E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > computer help

03-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
computer help

I put this in here because I didn't want it to sit un noticed in the computer forum.. It is kind of urgent.

I have a number of issues right now, but I will start by saying Newegg can suck my nuts twice.

-They knowingly supplied me with parts that would spell the end for my motherboard. (Not a huge deal, it was a POS biostar.)
-They took 5 months to decide if they were going to give me a $50.00 credit for ruining my motherboard. ($50 dollars was my suggestion in response to their $10.00 off my next purchase and free shipping.)
-They wanted me to pay return shipping after mailing me incorrect parts.
-Was hung up on after I tried explaining that even though Friday was the last day of the work week, it is still a business day. Newegg does not believe in Friday's.

For some reason, I continued to buy my parts from newegg. So here is what I got.

Asus P7H55D-M Mobo
Intel i3-530 2.93 dual core Processor
Crucial 8GB Ram

I was so happy to have my computer back when all the parts came. 5 months was too long. So I hooked it all up to find my hard drive took a shit. Great. So I contacted Seagate, and they instructed me to make an image of my hard drive onto an external hard drive, which I did.

Here is my 1st question- HOW DO I GET MY FRIENDS COMPUTER TO RECOGNIZE MY SATA HARD DRIVE???

His master is SATA. My new hard drive is SATA. I don't know anything about SATA, only IDE. There are no jumpers, so I don't know what to do. Is there anything in BIOS I need to check? Am I missing something?

Secondly, my processor overheats within about 3 minutes. Cooling was never an issue. The only thing that comes to mind, is there is not a sufficient amount of thermal compound on the CPU. Does this sound right to you? Or is there a more serious problem I should look into?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
His master is SATA. My new hard drive is SATA. I don't know anything about SATA, only IDE. There are no jumpers, so I don't know what to do. Is there anything in BIOS I need to check? Am I missing something?

Secondly, my processor overheats within about 3 minutes. Cooling was never an issue. The only thing that comes to mind, is there is not a sufficient amount of thermal compound on the CPU. Does this sound right to you? Or is there a more serious problem I should look into?

Thanks in advance.
Dunno man, make sure all your SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS, and you should see that it recognizes the drive from there.

As far as thermal compound goes, you will need some, but much less than many people think. There are lots of guides out there on it, but you'll need just a thin layer of AS5 (preferably) to do the job.

Also check in the BIOS what temp it cuts off at, and you can monitor that temp when you're in your Windows environment. Is your CPU fan spinning at least?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Dunno man, make sure all your SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS, and you should see that it recognizes the drive from there.

As far as thermal compound goes, you will need some, but much less than many people think. There are lots of guides out there on it, but you'll need just a thin layer of AS5 (preferably) to do the job.

Also check in the BIOS what temp it cuts off at, and you can monitor that temp when you're in your Windows environment. Is your CPU fan spinning at least?
The port has to be enabled, because all I did was rip the cables out of his CD drive and put them in the HD.

I got this stuff, as Newegg gave me a credit and I didnt feel like giving them any more money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835154003

I will check/revise my BIOS settings once I get this hard drive problem straightened out.

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

buy a mac, hahah jaykay
      03-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i already have a mac..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

i was just getting the fanboy mac comment out of the way, i dont even own one haha
      03-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
The port has to be enabled, because all I did was rip the cables out of his CD drive and put them in the HD.
Well then in the BIOS you should be able to see the HDD as occupying a SATA slot. Is it showing as present?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Well then in the BIOS you should be able to see the HDD as occupying a SATA slot. Is it showing as present?
To be honest, I don't know how to get into BIOS. I only know how to mess with the boot sequence.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know how to get into BIOS. I only know how to mess with the boot sequence.
depends on computer, usually F1 or F2 on startup

edit: here ya go

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/283-how-to...ur-bios-set-up
      03-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
and how do i verify the hard drive? what do i do if it is not recognized?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I can't remember what Asuk's typical BIOS access function key is, but it should say on startup.

Here are a couple of the screens you'll want to get to.... I dunno what "Enhanced" SATA is vs "Compatible". You might want to consult your literature on that one, but on the main screen you should be able to see both of your hard drives. If you don't see them both here, you won't see them in Windoze.

I'm going to assume you didn't try to OC it if you don't know where the BIOS is, so I'm going to assume that's not a factor.

Make sure your CPU fan is plugged into its designated connector?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
I can't remember what Asuk's typical BIOS access function key is, but it should say on startup.

Here are a couple of the screens you'll want to get to.... I dunno what "Enhanced" SATA is vs "Compatible". You might want to consult your literature on that one, but on the main screen you should be able to see both of your hard drives. If you don't see them both here, you won't see them in Windoze.

I'm going to assume you didn't try to OC it if you don't know where the BIOS is, so I'm going to assume that's not a factor.

Make sure your CPU fan is plugged into its designated connector?
I will be OC'ing.. With proper instruction of course. Fan spins as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

what do you do for a living raging, if u dont mind me asking...guessing something with computers haha
      03-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
what do you do for a living raging, if u dont mind me asking...guessing something with computers haha

there are PLENTY of threads on this.. and ive always wanted to do this....

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there are PLENTY of threads on this.. and ive always wanted to do this....

DAMNIT i didnt think his occupation would be so well known so i didnt even search
      03-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
hahahahha it was a joke
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
So here is what I got.

Asus P7H55D-M Mobo
Intel i3-530 2.93 dual core Processor
Crucial 8GB Ram

Here is my 1st question- HOW DO I GET MY FRIENDS COMPUTER TO RECOGNIZE MY SATA HARD DRIVE???

There are no jumpers, so I don't know what to do. Is there anything in BIOS I need to check? Am I missing something?

It looks like we have an 1156 socket board, running and i3 processor and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Overheating the processor repeatedly is bad.
What fan/heatsink are you running? As the previous poster had suggested, check your BIOS settings on start up. Are you certain it's your processor and not your RAM that's overheating?

Your SATA cables can be found on NewEgg or Tigerdirect. They can vary in price and length. Here's one for $5.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hahahahha it was a joke
haha ive been on this forum long enough to hate those "Do i have ____?" questions that can be known by a simple
      03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I do all kinds of hardware and software development and testing, but I'm in the industrial automation field so what I know about OC'ing and higher performance peripherals is all because it's a hobby. So between work and spare time, I absorb a lot of this stuff. I'm no expert though.

Quote:
DAMNIT i didnt think his occupation would be so well known so i didnt even search
Geez I hope not. Once the illusion of anonymity is gone, I quit the internet. Sometimes I consider it anyway, but then I wouldn't know anything because I wouldn't be able to access all the knowledge out there in forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
It looks like we have an 1156 socket board, running and i3 processor and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Overheating the processor repeatedly is bad.
What fan/heatsink are you running? As the previous poster had suggested, check your BIOS settings on start up. Are you certain it's your processor and not your RAM that's overheating?

Your SATA cables can be found on NewEgg or Tigerdirect. They can vary in price and length. Here's one for $5.
the fan/heatsink came with the processor.. no im not certain because i cant keep it running long enough to check the temps in bios.

thermal compound?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I do all kinds of hardware and software development and testing, but I'm in the industrial automation field so what I know about OC'ing and higher performance peripherals is all because it's a hobby. So between work and spare time, I absorb a lot of this stuff. I'm no expert though.

Geez I hope not. Once the illusion of anonymity is gone, I quit the internet. Sometimes I consider it anyway, but then I wouldn't know anything because I wouldn't be able to access all the knowledge out there in forums.
well IMO you are an expert haha
      03-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
the fan/heatsink came with the processor.. no im not certain because i cant keep it running long enough to check the temps in bios.

thermal compound?
That's just bad news. Did you not apply thermal compound at all? Even so, if the heatsink was sitting flush on the processor, you should get higher than normal temps, but I wouldn't think you'd crash in seconds. That just doesn't sound right.

Stock heat sinks are shit anyway. I don't know much about the i3, but I know the i7 ones were absolute garbage, even at stock speeds. I doubt they would have revamped the design for the i3.

Give the AS5 route a try. If this doesn't work, you've got something very wrong. Were the proc, ram, or mobo open box items?
Appreciate 0