E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 2008 BMW Takes off from an airstrip ...

01-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #23
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
very sad
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #24
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaM3 View Post
Driver is from my forum on M5/M6. He was 18 and just got the car--not quite broken in yet... we are all mourning his loss. Looks like he was driving pretty fast with 4 of his buddies, all less than 20 years. We all talk about horsepower and acceleration but we always have to remember that, if not used carefully, speed kills. I see this kind of trauma and regrettably tragedy everyday. Guys, be safe and even if you think you are a racecar driver, use your head, ALWAYS!!!
From what has been said on M5 boards and in the papers.. He took his DAD's car out for a joyride packed a bunch of his friends into the car after drinking at a party with 4 kegs. And someone posted his driving record and its not very good and he shows a lot of disrespect for the law.

I know this sounds sick but darwin works and I am just glad that it was him and his 3 other friends not the 4 of them and a family. I have no sympathy for people who drink and drive since I have almost been hit twice by people drinking and driving and I have a family member who was hit by a drunk driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #25
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
This was taken from a Fla newspaper. Reports about Josh posting on BimmerForum before the crash.

The 18-year-old behind the wheel of a BMW that crashed this weekend, killing five Florida teens was reportedly online hours earlier seeking advice on a BMW chat room on problems he was having with the transmission when he hit 140 mph in the $80,000 car.

Authorities say Joshua Ammirato, 18, of Fairfield, Fla., snuck his his father's gray 2008 BMW M-5 onto the main runway, with four friends onboard. Police say after racing down the strip, the car flew off an approximately 85-foot-high embankment at the end of the runway. They say the car was going so fast it went airborne for about 200 feet before slamming into a tree.

The car was split in two upon impact, according to the Florida Highway Patrol, ejecting three passengers and partially ejecting the other two.

All five victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

Ammirato likely "braked and turned," said the patrol's Lt. Mike Burroughs, after he either "saw a hazard coming or realized that he was nearing the end of the runway," flipping the car sideways before sending it over the edge.

Officials told ABC News they found no alcohol on the scene and couldn't confirm reports in the media that the group had been drinking in celebration of one of the victims' 19th birthday the night of the crash.

But less than six hours before the accident, a user who called himself "AmericanM5" logged on to a BMW M-5 online forum asking for advice on how to make the 500-horsepower car go faster.

Florida newspaper the Star Banner identified the user as 18-year-old Ammirato.

"The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," AmericanM5 wrote in one post, adding, "Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high-performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me."

Others on the online forum doubted AmericanM5's claims of owning such a high-powered BMW at such a young age and warned him to take it slow.

A member logged in as "M5Froth" wrote, "Its [sic] just disturbing to know, if you're for real, that an 18 year old who is asking these questions about a 500hp car is driving the same street I am. I don't have anything against young guys driving nice cars, but an 18 year old behind the wheel of an M5 is what accidents are made of IMO."

In his last entry on the forum, posted at 12:33 a.m. Saturday, AmericanM5 wrote, "I completley [sic] understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible.. that is definetly [sic] understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others.. and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will."

Last edited by Jay_328; 01-28-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #26
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

That's really sad. Power in the wrong hands kills.
      01-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
How many times is this going to be posted?

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110035
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #28
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008

I have seen 4 dif treats
      01-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #29
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

[rant]
I don't see why people post.. "My condolences to the family.." "It's so sad" "Sorry for your loss"..

90% of the people that say anything related to those, don't actually mean it. Society has made it a trend where people feel the need to say such things.
Like asking "How have you been??" or "How are you??" when talking to someone.
People don't actually care, they are just being 'polite' by mindlessly repeating what society tells them they should. What do they expect?? A simple, "Fine thank you" in return, so that they feel good about themselves.

If my kid dies, the last thing I want to hear from someone is "my condolences go out to the family", "I'm so sorry", etc..
You are basically mocking the person by saying that when you know you don't give a shit. You didn't even know the person, so how can you actually care or say that.

In the video the cop say "This is a horrible tragedy" with a straight, insincere face, because it is what he is told to do. People issue statements saying something a long those lines every day about someones loss.. WHY say it when your words are worthless??
I guess this all started back in WWI where a parent would get an American flag with a letter stating how sorry some General is for their loss, when the paper itself was typed up by a secretary.

I think this is bullshit and people need to just keep their mouths shut if they didn't actually know the person.

I could really care less about it, and don't see it as a terrible incident. Why?? because I wasn't acquainted with the person. Sure, it sucks for the kids who died, and their parents.. Leave it at that. You don't weep for every stranger that dies on a daily basis, so stop following the trend and acting like you care.
[/rant]

-Nathan
      01-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #30
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
[rant]
I don't see why people post.. "My condolences to the family.." "It's so sad" "Sorry for your loss"..

90% of the people that say anything related to those, don't actually mean it. Society has made it a trend where people feel the need to say such things.
People don't actually care, they are just being 'polite' by mindlessly repeating what society tells them they should. What do they expect?? A simple, "Fine thank you" in return, so that they feel good about themselves.

If my kid dies, the last thing I want to hear from someone is "my condolences go out to the family", "I'm so sorry", etc..
You are basically mocking the person by saying that when you know you don't give a shit. You didn't even know the person, so how can you actually care or say that.

In the video the cop say "This is a horrible tragedy" with a straight, insincere face, because it is what he is told to do. People issue statements saying something a long those lines every day about someones loss.. WHY say it when your words are worthless??
I guess this all started back in WWI where a parent would get an American flag with a letter stating how sorry some General is for their loss, when the paper itself was typed up by a secretary.

I think this is bullshit and people need to just keep their mouths shut if they didn't actually know the person.

I could really care less about it, and don't see it as a terrible incident. Why?? because I wasn't acquainted with the person. Sure, it sucks for the kids who died, and their parents.. Leave it at that. You don't weep for every stranger that dies on a daily basis, so stop following the trend and acting like you care.
[/rant]

-Nathan
You are just callous. This is a sad happening.

It would seem this kid took his parent's car, and with his inexperience in driving, and with recklessness disregard for safety he took his life and the lives of others.

I have in-laws who are in their late teens and early twenties who if they had the chance would likely do the same. How much of this is due to the video game generation? It is only in recent years that so much of this happens. It is sad. Very sad. It is a commentary on what has become of modern America.

This is also sad for the parents of this kid and the parents of the others who died with him. It is sad for the parents that they did not secure that car better. It is sad just imaging how it would be if it were in my family. It is sad that people can have a cavalier attitude about such a preventable tragedy.

There are several families that will be deeply affected by this for many years. Yes, it is sad on so many levels.
      01-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
superantojao
joe moral
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 i 2007 e92 red s/p

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post

It would seem this kid took his parent's car, and with his inexperience in driving, and with recklessness disregard for safety he took his life and the lives of others.

I have in-laws who are in their late teens and early twenties who if they had the chance would likely do the same. How much of this is due to the video game generation? It is only in recent years that so much of this happens. It is sad. Very sad. It is a commentary on what has become of modern America.

This is also sad for the parents of this kid and the parents of the others who died with him. It is sad for the parents that they did not secure that car better. It is sad just imaging how it would be if it were in my family. It is sad that people can have a cavalier attitude about such a preventable tragedy.

There are several families that will be deeply affected by this for many years. Yes, it is sad on so many levels.
Agreed,very well put! may they RIP
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #32
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep

So well written.
      01-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #33
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:

Yeah that never happened in the 60's and 70's during the muscle car era. It is the same old things happening. We are just more "mediatized" andbecome less sensitive about things due to an information overload. Same goes for violent crimes.

As for the original story of this thread My thoughts are with the families of thoses kids that had all their lives ahead of themselves. Tragic.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #34
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
[rant]

[/rant]

-Nathan
I don't know you and you can take this as you wish, but that's bullshit. You have no idea how an individual feels or reacts to a death in their family. But I will tell you that it helps to know that some people still have the decency to extend their condolences. Sure it may seem trivial because it is the thing to say/ do but it is also part of being a respectful human being. We may all agree that the driver and his passengers were careless and the accident could have been avoided however they have family and friends who loved them. And for that reason my thoughts and prayers are with those who grieve for them.
      01-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #35
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

RIP
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

I'm far from callous, I just see the world for what it is.

I'm sure the other kids in the car knew what they were doing, and were egging him on to go faster. He also never claimed to be inexperienced, he claimed not knowing how to shift that well with a stick. (I don't know how to drive stick) There are tons of people in this world that are great drivers, and make careless mistakes. The amount of time you are driving isn't that big of a factor on how well of a driver you are either. I'm sure at the age of 12 I was a better driver than a bunch of people that are in high school. It annoys me how people think age makes a difference in a persons judgment, or experience level. Age isn't a factor, its the amount of things you have experienced up until a certain point. You could have someone that is 40 years old and has never had someone tell them they turn too sharp, or brake too late.. regardless of their age, they are a terrible driver. People have greater skills in different areas, and some take longer than others to learn different skills, and sometimes never pick up on them.

Perhaps it was dark out and he couldn't see that far ahead?? Thats called a careless mistake, that anyone could make no matter how talented you are. Speeding down a road in the woods and having a dear hit your car, another careless mistake. You may be the best driver in the world, but lived in a city all of your life and never experienced or seen a deer running across a road, so you had no idea what to look out for.

I don't think that he is a reckless individual, because of the fact that he drove to an airstrip to test out the car. He could have taken it on the highway, or some other public place. I'm sure everyone on here has opened their vehicle up on a public road somewhere, raced someone, or something a long those lines.. Doesn't that make you more reckless than him??

Don't try to pin all of society's problems on our generation, when the older generation is to blame. I've heard tons of parents tell story's about kids their age racing and dying, kids attempting stupid stuff. It was in fact the older generation that invented the muscle car, and depicted them as fun to drive because they are fast.

Video Games are also not to blame, if anything playing video games would have given him more experience, and movies would be to blame.

Yes, it's sad for the family that has been affected by this. But for you to be sad or act like you are sad is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_328 View Post
I don't know you and you can take this as you wish, but that's bullshit. You have no idea how an individual feels or reacts to a death in their family. But I will tell you that it helps to know that some people still have the decency to extend their condolences. Sure it may seem trivial because it is the thing to say/ do but it is also part of being a respectful human being. We may all agree that the driver and his passengers were careless and the accident could have been avoided however they have family and friends who loved them. And for that reason my thoughts and prayers are with those who grieve for them.
The fact that all people say is "My condolences to the family" and etc., shows that people have no decency. You can say that all you want, but they are only words without actions. Now if you went up to the person, shook their hand, hugged them, showed some type of sympathy towards them, or ACTUALLY had a conversation with them instead of saying a rehearsed line.. that is different.
The fact is most people just say the words, because it 'IS THE THING TO SAY' is ridiculous. You can actually be respectful instead of faking it, but that would never happen because we live in a fake world.

Like I said, if I have some stranger come up to me, put on a fake face and say how sorry they are, I'm going to kindly tell them to fuck off.

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 01-29-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #37
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

just to update this thread, the M5 did belong to Josh. His father had it registered in his name, possibly for insurance purposes, but the car belonged to him
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #38
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

=[[[..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #39
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
For the passengers, maybe. For the driver? No. Poor decision making by all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #40
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I can see where Nathan's getting at. A lot of people on these boards say nothing more than "I'm sorry" or "My apologies go out to the family", when in reality I'm sure that it's not always the truth. I mean, of course, we all feel sorry to some extent...I hope...but I don't think that many people who are posting two word phrases are really meaning much.

I'm not 100% behind Nathan's notions, but I do see what he's talking about. I think some of it's true.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #41
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
For the passengers, maybe. For the driver? No. Poor decision making by all involved.
So I assume a death sentence is ok when you or your love ones make their next mistake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgunner View Post
Note to self... When you see Nathan laying on the side of the road after a horrible accident hoping someone will stop and help... Roll down the window and say "How are you?" and when Nathan says "I need help!"... Laugh and say sorry man, I really don't give a fu*k, was just asking how you were to be politically correct, then drive off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I can see where Nathan's getting at. A lot of people on these boards say nothing more than "I'm sorry" or "My apologies go out to the family", when in reality I'm sure that it's not always the truth. I mean, of course, we all feel sorry to some extent...I hope...but I don't think that many people who are posting two word phrases are really meaning much.

I'm not 100% behind Nathan's notions, but I do see what he's talking about. I think some of it's true.
IMO, he's way off base. Perhaps he is surrounded by fake people and his sense of community is warped. That's a sad thought in itself.
      01-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #42
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
just to update this thread, the M5 did belong to Josh. His father had it registered in his name, possibly for insurance purposes, but the car belonged to him
Obviously a well thought out decision. If the car is isn't in his name, it isn't his. No one here is stupid enough to believe an 18 year old walks into the dealership and walks out with a new m5 without his parents.

I feel bad for people who have high performance cars and teenage kids. The insurance companies will now have a field day I am sure raising rates to protect themselves. Best to just exclude junior from the policy and get him his own on his own scion or civic. But then he won't be the cool kid at school will he? I'm keeping my kids in a cage until they are 18 and then releasing them into the wild, somewhere in Alaska.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #43
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep

http://www.healthscout.com/template....p=68&id=603900
      01-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #44
anbuotaku
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Black Sapphire

Hey guys I'm only 18 ( 19 in a few months ) and I dd in a z4 E85 ( provided by my loving parents of course.. ) lol, to be entirely honest the only thing that has kept me from the -thrill- of achieving max speed or even speeding on my vehicle was all the initial d anime's and manga's I've read lawl..

Seriously though, I've known people who brag about their top speeds and how fast they have gone on a deserted highway etc etc, but if they had only been influenced by initial D or something these people would be happy with a civic or integra and would know the difference between rice/tuning and know how futile top speed/going really fast on the freeway is. ofc, this won't stop the kids from getting a rwd car and attempt to drift ( possibly off a cliff ) but at least they will probably be trying this on some mountain path or deter people from pulling stupid stunts like going 150mph with 4 buddies in the car or racing around on the highway.
Appreciate 0