E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mechanical fault diagnosis

06-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
chris110
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series 325i

Mechanical fault diagnosis

Hi guys

I've had my 325i for just under 6 months (57 plate) and noticed a clicking/clacking noise when I come off the clutch and when I'm in a low gear:

(first 10 seconds of video)

I took it to an independent BMW garage this week and they are not certain what is wrong with it, they suspect it may need a new diff but are not totally sure. They told me to leave it a month and come back, to see if there are any more symptoms.

Just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Kontra
Private
Rep
Drives: N51 128i

I have a similar sound to this, although mine doesn't seem to be clutch related. The sound occurs during a shift of momentum of the car, most easily exaggerated in 2nd gear, inside somewhere, at minimum speeds while clutch fully engaged. I recently brought my car in for service, replicated the sound while having a service foreman sit in. Upon replicating this sound to him, within a few seconds he was positive the sound was due to the lack of lubrication on some flange in the diff. Next time my car sees the inside of the dealership they'll have the parts/labor information ready for me, in the mean time I'll do my best to get a sound clip.

edit: tech also mentioned that this sound doesn't indicate any harm to the car, but I've had this for a few months now and hearing that doesn't do squat.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
chris110
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontra View Post
I have a similar sound to this, although mine doesn't seem to be clutch related. The sound occurs during a shift of momentum of the car, most easily exaggerated in 2nd gear, inside somewhere, at minimum speeds while clutch fully engaged. I recently brought my car in for service, replicated the sound while having a service foreman sit in. Upon replicating this sound to him, within a few seconds he was positive the sound was due to the lack of lubrication on some flange in the diff. Next time my car sees the inside of the dealership they'll have the parts/labor information ready for me, in the mean time I'll do my best to get a sound clip.

edit: tech also mentioned that this sound doesn't indicate any harm to the car, but I've had this for a few months now and hearing that doesn't do squat.
Thanks for the input, has your problem been resolved? The noise I'm getting doesn't seem to be getting any worse but is very noticeable. I feel like something is just going to go.
Appreciate 0