E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D with the most power?

10-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Tdi was that w the downpipe on it or meth
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

TDI it looks like ecotune made some modifications to your shift timing or pressures? Your shifts are way quicker than mine and since youre running a lot more power it oughta be the opposite if anything
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #25
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
TDI it looks like ecotune made some modifications to your shift timing or pressures? Your shifts are way quicker than mine and since youre running a lot more power it oughta be the opposite if anything
Interesting comment on the shift points. I should go back and look at the video's of my previous runs and see how they compare.

I'm not sure how the remap would've changed the shift points as only the DDE was modified. The transmission control module is still stock.

I had used the Bav Tech tool to reset the transmission adaptations ~month prior after changing out my winter wheel/tires which are larger diameter than stock. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I was also forcing the shifts earlier in the rpm range than what it would do if it decided itself when to shift. I've also been changing my trans fluid (done it twice so far) due to the higher the stock loading and reset trans adaptations when doing that and doing oil analysis on the fluid to monitor the health of the unit. So far it's holding up well.

PR, this was with the Ecotune remap and downpipe. Although the only quantifiable benefit I could measure from the downpipe vs the gutted DPF canister, with DOC still remaining, was slightly lower EGT's at the same power levels. Also utilizing ~60/40 methanol/water at a peak of 730ml/min with some of my custom stuff controlling it and some other things...
      10-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Interesting comment on the shift points. I should go back and look at the video's of my previous runs and see how they compare.

I'm not sure how the remap would've changed the shift points as only the DDE was modified. The transmission control module is still stock.

I had used the Bav Tech tool to reset the transmission adaptations ~month prior after changing out my winter wheel/tires which are larger diameter than stock. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I was also forcing the shifts earlier in the rpm range than what it would do if it decided itself when to shift. I've also been changing my trans fluid (done it twice so far) due to the higher the stock loading and reset trans adaptations when doing that and doing oil analysis on the fluid to monitor the health of the unit. So far it's holding up well.
not the shift points, the speed of the actual shift. Looked like it engaged the next gear much more quickly than my car does. Also, I dont know that we have a separate TCM, have you seen anything to suggest that we do? I dont see a TCM on realOEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #27
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
not the shift points, the speed of the actual shift. Looked like it engaged the next gear much more quickly than my car does. Also, I dont know that we have a separate TCM, have you seen anything to suggest that we do? I dont see a TCM on realOEM.
I "think" it's mounted on the transmission. This isn't from a BMW, but I'd expect it to be similar on our vehicles.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com.../6hp_trans.pdf

The TCM for the transmission is mounted on top of the main control valve body. The control module for the transmission has been designed to operate correctly
in the environment in which the TCM is located. The TCM is activated and deactivated by the ignition supply and is connected to the transmission link harness by
a 16-way connector.
The TCM controls the operation of the transmission. The TCM processes information received in both analogue and digital form such as:
• Transmission Input Shaft Speed (ISS).
• Output Shaft Speed (OSS).
• Throttle pedal position.
• Gearshift selector position.
• Engine torque.
• Engine speed. Jaguar Cars Revision Date: October 2003 Page 8 of 30
• Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT).
• Brake pedal status.
• Engine oil temperature.
• Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT).
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) wheel speed.
This information is then used by the TCM to decide which shift pattern to select and for shift energy management. Electro-hydraulic solenoid valves and pressure
regulators control the transmission gear changes.
Five pressure regulators and one solenoid valve are used
      10-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #28
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Mounted on top of the valve body, inside the transmission? What a stupid place for a computer. Why not put the PCM in the oil pan while were at it? It could literally go anywhere in the car and be just as effective, yet not be covered in heat and trans fluid for its whole life...

Well, I still dont see it on realOEM even looking at the trans diagrams but its possible that its considered a part of the valve body. Youre still ramping your JBD to 100% at the top of the rev range right? I considered that my computer's calculated torque would be wrong since the fuel delivered would be way short of actual when running JBD at 100%, which would generally put the shift into a lower commanded pressure range and cause a more lazy shift, but if youre still ramping the JBD to 100% there shouldnt be any difference in the error there.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mounted on top of the valve body, inside the transmission? What a stupid place for a computer. Why not put the PCM in the oil pan while were at it? It could literally go anywhere in the car and be just as effective, yet not be covered in heat and trans fluid for its whole life...

Well, I still dont see it on realOEM even looking at the trans diagrams but its possible that its considered a part of the valve body. Youre still ramping your JBD to 100% at the top of the rev range right? I considered that my computer's calculated torque would be wrong since the fuel delivered would be way short of actual when running JBD at 100%, which would generally put the shift into a lower commanded pressure range and cause a more lazy shift, but if youre still ramping the JBD to 100% there shouldnt be any difference in the error there.
http://www.furitech.com.au/index.php...-transmission/

Yeah, interesting that its in the fluid.

One of the reason I made my own ramping/control circuitry was due to concern on what you describe with the actual torque vs calculated torque for the health of the trans. I can bring in the "extra" stuff above the rpm range where the measured (with G-tech and now PerfExpert for on road tuning) torque normally starts to fall off, even though the Bav Tech data showed the internal calculated torque was holding steady, so as not to over stress the trans in the low rpm range with extra torque (which is silly anyway as I need drag tires to maintain traction in 3rd gear at full skinny pedal). The oil analysis on the trans fluid seems to indicate this strategy has worked well over the years.
      11-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
iaknown
Banned
Rep

So I take it the European guys adjust their dyno numbers to read at the crank? Or am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw Hoopers earlier post.....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #31
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Quote:
Let's get some more 11 second diesels into the mix. You'll need something around 500 hp type of capability to achieve this with the weight of the car.
Good morning everyone.

TDI, what was your fastest run with street tyres? Or were those tyres street capable?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #32
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
Good morning everyone.

TDI, what was your fastest run with street tyres? Or were those tyres street capable?
I gave up on the "summer tires" a couple years ago when traction was a problem, even with all the emissions equipment. The Michelin PSS's were pretty good but not sticky enough.

Now run road legal DOT compliant drag tires for my summer tires. They give up treadwear for extreme traction. My normal summer tire is a Nitto NT555R but I also have a set of Hoosier DOT drag radials. I can get similar launch performance from both, but the Nitto's feel more stable for everyday use, especially in corners. And they do really well with rain (we get lots of that around here).

http://www.nittotire.com/race-tires/...g-radial-tire/

Cold weather is back and have switched to my Continental DWS tires. Really noticing the lack of traction in 2nd/3rd...
      11-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #33
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
What size are you running in the rear with the Nitto NT555R tires TDIwyse? I'm guessing you don't get a lot of life on them for everyday street use and they are most likely much noisier than the MPSS too.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #34
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
What size are you running in the rear with the Nitto NT555R tires TDIwyse? I'm guessing you don't get a lot of life on them for everyday street use and they are most likely much noisier than the MPSS too.
245/45R17 paired with a 235/45/R17 DW in the front (yes, I'm aware of the risks of mixing different brand/compound tires). Both of these are larger diameter than stock (DW ~25.3" and Nitto much larger at 25.7" and really fill the wheel wells but no rubbing). Did 6000 mls on the Nitto's this summer and they look like they'll be good for at least one more summer based on the wear rate. If I can get two seasons for some super sticky summer only tires ... that's something I can live with. Can't say I noticed them being noisier, but I don't have any data to quantify a difference. They did provide surprisingly good mpg's for commuting and highway use as well.
      11-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #35
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
245/45R17 paired with a 235/45/R17 DW in the front (yes, I'm aware of the risks of mixing different brand/compound tires). Both of these are larger diameter than stock (DW ~25.3" and Nitto much larger at 25.7" and really fill the wheel wells but no rubbing). Did 6000 mls on the Nitto's this summer and they look like they'll be good for at least one more summer based on the wear rate. If I can get two seasons for some super sticky summer only tires ... that's something I can live with. Can't say I noticed them being noisier, but I don't have any data to quantify a difference. They did provide surprisingly good mpg's for commuting and highway use as well.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you about two seasons with super sticky tires being a win-win situation. Only thing is I run 18" wheels in the summer and the smallest size I see is 285/35ZR18 on the NT555R tires. I ran 265/35/18 on the MPSS and would get a bit of rubbing but mainly because my car sat so low and would rub when driving over low spots in the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #36
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I gave up on the "summer tires" a couple years ago when traction was a problem, even with all the emissions equipment. The Michelin PSS's were pretty good but not sticky enough.
Thanks!

I wanted to get an idea of the type of performance one could achieve with "normal" street tires, but indeed traction is problematic.

I've just bumped my tune from a theoretical ~360hp/680nm to an also theoretical ~380hp/750nm according to the tuner (DPF delete + Wagner IC). Didn't do any before/after benches, and I don't know any local drag strips (or even some flat and "gripy" roads) to try some 1/4 mile times, so I have no idea of how much I really have under the hood. However, the performance increase is clearly noticeable (and it was already a lot better than my DTUK at +2 previously), and my traction control is frequently going crazy with brand new Michelin PS2 RFT tires in the back, even in straight lines.

The thing is, I do between 30,000 and 40,000 km/year, so tire longevity is a factor for me. And the weather is hot all year in Barcelona, so I don't feel the need to switch to winter tires.

Maybe I should start saving for an LSD?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #37
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
The thing is, I do between 30,000 and 40,000 km/year, so tire longevity is a factor for me. And the weather is hot all year in Barcelona, so I don't feel the need to switch to winter tires.

Maybe I should start saving for an LSD?
That's a lot of miles. I'd sure not do what I'm doing then...

I installed a Quaife LSD last winter. I notice it more (but no data to quantify this) when applying power out of a corner than on a straight line acceleration (I do have data to quantify this). For a straight line the electronic LSD did a good job of managing the torque and actually gave nearly identical 60' launch times to what I've been able to achieve with the Quaife. But I'm also at higher torque/pwr levels than pre Quaife and it's more difficult to control the launch without breaking traction (I purposely had over 1/2 a tank of fuel for the back-to-back 11.8 runs to help add weight over the rear wheels to help with traction...and also kept the traction control on to help), so the LSD is likely helping a little.
      11-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
SimonO
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is this a forum members old car?
Advertised with 391 BHP and meth.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...oupe?logcode=p
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #39
Roby_Croatia
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E81 2010 116d

just a question... what is max power that is safe for gerbox?

with downpipe, high flow exhaust, intercooler and "remap ecu"....

cca 350hp an more important cca 750nm is possible?

because my last car e81 116d, i have downpipe + highflow exhaust, but i did not buy bigger intercooler, but anyway with 170hp and 433nm, the smallest bmw was pull very nice in each gear, so im definitely the "diesel" fan

But I have a flow pipe
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #40
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
6HP26 is rated for 700nm
      11-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers314 View Post
6HP26 is rated for 700nm
Wasn't the 6HP26 rated for 600 Nm? Think the 335d (at least in the North American market) got the 6HP26TU which later became the 6HP28 and was rated to 700 Nm, along with quicker shift times and improved fuel efficiency capability.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...HP%202nd%20Gen
      11-05-2014, 04:09 AM   #42
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For a straight line the electronic LSD did a good job of managing the torque and actually gave nearly identical 60' launch times to what I've been able to achieve with the Quaife.
Hmmmm... That's in line with what I've been reading regarding LSDs then. Meaning that they are a sensible investment for track use but not so much needed for road use.

My 335d will never see a track day (I have something else for that), for me it's only an autobahn monster. So I'll save the €€€ for something else then.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Regarding gearboxes, TDIwyse is right. The 6HP26 is rated at 600nm but the 6HP26TU and 6HP28 (LCI cars) are rated at 700nm.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #43
D5TMW
Private
Rep

mine has 800+nm and I drive it daily. The gearbox copes very well
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
RaceCRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335d

Quote:
Let's get some more 11 second diesels into the mix. You'll need something around 500 hp type of capability to achieve this with the weight of the car.

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

So what is the list of mods you have done to achieive this?
Appreciate 0