E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Kimi signs with....

09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #45
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Almost doesn't count.
except in hand grenades and horseshoes?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #46
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Kimi holds the lap record at the next track on the circuit, Singapore
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #47
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Huh? That's a 2 time world champ that beat Schumy and the Scuderia at their Zenith. Alonso could die today and his capabilities have been proven.
Plenty of 2-time champs that weren't really that good. Hakkinen, Piquet, et al.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #48
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Hakkinen not that good?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #49
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Hakkinen not that good?
Hakkinen had a superior car. That same car gave many victories to some other drivers besides Hakkinen: Coulthard, Raikkonen, you could even stretch it to Montoya and Alonso. Once the car stopped being superior, Hakkinen faded away...

Compare that to other superior cars like the Ferrari of Schumacher, where Irvine and Barrichello didn't really win much, or the Red Bull of Vettel/Webber or the Renault of Alonso/Fisichella, same case.
With Hakkinen's McLaren, it was always close with Coulthard. Not to say Coulthard was not good, but he was clearly not in the top tier.

It's my opinion, of course. Not to disrespect Hakkinen or his fans...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #50
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

With two exceptional cars you can afford one mediocre driver. With two mediocre cars you need two exceptional drivers to compete in the constructors championship.

Ferrari now have two great drivers. Massa is nice but he is simply not fast enough unless he is in an exceptional car. I'm not saying he is slow but I doubt Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Kimi fears Massa one bit but they do fear each other.

That said I really hoped for Kimi to stay with Lotus. I would have absolutely loved for Lotus to win the championship and show that talent ( driver and constructor ) counts for more than the deepest pockets.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #51
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
With two exceptional cars you can afford one mediocre driver. With two mediocre cars you need two exceptional drivers to compete in the constructors championship.

Ferrari now have two great drivers. Massa is nice but he is simply not fast enough unless he is in an exceptional car. I'm not saying he is slow but I doubt Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Kimi fears Massa one bit but they do fear each other.

That said I really hoped for Kimi to stay with Lotus. I would have absolutely loved for Lotus to win the championship and show that talent ( driver and constructor ) counts for more than the deepest pockets.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #52
JarekSanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Alonso only won his second championship because Schumy's tire failed in the last race of that year. If his tire doesn't fail, he wins 8th title. That said, I think Alonso is the best driver the last two years. He is driving an inferior car and still competing with Vettle. Same goes for Kimi... Who else could drive the Lotus and be in the hunt?

Finally, a little inside info. Met an engineer from Seattle area who worked at Ferrari for ten years. F1 budget was cut from something like $600 million to $200 million.

As good as Kimi and Alonso are, better than Vettle in my opinion, they won't win unless Red Bull shifts the bed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #53
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

He might not race in Korea. Apparently his back problems were exacerbated this weekend in Singapore. He'll be spending a lot of time with Vettel's Physiotherapist.
Appreciate 0