E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Parking brake problems?

02-16-2024, 07:04 AM   #1
jacobmeister
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Parking brake problems?

I have an 2010 E90 325i and a while ago I got an odd noise from the rear right wheel. At first i just thought it was a rock that had gotten lodged between the calipper and the brake shield because it sounded just like that, so i just kept on driving hoping that it would fall out on its own.

The scraping sound came and went a few times but after a while it seemed to be getting worse. Sometimes there would be large thuds and more scraping noises and at low speeds you could sometimes feel some resistance when driving.

Now yesterday while driving over a speedbump there was a horrible thud from the rear right and the car almost came to a stop without me touching the brake. Now there was an even louder scraping noise and it sounded like i had lost the entire wheel or something.

I parked up and realized that the parking brake had now stopped working as well. There was absolutely no resistance in the lever.

I managed to drive it home and while driving smooth at higher speeds its fine but as soon as i drove over some railroad tracks the scraping noise came back.

I've been searching around on the forums and haven't found any post with similar issues.

I'm going to have a mechanic check it out but in the meanwhile I created an account on here and I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced something similar and what it could be caused by.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:50 AM   #2
Gemini562
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

something might have broken or come loose, possibly within the parking brake system or related components
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 01:25 PM   #3
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

I have the same issue on my right rear. I'm attributing the noise to parking break hardware/adjustment or brakes since my rears are long overdo with a massive lip on the rotor. Parking brake just barely engages and takes a ton of force and clicks. I have a FCP Zimmermand/TRW Ultra brake kit and meyle parking brake shoes/hardware ready to go for the spring when it's above 40F. I'll keep everyone updated here for future reference. Can you keep me updated as well?

The scraping noise/thuds occur only on low speed left turns i.e parking lots. Could be delaminated parking brake shoes? Impossible to tell without disassembly.

I highly doubt its differential/wheel bearing related. The differential was serviced by previous owner and then again by me at 90k and 130k. The drivetrain is quite on fast turns regardless of how tight they are.
Appreciate 1