as well. I didn't have it through a winter season, but imagine I would have really enjoyed it. The power was sufficient at the start, but like most cars I really wanted more. Power isn't too difficult to come by in those engines, however one always fears the (seemingly) inevitable ring-land failure.

What did it in for me was the gas mileage. Even hypermiling the thing in Intelligent mode I could muster about 20mpg. I felt for a car that for me was a compromise (limited to 4 cylinder power), it should be able to generate substantially more economy than that. When you drove it in fun style, that could drop to 15-17 for a 40 mile commute. Then I was back in 600hp Mustang territory.

Yes, I expected the "you bought a performance car, why did you give a damn about MPG." But ultimately there were too many other vehicles out there that offered more performance with more or similar economy. Many of the alternatives didn't have the awesome AWD, but for me, at that point in time, it didn't bother me. I still think that when we have fullsize 4wd trucks that can muster 18-20mpg highway there is something wrong or at least very outdated about a 4cyl tuner car that struggles to get 20-22. Hell, doesn't the new AMG get something like 32-34 mpg highway with MORE power?

In any case, I still think it was a fun car and there are days I miss it. But I don't miss the mileage. Or the crowd. For a fun car it certainly has the douchiest following, at least from the meets I went to. That's not to say all owners are like that . . . but this group certainly was. I was mid-late twenties, but man, I have never felt older than when I was standing in that crowd.

Lately, I've been thinking the same thing as you about my Evo. I love it and all, but I've spent so much just to get the same factory power output of the CLA 55 who has the same size engine and get's worlds better mpg with a touch more of refinement. I get a new cars almost every two years though so maybe it's the itch in me rationalizing again

Ugh, why did I read this post? haha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

I drove a 2013 MR before buying the STI. I really enjoyed it too, and the dual clutch was awesome. I could barely squeeze into the back seat though, and since I drive a lot, often with people in the back, the STi was the winner in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Co-worker has a blue 2012. He is a douche. Car looks nice, but like everyone said, for the price it seems like it leaves a lot more to be desired compared to other platforms in the same price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Co-worker has a blue 2012. He is a douche. Car looks nice, but like everyone said, for the price it seems like it leaves a lot more to be desired compared to other platforms in the same price range.
Which cars outperform an STI in the $35k range?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Which cars outperform an STI in the $35k range?
"A lot more to be desired" isn't technically JUST performance based, but aesthetics, interior quality, MPG's, etc.

I personally don't find much about the new STI to be all that appealing other than its a turbo AWD.

I'd rather spend that money on a new ATS with the 2.0T, CLA 250, or an A4 for that matter, but then again all are built to attend to a different market. Would they outperform? Not likely, but I'm sure the overall build quality and materials would be much nicer to surround myself with day to day.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i like the last gen better than this new one. non of my friends like the looks, as i agree.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
"A lot more to be desired" isn't technically JUST performance based, but aesthetics, interior quality, MPG's, etc.

I personally don't find much about the new STI to be all that appealing other than its a turbo AWD.

I'd rather spend that money on a new ATS with the 2.0T, CLA 250, or an A4 for that matter, but then again all are built to attend to a different market. Would they outperform? Not likely, but I'm sure the overall build quality and materials would be much nicer to surround myself with day to day.
I agree. Honestly, for me it was 80% the MPG, and 20% the fear of modding and fighting the Ringland failure warranty issues. There were a number of people on the forums who experienced ringland issues with zero mods, and knowing my luck I'd have the same problem however Sub USA would point to mods as the cause.

But in reality, if that car got high 20s in MPG . . . I'd probably still have it.

I was super bummed when I saw the prod version of this next gen. Compared to the prototype it was such a big letdown for me. If they had realized what the concept looked like I probably would have bought another one.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

This is the same thing people always say about the Corvette and it's just kind of a silly point. There is always a trade-off at a given price point.

The STI is designed to be a performance economy car - nothing more, nothing less. The other cars mentioned are entry-level luxury vehicles which intended to give you creature comforts and quality materials but they lack the performance prowess of the STI.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Cobb has some huge plans down the road from me... I'll keep y'all posted when I attend their meet if it doesn't conflict with drill again. HQ in Austin is crazy.

Overall they look pretty cool, didn't like how the old one drove as much but I haven't had a whole lot of wheel time in them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #21
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I absolutely love the STi and the Evo. Great cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #22
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

I'm pretty sure once they come out with a good tune for the sti it will be a beast. 0-60 should be around 4 flat I would assume.

As far as the CLA, great car indeed, just HATE the looks. Now if they made that car a little sleeker and smoother, it would be a winner in even category for me.
Appreciate 0