E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whale Watchers TV show

01-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #45
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I don't really watch this show. Have probably seen somewhere between 1-3 episodes worth. I think it's boring as hell to watch. I'd really like to see some whalers fight back and destroy these guys. I don't care either way about whales/whalers. But if someone were to mess with my livelihood in international waters, I'd end the problem. I'm just surprised these activists are still alive after so many seasons.

If your livelyhood threatened to make an species extinct, I'd expect you to find another one.

This isn't about some salty old fishermen doing what they've always done. It's corporate greed, and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
The problem is not with the Japanese per se. Anyone who knows dick all about this topic would know it begins with the IWC. The International Whaling Commission. http://www.iwcoffice.org/ They set up their laws which protect only the larger species of whales. They limit killings on smaller whales for "medical research" but have no regulation on dolphins which are a smaller species of whale. The Japanese kill every whale possible within the legal bounds (which are setting the bar too high and slowly depleting populations) and then slaughter the fuck out of dolphins. Dolphins have all but disappeared in regions of japan and continue to be slaughtered daily. I am not a bleeding heart activist or a tree hugger. In fact I love to hunt and fish. A largely overlooked issue is what is happening with this dolphin meat. Dolphin meat contains levels of mercury roughly at 800x the legal limit. I forget the measurement unit but the legal level is 0.4 and dolphins have registered as 2000. They are killing the dolphins and packaging the meat as much more expensive and less toxic whale meat. In addition the dolphin fisheries in Japan have bought off entire towns to look the other way. Meanwhile they are providing the school system (until they were caught and the program was discontinued) with free lunches...guess what kind of meat. It all goes back to the top. Japan pays many nations to vote for their proposed laws in the IWC and until the IWC updates it's regs properly there will be massive issues. I'm not saying abolish whaling, but better moderation and monitoring needs to be made a priority for the IWC.
I don't think anyone can really defend the practice of whaling or of killing dolphins; clearly, that is something that most of us can agree on. What really gets me is that the methods that these eco-terrorists take to try and get their self-righteous point across. They are risking the lives of themselves and of everyone else out on the water.

I saw this comment below one of the articles and thought it summed it up pretty well: These so-called protectors of the earth need to stop burning oil and polluting the arctic on their extended vacations from their adult responsibilities and reality.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #47
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
If your livelyhood threatened to make an species extinct, I'd expect you to find another one.

This isn't about some salty old fishermen doing what they've always done. It's corporate greed, and nothing more.
I don't watch the show, so I may be wrong, but aren't the Japanese within legal rights when whaling? Shouldn't these activist be trying to change the system rather than the grunt workers doing the actual fishing? I'm 100% certain the fisherman hauling up that whale isn't responsible for his company policies; he's just trying to feed his family.

Edit: someone in an earlier post mentioned how the Japanese were only hunting smaller species of whale, which are not protected by IWC. Can you seriously blame the fisherman on the whaling boat?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #48
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
I don't think anyone can really defend the practice of whaling or of killing dolphins; clearly, that is something that most of us can agree on. What really gets me is that the methods that these eco-terrorists take to try and get their self-righteous point across. They are risking the lives of themselves and of everyone else out on the water.

I saw this comment below one of the articles and thought it summed it up pretty well: These so-called protectors of the earth need to stop burning oil and polluting the arctic on their extended vacations from their adult responsibilities and reality.
you know... that comment made me think... I wonder how much fuel/resources these whale protectors use up every season.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #49
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
I don't watch the show, so I may be wrong, but aren't the Japanese within legal rights when whaling? Shouldn't these activist be trying to change the system rather than the grunt workers doing the actual fishing? I'm 100% certain the fisherman hauling up that whale isn't responsible for his company policies; he's just trying to feed his family.

Edit: someone in an earlier post mentioned how the Japanese were only hunting smaller species of whale, which are not protected by IWC. Can you seriously blame the fisherman on the whaling boat?

That was me. They are hunting the smaller whales to extinction. The regs haven't been appropriately updated since first enacted in 1986 in Geneva. System needs a total overhaul. The grunts aren't doing anything wrong, however the bigwigs are with what actually happens with the meat. Also, the info from the 'studies' and 'research' are never published...if you're going to do this the least you can do is actually do the research you are using as your front and publish it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #50
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Right. They're basically exploiting a loophole that allowed some whales to be killed in order to perform research on them. The numbers weren't specified, so they just kill as many as they can get and claim it's all for research, then sell the parts.

I don't blame the people working on the boat, but the Captain of this fleet is most certainly to be blamed. Since you haven't seen this, you may not realize the size of the operation we're talking about. This isn't just a few men out there with a speargun. There is a fleet of ships, with several harpoon vessels, and a factory ship so the whales can be processed at sea. They're taking dozens of animals at a time out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #51
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had to bring this thread back to life after watching the latest episode where the Adi Gil was sunk. I sat with big smiles the whole time

And those ecoterrists are such pussies. They are totally built up in the show as being soldiers, and are "willing to die", etc....then it's boo-hoo, we almost died
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #52
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
I had to bring this thread back to life after watching the latest episode where the Adi Gil was sunk. I sat with big smiles the whole time

And those ecoterrists are such pussies. They are totally built up in the show as being soldiers, and are "willing to die", etc....then it's boo-hoo, we almost died
Really?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #53
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Personally I'd like to see them armed with anti-ship missles, and put an end to the whole mess. I'd be willing to bet sinking that mothership and drowning everyone on it would put an end to the whaling industry for good. They're all just a bunch of worthless mammels, right? So it shouldn't be a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #54
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Personally I'd like to see them armed with anti-ship missles, and put an end to the whole mess. I'd be willing to bet sinking that mothership and drowning everyone on it would put an end to the whaling industry for good. They're all just a bunch of worthless mammels, right? So it shouldn't be a big deal.
Actually, my comment has nothing to do with my opinion on whaling. The ecoterrorists are the ones who are out there messing with the whaling ships, basically attacking those who have no desire to be in a fight. They keep up their aggressive actions because they have confidence that the whaling ship wont fight back. It kinda reminds me of a group of thugs picking on some fat kid...and it's always fun when the fat kid finally knocks one punk out cold.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #55
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, my comment has nothing to do with my opinion on whaling. The ecoterrorists are the ones who are out there messing with the whaling ships, basically attacking those who have no desire to be in a fight. They keep up their aggressive actions because they have confidence that the whaling ship wont fight back. It kinda reminds me of a group of thugs picking on some fat kid...and it's always fun when the fat kid finally knocks one punk out cold.

It's more like a picking on a fat kid who's killing all the pets in the neighborhood and claiming it's for science, but don't let that get in the way of you bashing people who are actually trying to do something to protect a group of animals that's in danger of being wiped out.

If the whaling ships don't want a fight, they should stayin the fucking ports and stop violating the international bans on whaling for no other reason than profit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #56
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
It's more like a picking on a fat kid who's killing all the pets in the neighborhood and claiming it's for science, but don't let that get in the way of you bashing people who are actually trying to do something to protect a group of animals that's in danger of being wiped out.

If the whaling ships don't want a fight, they should stayin the fucking ports and stop violating the international bans on whaling for no other reason than profit.

I watch the show, mostly to laugh at the inept Sea Shepherds. And, the whalers have taken up aggressive tactics of their own, making one of their usual harpoon ships a security ship. It was funny listening to Paul Watson whine about that.

I just don't believe that the Sea Shepherds are really "in it to win it." They make poor tactical choices, employ ineffective techniques and their ships are just too slow. They really come across to me as far more "Show" than "Go!".

Well, the Ady Gil wasn't too slow, but clearly too fragile. What idiot puts a carbon fiber boat anywhere near the front of a steel hull ship? I haven't watched the latest episode, but I believe the Ady Gil was successful in using the prop fouler on the factory ship, so you know the harpoon ships were pissed....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #57
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I watch this from time to time just form the pure entertainment factor of the idiots on the Sea Shepard, wondering how long before they kill themselves.

Recently it seems to have got interesting, whether they Japanese purposely ram the boat of theirs or not, it appear the Japanese have made it hard for them to board their ships and they are now shooting at zodiac with air guns, shooting holes in the rubber, the zodiacs will not sink, but they can not speed along side the ship either.

Looks like the Japanese have made their effects worthless.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #58
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
I've watched Whale Wars for both seasons and I'm addicted. I don't support whaling and I actually root for these guys. I don't believe one second that the Japanese are down there for research purposes only so I don't mind those guys throwing a monkey wrench into the Japanese operations.
I have to agree with this poster. What animal research organization needs to impost quotas on the quantity of specimens they kill each year? And isn't it odd that every single whale obtained for research must be harpooned and killed? None are captured and released, and there's certainly no reason to undergo a culling as was done with elephants in certain game reserves...

I might have more understanding for the Japanese whalers if they weren't such absolute liars and charlatans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Ghost151
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 64i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I have to agree with this poster. What animal research organization needs to impost quotas on the quantity of specimens they kill each year? And isn't it odd that every single whale obtained for research must be harpooned and killed? None are captured and released, and there's certainly no reason to undergo a culling as was done with elephants in certain game reserves...

I might have more understanding for the Japanese whalers if they weren't such absolute liars and charlatans.
They are doing it purely for the meat plain and simple. One of the rules under existing whaling laws regarding "scientific research" is that the meat of a whale taken for "scientific research" can be sold for commercial profit. That is the reason they do not have a catch and release program.