E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rattling after service

08-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
avi312singh
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport

Rattling after service

Hi after I got a service done from the garage I get a rattling when revving the engine or accelerating on an incline. It sounds like it is coming from the dashboard area but I suspect it is something under the bonnet any ideas as to what it could be?

I noticed the mechanic forgot to put the top 2 bolts in at the top which are now silver, just on top of the engine cover... Could that be it? It is a tight fit though
E90 2010
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Could be anything - even a mechanic's tool left somewhere! Why not use a rubber-headed mallet to gently tap everything under the bonnet and see if you can reproduce the rattle?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:48 AM   #3
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

And while you're at it, clean your engine bay.

Noticed the cover is off the center "strut brace" bolt, was that removed for the service? Check the torque on the bolt, if that's loose it would sound like it's coming from the dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 02:40 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
Noticed the cover is off the center "strut brace" bolt, was that removed for the service? Check the torque on the bolt, if that's loose it would sound like it's coming from the dash.
Good spot!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:39 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'd bet it's the plastic engine cover isn't seated correctly
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
avi312singh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
And while you're at it, clean your engine bay.

Thanks for that! What bit do you mean in particular? The engine cover itself is loose or the black bit that sits on top of it?
The guy did an air filter and oil filter change so not sure what he took off to be honest
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi312singh View Post
Thanks for that! What bit do you mean in particular? The engine cover itself is loose or the black bit that sits on top of it?
The guy did an air filter and oil filter change so not sure what he took off to be honest
Just to the right of the passenger side wiper arm pivot there is a hole in the plastic cowl (there should be a grommet/cover on this). In the hole you should see a bolt head. Check if this is tight.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

BTW it's pretty important you get that little round cover fitted, otherwise next time it rains you'll get wet feet Pretty sure it's needed to keep water out of the dash/passenger compartment.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #9
avi312singh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Just to the right of the passenger side wiper arm pivot there is a hole in the plastic cowl (there should be a grommet/cover on this). In the hole you should see a bolt head. Check if this is tight.
Oh wow fair... That was a good spot!!
Appreciate 0