E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Dynavin N6 product sounds encouraging

07-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #375
nathantx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I didn't even think of running wires back to the HiFi amp...I thought it would connect with the harness, lol. Do the underseat subs and front tweeters connect with the harness plug? This is going to be a long install for me trying to figure out what goes where...maybe someone will post an install guide?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #376
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

No, no, it's all plug and play, it sounds like you are thinking its much harder than it is....you don't need to run anything to the stock amp. The only "extra" connection is the constant power wire as I noted on the last page.

I did post an install guild, it's on the first page of this thread. It will be turned into a PDF and posted on our website soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #377
nathantx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Awesome!

I've never connected a constant wire into a fuse box...does the wire from the unit have a connector on the end that slides into one of the fuse terminals and stays in? Or do I need to buy something to hook it in?

Also, what is the boot time from when you press the engine on button to when the radio is playing?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #378
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

So if your running a base stereo the head unit amplifies the speakers? Because I am not sure how it is a preamp signal to the Hifi amp. Just trying to understand.....

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Nope, we covered this earlier in this thread. The stock amp takes a 5 volt signal....which is speaker level output, the dynavin reaches that at at 80% of its volume range. So it's a pretty good match. The older generation of bmws had an amp that required a lower level signal, so those dynavins have an output level "switch" that reduces the output to better match the oem amp.

Dynavin (and I) have been selling an E9X unit for about 4 years....and this new N6 is the 5th generation of E9X (7th overall). So issues like output level were sorted out A LONG time ago.

Last edited by Scottycs; 07-23-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #379
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
So if your running a base stereo the head unit amplifies the speakers?
Correct. The amps in these cars take a speaker level input (non L7 of course), not a low level input. So amp or no amp, it will work either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #380
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
So if your running a base stereo the head unit amplifies the speakers? Because I am not sure how it is a preamp signal to the Hifi amp. Just trying to understand.....

Thanks
The Dynavin was built with several configurations in mind, depending on what you wanted to do.

If:
a) Base Audio: Plug into harness and Dynavin amplifies speakers.
b) HiFi and otherwise staying stock: Plug into harness and Dynavin sends signal to HiFi amp, and then signal goes to speakers
c) HiFi or Base and going to aftermarket amp: Option to either use speaker level out, or RCA outputs direct to aftermarket amp, then to speakers.

That a bit clearer?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #381
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

I was looking at this wiring diagram...

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #382
Brandon08_328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Mine will be here today

But I won't have time to install til next week
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #383
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at this wiring diagram...
Either I'm not sure what you're asking, or you never read the thread from the beginning till here.

The Dynavin unit was designed as an OEM style replacement. So you'd just plug in direct to the OEM harness. No need for a Metra Harness, etc.

It does, however, retain the ability to connect via RCA direct to a processor/amp combo that's aftermarket if you so chose. I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #384
jeffb335
Rep

Good news....just got the N6 in yesterday and today I got a software update with a US version option.... Just testing right now but when the final version is ready ill email it to you guys who purchased.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #385
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
That there is a beautiful site
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #386
jeffb335
Rep

Yeah, I thought you would like that......
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #387
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

When I started this thread I had no idea this would turn out so well.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #388
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
When I started this thread I had no idea this would turn out so well.
That's right - you're the one to blame for me spending even more $$ on my car

I'll let me wife know
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #389
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
That's right - you're the one to blame for me spending even more $$ on my car

I'll let me wife know
+1 lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #390
jeffb335
Rep

I keep adding to my posts at the beginning of this thread...It seems some people are skipping it so I suggest you look it over if you haven't yet.....http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993447

But here's the latest:

Here is a picture of the main wiring harness and its connections on the E9X model, in this pic you can see the MOST interface at the bottom, it plugs in into the wire harness, the RCA outputs from the head unit, and once in the car, into the MOST fiber optic cable (only if your car has the MOST system). At the top of the pic you see the canbus interface box, it just plugs into the dynavins main harness, done. To the right you see the main plug that plugs into the oem radio plug. And next to it you see the yellow constant power wire.

EDIT:

An important point about wiring for you DIYers out there.....

IF you end up running the constant power wire back to the battery you MUST install a fuse at the battery end of the wire. Installers know this, we fuse EVERYTHING right at the battery, in the case of a short circuit all that happens is you pop a fuse, without the fuse in place you could have a fire on your hands. I realized the wire harness does not have one already and if you dont work in car audio or electronics you may not realize you have to put a fuse on everything.

So before you install, stop by your local auto parts store and grab an inline fuse holder, some 10 or 15 amp fuses, and some butt splices (or solder or whatever you have on hand, NO twist & TAPE!!!!).

we need to install of these.....

Like this:

Now its safe to connect to the battery.

If you connect at the fuse box you can use a "fuse tap" (get this from your local auto parts store as well) and since you are connecting in the fuse box it will typically already be fused so you dont need to worry about doing a fuse on the wire.

Im going to talk to dynavin about adding one to the harness in the future to save you guys the trouble....or maybe shortening the wire so it can only be used in the fuse box.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-24-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #391
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Nice & neat, no nonsense wiring harness

Question:

Does the N6 HU remove from the faceplate - taking the large buttons on either side of the screen with it?

Only reason I ask is I may want to wrap the faceplate of the unit with CF Dinoc to match rest of my interior CF accents...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #392
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Nice & neat, no nonsense wiring harness

Question:

Does the N6 HU remove from the faceplate - taking the large buttons on either side of the screen with it?

Only reason I ask is I may want to wrap the faceplate of the unit with CF Dinoc to match rest of my interior CF accents...
You are not going to get me to recommend that publicly...void your warranty blah blah blah.... (email me)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #393
Trainwreckor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Good news....just got the N6 in yesterday and today I got a software update with a US version option.... Just testing right now but when the final version is ready ill email it to you guys who purchased.
Looks great, Jeff!

Will updates also be available on Dynavin's website? And where is the SD card slot? Is it behind the MMC button?

Also, are there any pictures of the included GPS antenna and external mic?

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #394
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Nope, we covered this earlier in this thread. The stock amp takes a 5 volt signal....which is speaker level output, the dynavin reaches that at at 80% of its volume range. So it's a pretty good match. The older generation of bmws had an amp that required a lower level signal, so those dynavins have an output level "switch" that reduces the output to better match the oem amp.
So, what would be that "older generation" in terms of production dates?

I have a 2011 E90 with HiFi sound system (analog amp in the trunk). If I plug in a BMW Professional headunit into it configured for "Base Stereo" mode, it will be immediately noticeable that the amp is overloaded by that unit: the gong volume will be ultra-loud and the ordinary audio volume will ramp-up much more quickly (and in coarser steps) when the volume knob is turned. This is obviously an indication that the amp expects lower level output that what "Base Stereo" headunit is producing.

Does that mean that 2011 E90 is an "older generation BMW"?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #395
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post

I have a 2011 E90 with HiFi sound system (analog amp in the trunk). If I plug in a BMW Professional headunit into it configured for "Base Stereo" mode, it will be immediately noticeable that the amp is overloaded by that unit: the gong volume will be ultra-loud and the ordinary audio volume will ramp-up much more quickly (and in coarser steps) when the volume knob is turned. This is obviously an indication that the amp expects lower level output that what "Base Stereo" headunit is producing.

By "older generation" he meant prior to the E90's

Your problem with plugging in a "base stereo" headunit into your E90 with HiFi is because the "base stereo" headunit automatically processes sound and boosting the EQ on both ends. The HiFi headunit outputs a flat unprocessed sound.

When we start with a "base stereo", it's for that reason we need a processor like a JL Cleansweep to flatten that EQ curve.

Regardless, none of that makes a difference as in your specific case, you'll simply plug a Dynavin into the OEM harness and play. It's output would be akin to your HiFi, because they both send out a low level balanced signal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #396
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post

No, older gen means E46.

Yes you can code your car either way but its not particularly relevant to how the N6 works since its basically somewhere in between.

Yes the volume would ramp up quicker in a car with an oem amp than no amp at all, but not unreasonably so....as I said earlier, 80% volume on the dynavin corresponds to the max input of the amp before clipping.....thats pretty standard and pretty much the "rule of thumb" in aftermarket car audio.

The warning gongs, PDC sounds, nav voice, and all other sounds are all adjustable so they will not be too loud.

I dont mean to come off like a jerk and Im not directing this at you directly but instead at those reading this thread in the future... ive addressed questions like this multiple times now in this thread, probably hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS of aftermarket stereos have been installed in E90s, in every configuration imaginable....we are not re-inventing the wheel here.

The dynavin does a good job at looking and acting fairly stock, but at its core its a standard aftermarket head unit, and aftermarket head units have been installed in E90s for 8 years now.....its 100% understood by those of us who work in the business.

As I mentioned before the dynavin e46 units have a selectable output to accommodate that car's lower amp input level. This has proven to be unnecessary in the E9X so it does not have this feature. As I just posted earlier today....this is the 5th generation of dynavin for the E9X so we have more than a little experience in this.....you point is technically right, yes the dynavins output level is higher than the stock unit, but in my real world experience this has been and issue zero times in the almost 4 years that the various E9X units have been out.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-23-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0