E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW X Models dominate Off Road Magazine "Off-Roader of the Year" polls

02-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW X Models dominate Off Road Magazine "Off-Roader of the Year" polls

BMW's sport utility and crossover vehicles had a most impressive showing in the Off-Roader of the Year awards.
  • The BMW X5 was voted "Off-Roader of the Year" in the “Luxury SUV” category.
  • The BMW X1 and BMW X6 came first and second in the "Crossover" category.
  • The BMW X3 took second place in the “SUV” category.
  • The BMW ActiveHybrid X6 took the Eco Award for its innovative powertrain.

Quote:
03.02.2010 | Press Release

Munich. With their typical fun-to-drive qualities, superior all-wheel-drive technology and powerfully expressive styling, the BMW X models occupy a position all their own in their respective classes. The unique attractions of this concept, now successfully established in four different market segments, received further confirmation recently with an excellent showing in the latest readers’ poll by the German magazine Off Road. The BMW X5 was voted “Off-Roader of the Year” in the “Luxury SUV” category, while the BMW X1 and BMW X6 came first and second in the “Crossover” category and the BMW X3 took second place in the “SUV” category.

Topping off this strong result was a special award for the newest arrival in the BMW X family – with its launch countdown already under way, the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 took the Eco Award for its innovative powertrain. This first full-hybrid model from the BMW brand uses its highly intelligent combination of internal combustion engine and electric drive to maximise both performance and efficiency. These latest successes in the Off Road readers’ poll seamlessly continued BMW’s strong performance of the previous years. The “Off-Roader of the Year” awards, which are decided by the votes of an exceptionally knowledgeable readership, were first presented in 1982. This year readers chose from a field of 97 models in eight categories.

The BMW X5’s first place in the “Luxury SUV” category is a further indication that the Sports Activity Vehicle concept – a segment first pioneered by BMW in 1999 with the predecessor of the current model – is still a firm favourite. The combination of sporty on-road handling and surefooted off-road traction was a hit right from the start. With its intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel drive, powerful and efficient engines and an interior which is both flexible and luxuriously equipped, the current BMW X 5 is doing even more to set the standards in its class.

In the “Crossover” category, first and second places both went to BMW. After some internal jockeying, last year’s winner, the BMW X6, was beaten into second place by its brand sibling the X1, which was launched on the market just five months ago. The X1’s concept – which extends the hallmark fun-to-drive qualities of a BMX X model to the premium compact segment – was instantly voted into the number one spot by Off Road’s readers. The BMW X1 impresses with its sporty handling, versatile interior and unrivalled efficiency for a vehicle in this category. The most fuel-efficient X1 is the BMW X1 sDrive18d, which achieves average fuel consumption of 5.2 litres/100 km in the EU test cycle. The X1’s outstanding safety standards also earned it the highest Euro NCAP crash test rating of 5 stars. In spring 2010, two new engines will be added to the range with the arrival of the new BMW X1 sDrive18i entry-level model and the six-cylinder BMW X1 xDrive25i. The X1 line-up will then comprise three petrol and three diesel engines.

Meanwhile, the appeal of the BMW X6 remains as strong as ever. The world’s first Sports Activity Coupé delivers typical BMW driving pleasure in a unique form. Agility, responsive steering, directional stability and traction have been taken to a new level – in part thanks to Dynamic Performance Control, a technology that made its debut in this model. While the electronically controlled BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive system splits the drive in a seamlessly variable ratio between the front and rear wheels to suit the current driving situation, DPC performs the same function between the rear wheels. The BMW X6 combines its outstanding dynamics with impressive efficiency, which will be further boosted by a revised engine line-up scheduled for spring 2010. The BMW X6 xDrive30d will then set new benchmarks, with an output of 180 kW/245 hp from its six-cylinder in-line diesel engine and improved average fuel consumption of 7.4 litres/100 kilometres in the EU test cycle.

The original pioneer in its segment, the BMW X3 too impresses with still unsurpassed agile handling and surefooted traction on unsurfaced terrain. Its enduring popularity has played a major role in introducing new target groups to the benefits of the xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system. Second place for the BMW X3 in the “SUV” category reflects the high popularity the BMW X3 continues to enjoy in its – now substantially expanded – segment. This model, which has raked in numerous awards for its outstanding reliability and safety, now comes in a choice of three petrol and four diesel versions, with power ratings ranging from 105 kW/143 hp to 210 kW/286 hp. The entry-level BMW X3 xDrive18d boasts exemplary fuel efficiency, with average EU fuel consumption of 6.2 litres/100 km.

Name:  P90055877.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  96.8 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

So good...
      02-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
i remember the early days, thinking the X3 looked like a crashed X5.... boy, havent we come a long way? BMWFTW
      02-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

And the new X3 is on the way!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
pdxlager
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi, X3, 135i

sorry, I own an X3, want an X5 (or X1) and am a huge fan of BMW, but this Off Road thing is just pure marketing BS. There are so many categories (each seemingly the same) that each manufacturer gets to tout 'wins' in the "reader poll".

For example, can you tell me which manufacturer and model is the best off road luxury SUV? Is it the Audi Q5? ("readers of OFF ROAD magazine have selected the Audi Q5 as the off-road vehicle of the year in the SUV category.")

Maybe the Mercedes G-Class? (won the “Luxury off-roader” category)

Or maybe it was the X5 after all (wins “Off-Roader of the Year” in the Luxury SUV category).

Does anyone else see how pointless this entire thing is, other than for generating press releases?

http://germancarscene.com/2010/02/03...e-year-awards/

http://germancarscene.com/2010/02/03...ward-for-2010/

Last edited by pdxlager; 02-03-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Bimmerboy888
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Talk about a family full of WINNERS!
      02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Yeah I think it is pointless.

Funny how short the X1 is/looks by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlager View Post
sorry, I own an X3, want an X5 (or X1) and am a huge fan of BMW, but this Off Road thing is just pure marketing BS. There are so many categories (each seemingly the same) that each manufacturer gets to tout 'wins' in the "reader poll".

For example, can you tell me which manufacturer and model is the best off road luxury SUV? Is it the Audi Q5? ("readers of OFF ROAD magazine have selected the Audi Q5 as the off-road vehicle of the year in the SUV category.")

Maybe the Mercedes G-Class? (won the “Luxury off-roader” category)

Or maybe it was the X5 after all (wins “Off-Roader of the Year” in the Luxury SUV category).

Does anyone else see how pointless this entire thing is, other than for generating press releases?

http://germancarscene.com/2010/02/03...e-year-awards/

http://germancarscene.com/2010/02/03...ward-for-2010/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
Nater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Briskly

I love the BMW X Series and will admit that with proper tires they will do alright off road. But they pale in comparison to true off roaders such as Wranglers, any Land Rover, Hummers, G-Wagens, etc. And until they design a suspension with articulation and lockers they will continue to pale off road, however on road is another story
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I have it from a very good source that the new Cayenne will blow the competition away. It will be interesting if this is true or just being close to the project has clouded his judgement to be a little bias.

Personally I doubt that to be the case and believe the Cayenne will indeed be this good.
Appreciate 0