E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top Gear USA premiere tonight! History Channel (thoughts and reviews)

11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #89
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
I finally got an opportunity to see the show on my DVR. I like it more than the gimmick filled British version. The test track is fantastic.

Are you serious? TGUS was just another car show to me. Not anything close to the original show. Even the Aussie version seems better right now.

But if people keep watching, the production team will have something to keep working on and a better budget - so it might get better with time.

Camera needs more work - some shots felt very artificial and they should loose those cones and barriers on the test track and make it look like 'proper' test track.

I've been a fan of TopGear for more than a decade - even though it's very hard to catch their episode here in the US. I like the fact that JC changed his opinion on BMW drivers as soon as I sold My S4 and got a 335i - BMW drivers are no longer cocks and now it's Audi drivers.... LOL

PS - Why can't a big network buy a TopGear UK license and air it here in the US with local ads. I know it airs on BBC America (not sure but I think they show previous episodes) - but many cable providers don't even offer that channel

Last edited by mad_max; 11-23-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #90
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
btw...so did American Stig went on diet???
we saw him couple years ago and he was fat back in Florida ....
He is still bigger than the British Stig. He looked cramped in every car he was in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #91
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
He is still bigger than the British Stig. He looked cramped in every car he was in.
He's working out....extensively in motorsport...like Jeremy Clarkson in The Italian Job....
      11-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #92
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
PS - Why can't a big network buy a TopGear UK license and air it here in the US with local ads. I know it airs on BBC America (not sure but I think they show previous episodes) - but many cable providers don't even offer that channel
Discovery Channel did it back in 2005...I remember watching the race between the Ferrari 612 vs the airplane episode on Discovery with commercial....still...nothing compares to the no-commercial full episode....

i'm not sure...but seems they have cut 17 mins out to fulfill the commercials....
      11-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #93
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

No criticism of cars. Boring extended commercial with forced charisma.

Seems rather ordinary and generic to me. I think i'll stick to just watching the original.

The biggest thing Top Gear has going for it is its freedom to criticize and be negative towards products. This along with the slap stick charisma of the 3 main presentors is what makes Top Gear great and interesting.
      11-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #94
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I didn't expect a whole lot of polish or chemistry, and so I wasn't very surprised at how dull and contrived it seemed.

I like how BBC doesn't really care too much about how non-PC some of the content is on the real Top Gear. I don't think the American version of the show is going to be able to get away with that. Too many whiners in this country.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #95
KTS1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I thought it was alright, but do hope it gets better. If people keep watching I know it will get better so just keep watching.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #96
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm watching it and I'll continue to watch it. It'll evolve and the hosts will get better chemistry once they're working together a while.
Watch Top Gear from BBC when they first started. They were all tools too! Although Tanner Faust will always be a tool. They evolved and it became the phenom it is.

The cinematography is really good. It "looks" to be shot the same way as the BBC version.

Side note: Did anyone catch the host saying the Suzuki SX4 was FWD!
Who here thinks The Stig is Paul Tracy?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #97
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
Side note: Did anyone catch the host saying the Suzuki SX4 was FWD!
Who here thinks The Stig is Paul Tracy?
They were right. That SX4 is the sportback model, which is FWD. http://suzukiauto.com/sx4_sportback/specs/?r=left
      11-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #98
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Any time Tanner is doing a narrative, I feel like I'm watching Motorweek, which isn't a compliment at all. As much as I hate Clarkson, he sure does a great job vocally. He's a helluva presenter.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #99
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
This show will only get worse, moreso if it gains any sort of traction and popularity. Top Gear UK is financed by tax dollars and so they have little bias when evaluating cars. As soon as this gains some popularity all the car manufacturers, aftermarket part makers and more will be lined up to advertise. History channel would never say anything negative about a sponsor. Its going to turn into a commercial sales pitch piece of shit like every other television program in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #100
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Any time Tanner is doing a narrative, I feel like I'm watching Motorweek, which isn't a compliment at all. As much as I hate Clarkson, he sure does a great job vocally. He's a helluva presenter.
I agree.

All in all, not bad for a first episode. I think we're all going to be somewhat biased by our affection for the UK hosts though, especially considering Clarkson's performance is usually spot-on. TGUK has had plenty of time to develop its style too, with plenty of vignetting, high contrast and low saturation, and some extremely well done editing.

I'll continue to watch all the episodes and support the series. I'd like to see it build up to be something big. The hosts really need to build up their own attitude though. I like Tanner for his skills and know-how, but he's too formal with his presentation. The other two actually pissed me off with their complete lack of knowledge in terms of driving. Short shifted the hell out of those Lambos.

I hope everybody continues to give the series a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #101
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
No criticism of cars.

The biggest thing Top Gear has going for it is its freedom to criticize and be negative towards products.
Quote:
I like how BBC doesn't really care too much about how non-PC some of the content is on the real Top Gear. I don't think the American version of the show is going to be able to get away with that. Too many whiners in this country.
These are both very good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS1010 View Post
If people keep watching I know it will get better so just keep watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I'm watching it and I'll continue to watch it. It'll evolve and the hosts will get better chemistry once they're working together a while.
Watch Top Gear from BBC when they first started. They were all tools too! Although Tanner Faust will always be a tool. They evolved and it became the phenom it is.
Exactly. Keep supporting the show and it'll improve. I like how they poked at Faust being a tool in this actually. They just need a lot more of that.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #102
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Wow, if some of you guys don't think that TGUK is biased towards Aston Martin, a British maker, then you haven't watched the series over the years. If I'm the only one that thinks that then shoot me.

Speaking of "PC" you know how Jeremy Clarkson is always calling Americans fat and obese? I think the series would take off if one of the hosts would harp on the British populations dental problems. At least they'd have my respect for putting it back.

Oh, and they should have Danica Patrick on to do some driving! Like Sabine Schmitz

But i'm gonna stay tuned! hopefully they will rag on some cars though that do deserve it.

You know who should be a host?! Jesse James! LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #103
japears2
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3-MR

Id say they favor cars like Aston Martin and Range Rover because they are British and not because of any sponsorship influence...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #104
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by japears2 View Post
Id say they favor cars like Aston Martin and Range Rover because they are British and not because of any sponsorship influence...
I think they do it because that show thrives on stereotypes, both the support of them and the exploitation of them, as a tool to convey humor. Like Nukka said, if we keep supporting the program, it will only improve. I think the guys will loosen up after a bit, and hopefully the post-production team will get into a groove and style of their own as well.

It wasn't bad, and it wasn't any worse than I would expect a first episode to be, but it was difficult to digest after getting used to the now-refined TGUK. I think the big selling point for me will be whether or not they'll develop everyone-else-be-damned personalities and that THC won't inhibit bashing or opinionated, stereotyping TV.

I do wish the other 2 guys besides Tanner were more car-savvy though. You know the guys on TGUK own a lot of enthusiast cars, and participate in driving events, and that's one area that really bolsters their critiques. I dunno about Rutledge and the other dude; I don't even know who they are, but they don't seem like enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #105
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

My review:

It's absolutely rubbish. I'm only about 3/4ths into it so far but I've come to a conclusion. I know more about cars than these buffoons. The fat guy "rutlidge" or whatever his name is irritates the hell out of me, the only thing thats come out of his mouth so far is "crap, dude, crap, i just crapped myself, dude, missiles, dude, wwwoooaahhh". And the main guy I've been watching on that super cars show for awhile and I just really don't like his personality - But that's just my opinion. He can drive though. Don't know much about the last guy yet. The jokes make me want to punch a wall. "lol but it has missiles" (while showing empty firing tubes). And when talking about the viper "that means its got a 10 cylinder". How about you tell me how many liters the motor is? Besides no traction I heard nothing else technical (like how it has no AC). And now I'm watching the Lamborghini where I'm paused.

Edit:

"It has polycarbonate glass.... so you can see the engine"
LOL. Oh - And during the viper chase the bearded idiot had no idea where he was going. I mean isn't that his hometown? "Going down blasphemy drive" herp derp. And during the lap times, why the hell is the minimap so big? It takes up half the goddamm screen. I want to see a superleggera shred the track not a UAV online minimap taking up the whole thing.

another memorable quote: that clap sushi chefs do that makes....... japanese people salivate. hahahahahahahahah

The Lamborghini segment was actually pretty cool. The last guy Adam is my favorite. I thought what was funny was the fat guy was bragging about beating the RWD 6spd Balboni by 3mph when hes driving a paddle shift SV.

All in all the two sidekicks don't seem to know much about cars - The fat guy is utterly useless, and the guy Adam cracks me up but he doesn't seem to know much either. Honestly, I was at cars and coffee a few months back and I saw a kid on his dads shoulders - Maybe 4 or 5, look at an R8 and go, "look daddy, its the Audi, the V10 5.2 version!". I almost shit.

hosts. (5/10)
filming (8/10)

Last edited by sb335is; 11-24-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #106
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Remember, Clarkson was actually a journalist, not a car guy.

Oops for the FWD comment! I thought they called that car an SX4 because it was AWD. Who's the noob now? Not that I paid much attention to a Suzuki SX4.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #107
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

I just watched it again on DVR and I have to agree that the "mini" map is pretty massive. Maybe that's what annoyed me with the laps the first time I watched it. But other than that, I really had nothing to complain much about.

Many of you have to remember that this is a COMPLETELY new show! Here and we're not talking about a sitcom or something like that. NONE of these guys have done anything like this before. Tanner comes the closest with his SpeedTv shows. Once these guys get comfortable in their shoes they will probably write more of their own material and not have to remember someone else's writing. 99% of people have a period of adjustment when starting a new job, what makes this any different. And what makes it more difficult is that they have to win over those who do watch TGUK.

If you guys support the show and muster through the first episodes and find the good. Maybe sometime down the road we will have a TG franchise to be proud of as well. Give them time to gel.

One thing I might comment is that the segments, to me, look betting in film (TGUK) as opposed to HD video (TGUS), seems more dramatic or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #108
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
My review:

It's absolutely rubbish. I'm only about 3/4ths into it so far but I've come to a conclusion. I know more about cars than these buffoons. The fat guy "rutlidge" or whatever his name is irritates the hell out of me, the only thing thats come out of his mouth so far is "crap, dude, crap, i just crapped myself, dude, missiles, dude, wwwoooaahhh". And the main guy I've been watching on that super cars show for awhile and I just really don't like his personality - But that's just my opinion. He can drive though. Don't know much about the last guy yet. The jokes make me want to punch a wall. "lol but it has missiles" (while showing empty firing tubes). And when talking about the viper "that means its got a 10 cylinder". How about you tell me how many liters the motor is? Besides no traction I heard nothing else technical (like how it has no AC). And now I'm watching the Lamborghini where I'm paused.

Edit:

"It has polycarbonate glass.... so you can see the engine"
LOL. Oh - And during the viper chase the bearded idiot had no idea where he was going. I mean isn't that his hometown? "Going down blasphemy drive" herp derp. And during the lap times, why the hell is the minimap so big? It takes up half the goddamm screen. I want to see a superleggera shred the track not a UAV online minimap taking up the whole thing.

another memorable quote: that clap sushi chefs do that makes....... japanese people salivate. hahahahahahahahah

The Lamborghini segment was actually pretty cool. The last guy Adam is my favorite. I thought what was funny was the fat guy was bragging about beating the RWD 6spd Balboni by 3mph when hes driving a paddle shift SV.

All in all the two sidekicks don't seem to know much about cars - The fat guy is utterly useless, and the guy Adam cracks me up but he doesn't seem to know much either. Honestly, I was at cars and coffee a few months back and I saw a kid on his dads shoulders - Maybe 4 or 5, look at an R8 and go, "look daddy, its the Audi, the V10 5.2 version!". I almost shit.

hosts. (5/10)
filming (8/10)
Yes, the fat hipster has to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #109
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Ya besides tanner the other two guys dont know much about anything when it comes to cars, idk where they found these nobody's.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #110
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Rutledge (AKA "The Fat Guy") is actually a pretty cool car-guy. All of you whiny snobs need to get off your high-horse, this was the first episode! I thought all three hosts had some good moments (and some pretty bad) but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

Rutledge is actually a poster on honda-tech and had this to say about his first TG episode:

http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=121

Give these guys a chance. Whats wrong with more TG anyway???
Appreciate 0