E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Arkym lip problems - help please! (pics)

07-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #23
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaa93 View Post
I'm thinking just use Sikaflex (seriously strong silicone), what do you think?

Don't think I have a heat gun lying around either, can a hair-dryer do the same?
Just make sure its reversible so if you remove the lip you done want the silicone to no be able to come off. And yes hair dryer will work, just takes a little longer
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #24
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
if you set the adhesive/tape properly and let it stand with support for an hour or so in sun especially, you should be good. Betalink is not reversible so I'd stay away from that.

I'd like to see an underneath pic of where you guys are drilling self tapping screws in the middle?
      07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92
if you set the adhesive/tape properly and let it stand with support for an hour or so in sun especially, you should be good. Betalink is not reversible so I'd stay away from that.

I'd like to see an underneath pic of where you guys are drilling self tapping screws in the middle?
+1
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

I've had mine on for over 2yrs through snow with just tape and screws on the bottom and no problem. I would suggest cleaning it properly with alcohol wipes and then clamping it overnight. That should help the 3m tape hold!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #27
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Well based on the amount of 3M tape you used I'm not surprized.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #28
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post

This - anyone able to post pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
I've had mine on for over 2yrs through snow with just tape and screws on the bottom and no problem. I would suggest cleaning it properly with alcohol wipes and then clamping it overnight. That should help the 3m tape hold!
My car was as clean as a whistle - no joke it was the day after I gave it a proper wash down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Well based on the amount of 3M tape you used I'm not surprized.
It actually runs from one side of the bumper all the way to the other! There's actually heaps.
      07-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #29
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
My CPS lip did the same thing, the tape wouldn't hold for more than a few days.

I dropped half of it on the freeway one day so I ended up drilling some pilot holes and using some self tapping screws (6 or 7 of them) to hold the lip further up into the under tray.

That worked like a champ, no more sag and it's super solid now, plus unlike betalink it's totally reversible.
Can you post pics from below if possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
ok....my experience.....SCREW THE TAPE!!! It'll never hold!!! I took my front bumper off and put the screw in the OEM holes. Then I strategically used self tapping screws along with nuts and bolts....there is no sagging, no wiggle room, NOTHING!!!

I did this about my first one ripped off while driving...I was just driving and it just came off...so this time I wasn't taking any chances. Your lip can be held up with about 5 screws if you put them in the right spot... All together I think I have about 12 in total...over kill maybe...but that front lip is never coming off

and my fitment on mine is 99%
Pics of screws from below?
Gonna go with this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub3 View Post
So this is the cps not Arkym right? From what I've seen is best to ditch the 3m tape. Best to just use self taping screws and drill the lip onto the bumper!
Yea seems like it, it's happened to pretty much everyone on here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAL47 View Post
Had the same issues. Now I'm using the Oem mounting points as well as 4 additional holes in the front and middle with screws, nuts and 1" washers. I get to the nuts by pushing in the front mesh grill. Doesn't move any more and I can remove it whenever necessary.
Sounds like the best idea chief, gonna have to spend some time on tomorrow night or this weekend.
      07-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Your best bet is epoxy or betalink. I had the akrym on my F10 and had to use epoxy.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #31
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Your best bet is epoxy or betalink. I had the akrym on my F10 and had to use epoxy.
What about removing it?
That's my only concern.
      07-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #32
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
WHat brand is the lip? Where is it from?

I don't think it is authentic Arkym. The authentic one never had that issue.
      07-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #33
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

prep is everything, I had the authentic arkym for about two years and never had any issue. like what most of the guys said...clean the area, heat and let it cure. only thing I did differently is I let it sit in the sun for a good portion of the day. I also used painters tape to support the weight of the front lip, forcing the nose tip up to the lip of the bumper.
      07-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #34
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post

It's not - but it's exactly the same as the Arkym.
Look through the thread - others have had the same problem.
It's Zeig btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
prep is everything, I had the authentic arkym for about two years and never had any issue. like what most of the guys said...clean the area, heat and let it cure. only thing I did differently is I let it sit in the sun for a good portion of the day. I also used painters tape to support the weight of the front lip, forcing the nose tip up to the lip of the bumper.
I put the screws on and then put the front end on with the tape, and had blocks of timber beneath to hold it tight with a microfibre cloth in between so it didn't scratch.
      07-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #35
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Can you post pics from below if possible?
Sorry, car's too low to get a camera under there but I photoshopped what I did.

RED dots are the factory locations, GREEN dots are where I drilled small pilot holes through the lip, then used smaller self tapping screws with washers to sink into the actual bumper material / under tray.

Also make sure the factory screws have really big washers on them it helps a lot.

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #36
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
Sorry, car's too low to get a camera under there but I photoshopped what I did.

RED dots are the factory locations, GREEN dots are where I drilled small pilot holes through the lip, then used smaller self tapping screws with washers to sink into the actual bumper material / under tray.

Also make sure the factory screws have really big washers on them it helps a lot.

Awesome! Thanks heaps man!

Gonna do this tomorrow!
      07-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #37
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I documented my solution here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=Lip

Been holding over a year now perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #38
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
I dont think it makes a difference..I had the authentic arkym put on by bmw techs while they got my HPFP replaced, and they even used some sort of black adhesive glue (?betalink) had my car for a full 24hrs..picked up the following day, went down the motorway around 120mph, started flapping faintly..stopped by side of road (it was night time) used some nylon strings to pass through the front mesh and tied them back to the front bumper and another 50kms after, the lip was destroyed..$800 down the middle..bmw wont cover cost as it was an aftermarket part and havent bought a replacement since..this was nearly 2 years ago.. the additional self tapping screws with large washer advice may help or the front lip struts may be a better option..
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #39
meezo
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Did you end up solving this problem? The same thing happened to me, I'm reading all these forums and trying to come up with some sort of solution I can use for my lip as well.
      08-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #40
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meezo View Post
Did you end up solving this problem? The same thing happened to me, I'm reading all these forums and trying to come up with some sort of solution I can use for my lip as well.
Well if you read through this thread you'll find many different ways of fixing it - but at the moment all I have done is remove the lip, removed the 3M tape which no longer has any stickiness to it and it's ready to go for round 2.

I'll have a proper crack at fixing it this weekend - I'm not in much of a rush though, weather around here is pretty shit at the moment (winter) so my car's nice, clean and snug in the garage where no one can see it.
      08-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #41
meezo
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
Well if you read through this thread you'll find many different ways of fixing it - but at the moment all I have done is remove the lip, removed the 3M tape which no longer has any stickiness to it and it's ready to go for round 2.

I'll have a proper crack at fixing it this weekend - I'm not in much of a rush though, weather around here is pretty shit at the moment (winter) so my car's nice, clean and snug in the garage where no one can see it.
Thanks pal! Already have. Was just wondering what you did. I will probably use the sikaflex option (I have a lot of it lying around too) along with self-tapping screws. May be a little overkill but I don't want that lip coming off at all.