E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover confusion. Please help especially if you have first hand experience

10-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Coilover confusion. Please help especially if you have first hand experience

I'm looking to do my suspension with coilovers next Friday. I've heard several opinions, each with people saying good and bad. I want to know which would fit my needs the best. Thx

I have an e93 335i. I'm looking for something that will give me the max handling with minimal degradation of ride comfort. I live in Florida, mostly smooth roads. I have stock sport suspension. I'm also planning on M3 front control arms and M3 subframe and control arm bushings, and a WaveTrac LSD with Defiv Fabrication rear lockdown. I am not looking to lower much if any past stock sport suspension level. Maybe 1" max in front, 1/2" rear. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. FINAL OBJECTIVE IS TO OUT HANDLE A LAST GENERATION M3 OR CURRENT M4 WITHOUT HAVING A HARSH RIDE.

I've looked at the following
Bilstein B12 pro
BC Racing BR
KW V2
KW comfort street.

All are in the budget.
-Bilstein has the most recommendations so far. Most say very comfortable but handling may be less than others.
-BC was recommended by my installer. It has a mix of good and bad but he says as good as the others and it's based in my town and he has a relationship with them. If I have any problems or want any changes he can get it done fast and easy.
-KW both look good. But their descriptions of these suck. Hard to tell how they compare to each other or the other brands based on general adjectives vs say a rating scale for different characteristics.

Anyway, I need to decide ASAP. Any feedback at all is welcome. No, I don't want HR, Koni, ST, etc. Thx.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles

Last edited by Fundguy1; 10-31-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Azurite F80 M3

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
If you have the budget definitely go with v2 or bilstein if not some other high end coilover and forget about BC. These two companes have a lot more r&d into their suspensions and will ride/handle better. I personally have v2 and love them. Handles much better/tighter than the OEM setup. I haven't had bilstein but heard those are amazing as well. Maybe bilstein will be easier to adjust the rear cause kW are tedious to change the rear ride height
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
fyi kW sc has linear springs, v2 is progressive. Both have adjustable rebound.
bilstein b12 does not adjust.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've tried a few spring shock combos on this car. KW sc will offer the best handling and ride comfort of those you've listed.
If you're going to increase spring rates and install subframe bushings I'd suggest you consider something firmer the M3 subframe bushings such as powerflex or group n
      10-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I presume our budget won't stretch to Ohlins? You won't get a better coilover as far as minimizing detriment to ride quality is concerned...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I run KW V3's on my E92 335. I run BC's on my other car, an Infiniti FX. I know they are different platforms, but KW's are in another league compared to BC. IMO, progressive springs are better on street cars. You get better small bump response and the progressive rate helps keep you from blowing through the travel. And the damping on KW's is much better than BC.

I think the BC is actually a good coil over, especially for the price. But the shocks aren't great and the damping adjustments don't do much. The ones on my FX are 32 way adjustable, but it's sort of pointless. And the spring rates BC uses are pretty soft. I blew through the travel a lot on my FX. So I went to higher rate springs which helped with not bottoming. The downside is that now the ride is harsher, you feel everything. The BC's basically feel like the shocks aren't matched to the springs, they felt this way even with the standard rate springs that BC picks.

Upside of BC is they're cheaper and they come with camber plates.
Appreciate 0