E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Watches

01-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #155
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
^interesting

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #156
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

what about the Renatos?

it was actually a Renato that my buddy had on that made me want the Invicta Bolt.

it was big and nice <-- spoken like a true watch n00b
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #157
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

it's called a Renato T-Rex - has a carbon fiber strap or something.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #158
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
^interesting
brietlingsource.com forums you will find plenty of AD's ship.

I bought my Avenger Skyland from bernard watch. Not an AD but a highly reputable online new/preowned seller

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #159
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
^ nice....im looking for the Super Avenger with either a grey or black face

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #160
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
My latest edition:

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande GMT
Attached Images

01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #161
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
what about the Renatos?

it was actually a Renato that my buddy had on that made me want the Invicta Bolt.

it was big and nice <-- spoken like a true watch n00b
There's nothing "wrong" with big and nice. Companies make them for a reason. Everyone has a different taste, as yours at the moment is "big and nice".

You're talking to a bunch of guys who like classy/classic and its a very different feel and look.

Don't be discouraged because that is what we like. It isn't a reflection on you, just a personal preference.

But, if we have our way, we will turn you to the classy/classic side of things if you're not paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #162
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
My latest edition:

Yesssss!!!! Another Reverso wearer on the forum!!!
Congrats on the beautiful piece
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #163
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
There's nothing "wrong" with big and nice. Companies make them for a reason. Everyone has a different taste, as yours at the moment is "big and nice".

You're talking to a bunch of guys who like classy/classic and its a very different feel and look.

Don't be discouraged because that is what we like. It isn't a reflection on you, just a personal preference.

But, if we have our way, we will turn you to the classy/classic side of things if you're not paying attention.
yeah, i guess you're right.

i'm looking at watches online just to get used to the different styles and some of the watches are uglier than shit mixed with aids.....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #164
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
yeah, i guess you're right.

i'm looking at watches online just to get used to the different styles and some of the watches are uglier than shit mixed with aids.....
A lot of watches don't photograph well, and others definitely photograph better then others. I find a lot of the companies don't spend much money trying to get great pictures of their watches for their sites, which is unfortunate.

I can think of 2 prime examples of companies on the opposite end of each other as far as websites go. Rolex dumps a ton of money into their site to make their watches look appealing, where Jaeger LeCoultre also put a fair amount into their site and apps, but fall way short with the pictures of their product. Their pictures are tiny and mostly straight at the watch with very few other pictures of the units. Very unfortunate because the watches are great in person. (One of my favourite brands actually)

And some watches, no matter what angle the picture is taken on, will break records for how poorly they sell as they just make no sense. But in some cases, these become future collectors watches because they sold so poorly . the Omega Seamaster Ploprof comes Tom mind for me. But again, some people love this watch. I think it is neat, but damn it's ugly
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #165
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

Just got this one, my first nicer watch. Small Hublot, only 42.5 mm which works much better for me, and definitely not too blingy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #166
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I saw my first Royal Oak in person yesterday. It was an older rose gold "jumbobo" 39mm simple date model. VERY VERY nice, with the clear back showing the automatic movement.
Royal Oak Offshore, Hublot Big Bang, Patek Nautilus, Jaeger Grande Reverso Duo, all are in the running for my next watch.

I just can't decide!!!! There's SO many!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #167
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
I certainly want a rolex, but the ones I'm looking at all range into the $8k - $14k brand new. Even at $5k, let's say I find one, I feel the value to "oh shit I spent too much on a watch" ratio is too great in my mind's eye. I'm liking the Sinn U1 though, very classy and seemingly well built and high quality.
A somewhat less mainstream suggestion: I've really been feeling my Marathon GSAR lately. It looks great either with the metal bracelet or a NATO strap (although the latter can't really be pulled off with a dress shirt) and even with the bracelet can be had for under $1K new. ETA automatic movement, and I defy you to break one. It is chunky though so you have to like the look.

If you like chronographs, there's also the CSAR...

But to the people who suggested an Omega Speedmaster that's one that I'd love to have someday, just that money could more easily buy me a motorcycle Also something like a vintage Heuer Carrera, or if you think you could rock it a Monaco would be cool, but vintage brings its own challenges...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #168
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
*if the watch speaks to you, then it may be the one for you no matter what others say*

And remember, if you love it, nothing else matters
Two very good points. I really do think the non-chronograph Seamaster "speaks to me", so it will probably be the one I initially go after. I like your suggestion of the Tag Monaco too, for its vintage looks, and it's also kind of cool that Steve McQueen wore one. I'm now thinking of the small collection I'd like to build, which would probably consist of:

Omega Seamaster
Tag Heuer Monaco
Sinn U2
Omega Speedmaster Professional or Tag Heuer Carrera

It will take some time and money to build such a collection, but that's part of the fun.
      01-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #169
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I saw my first Royal Oak in person yesterday. It was an older rose gold "jumbobo" 39mm simple date model. VERY VERY nice, with the clear back showing the automatic movement.
Royal Oak Offshore, Hublot Big Bang, Patek Nautilus, Jaeger Grande Reverso Duo, all are in the running for my next watch.

I just can't decide!!!! There's SO many!
Lol, you're in trouble

Of those listed, I'd personally go jlc grande reverso duo, Patel nautilus (if money wasn't a concern depending on model) and royal oak jumbo. I personally think the offshore a have been over worked, but still very nice. I just like the subtlety of the jumbo when compared.

I had my hands on a used jumbo with the desire able jlc movement in it, but I just couldn't pull the trigger, the $$$ was on the very limit of what I was willing to spend, and someone had swooped in and picked it up while I was humming and haing. I still have that money in my pocket and am ok with that. Maybe another will cross my path some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Two very good points. I really do think the non-chronograph Seamaster "speaks to me", so it will probably be the one I initially go after. I like your suggestion of the Tag Monaco too, for its vintage looks, and it's also kind of cool that Steve McQueen wore one. I'm now thinking of the small collection I'd like to build, which would probably consist of:

Omega Seamaster
Tag Heuer Monaco
Sinn U2
Omega Speedmaster Professional or Tag Heuer Carrera

It will take some time and money to build such a collection, but that's part of the fun.
I like my tag Monaco, it's a fun watch to wear, just make sure you like it on you're wrist. A blue watch on the wrist is neat in the store, but requires a bit more confidence in the real world to wear.

Don't get too into collecting if you can help it. Just think cars and depreciation, money you will not get back. But at least you can get some back in the end, and occasionally (very very rarely) make money on the watch.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #170
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

if it's worn you'll never turn a profit on a watch, but it's nice to know that in time, it costs others a lot more to buy the same thing
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #171
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I REALLY like the Grande Reverso Duo that you got (The 1) it is the model I'd get I think.
The rose gold jumbo RO was very nice, price was OK at 15 grand, and the rose gold was more subtle than yellow gold, but I'm more of a steel watch guy. If I get a gold watch it's probably going to be the large 37mm Calatrava, gold to me means "dress", and I Rarely dress up.

Dream collection, hmmm,
Various Rolex Subs,
Omega Speedmaster pre-moon
JLC Grande Reverso
Hublot Big Bang
Royal Oak Jumbo or Offshore
Patek Nautilus
Patek Calatrava
JLC Master Compressor Navy Seals GMT Chrono
IWC Portugese
Panerai (not sure what model, they all kind of look the same to me-not so hot on P any more)
When I'm a millionaire it would be cool to have a tourbillon of some sort.
There's also some cool skeleton watches that look like they'd be fun, Tourby, and some German hand made ones-very cool.

The wish list is endless. There are just so many bitchin watches I'd love to own. They're like cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #172
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I REALLY like the Grande Reverso Duo that you got (The 1) it is the model I'd get I think.
The rose gold jumbo RO was very nice, price was OK at 15 grand, and the rose gold was more subtle than yellow gold, but I'm more of a steel watch guy. If I get a gold watch it's probably going to be the large 37mm Calatrava, gold to me means "dress", and I Rarely dress up.

Dream collection, hmmm,
Various Rolex Subs,
Omega Speedmaster pre-moon
JLC Grande Reverso
Hublot Big Bang
Royal Oak Jumbo or Offshore
Patek Nautilus
Patek Calatrava
JLC Master Compressor Navy Seals GMT Chrono
IWC Portugese
Panerai (not sure what model, they all kind of look the same to me-not so hot on P any more)
When I'm a millionaire it would be cool to have a tourbillon of some sort.
There's also some cool skeleton watches that look like they'd be fun, Tourby, and some German hand made ones-very cool.

The wish list is endless. There are just so many bitchin watches I'd love to own. They're like cars.
Thanks, I love it. Needs more wrist time... Been wearing the Nomos a lot lately (might be because I was in a different time zone for a bit and wore my rouge reverso a lot over Christmas). Would definitely recommend any JLC at this point, I have 3 JLC watches and one more watch with a JLC movement, and they all make me very happy.

By looking at your list I can definitely tell you've been researching watches endlessly for a while now Would be awesome to have a pre-moon speed master! I would handle it like it was made of gold and be always scared of it Seems you're liking the Gerald Genta designs a bit
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #173
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
My latest edition:

my dream watch.. im currently saving up for that very JLC

wear it in good health!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #174
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

Btw has anyone seen pricing on the Ball for BMW watches? Or do amy of you guys have one yet? Our local dealer carries Ball but is reluctant to bring one in since it requires buying the line (about 35k) being that it is an exclusive from them. Can't really find much info on line about actual pricing. If its reasonable, I would like to get it more as a daily wearer and keep the Hublot for nicer functions. If its around 4, I'll just look at a lower priced PAM or Bell&Ross
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #175
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdadkel View Post
Btw has anyone seen pricing on the Ball for BMW watches? Or do amy of you guys have one yet? Our local dealer carries Ball but is reluctant to bring one in since it requires buying the line (about 35k) being that it is an exclusive from them. Can't really find much info on line about actual pricing. If its reasonable, I would like to get it more as a daily wearer and keep the Hublot for nicer functions. If its around 4, I'll just look at a lower priced PAM or Bell&Ross
Pretty sure retail is from around $4k to $6k. Honestly, they do nothing for me.

If you're looking for a daily wearer PM me, i have something for sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #176
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Another thought for OP... do you think you could pull off an inexpensive yet technically interesting and seldom-seen watch? One of mine that I actually wear occasionally is a Vostok Amphibia, I think I paid something like $35 for it (really!) and it's just a really elegant piece of Soviet design and engineering, although it also has that Soviet-era kitsch thing going on as well. The bracelets are garbage, they make Seiko bracelets seem quality, but I think it looks great on a rubber "waffle" strap. Obviously NOT dressy! Might not be for you.

Along the same lines, I find the Strela "Sturmanskie" chronographs really attractive and are available for less than $1K.

My dress watch is a 50's era stainless steel Longines which I picked up off eBay in a watch buying frenzy a few years ago for under $100. Surprisingly it was in excellent condition and I wore it near daily for 3-4 years until the stem broke; sadly, it took three tries at repair after that until it ran reliably again. Not sure how a busted stem could cause that, or if it was a botched CLA that caused the subsequent problems.

Finally, a Seiko (yes really) 009 diver's watch or something is very affordable and quasi-vintage cool. I wore mine nearly daily for years until I managed to break it somehow. Seiko bracelets are almost as bad as Vostoks though, I settled on a green NATO strap for that one and it was a great casual look and I didn't have to care about the watch because watch and strap together were about $150 or so.

yes, I'm kind of a watch geek, but one on a budget, because honestly, if it tells you the time and you can read it, that's all you really "need" right? (that brings me back to the Marathons, the tritium tubes are awesome at night... the lume on a Vostok is abysmal!)
Appreciate 0