E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Z2 Roadster Under Consideration, on FWD Platform

Closed Thread

01-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #133
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
This whole FWD thing they're doing is so dumb..BMW is losing it.

"Apart from its stylistic effect, the Hofmeister kink is said by BMW to suggest that all BMW models have rear-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive biased to the rear)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofmeister_kink
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #134
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

[u2b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=dZTTn2gq67I[/u2b]

What else to say ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #135
sc_dan2002
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4

The only FWD roadster I want......

The only FWD roadster I want is one that the F stands for Four.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #136
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_dan2002 View Post
The only FWD roadster I want is one that the F stands for Four.
well C&D seems to think a Z2M will come out and have AWD, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Z2 offered with xdrive options later on too.

Z2M at 2500 lbs, 320HP, AWD, would be fun as hell to drive. If only they would come out with a coupe version!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #137
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
How many FWD Z2 will sell? Not many, just like MINI Coup/Roadster. I saw only one on the road since it was released. I see more MINI Clubmans/CrossCountries.
It will sell very well I'm sure. Most people don't give a crap about FWD vs RWD. they just want a nice car....you're delusional if you think lack of RWD will affect sales man!!!!!

the Mini Coupe didn't sell because it looked like a broken dildo.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #138
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
It will sell very well I'm sure. Most people don't give a crap about FWD vs RWD. they just want a nice car....you're delusional if you think lack of RWD will affect sales man!!!!!

1. Anything "bad and cheap" with a BMW badge will sell (i.e. BMW 2er Active Tourer).

2. Anything "good and expensive" with a BMW badge will not sell (i.e. BMW Z4 M Coupé).

3. What you say, "the lack of RWD will not affect sales", is correct. See point 1. The same goes for the Toyota GT86, the lack of turbocharger does not affect sales. Only the guys on the internet a crying for it, were it turbocharged, they anyway wouldn't buy it.

4. And that is were we come back to point 4. As it will not sell, costs will be high and the product will not be profitable. That is why the Z1/Z2/Z3/"what-ever-they-call-it" will still be RWD, being developed on the co-developed BMW-Toyota sports car platform.

From what I understand, you will anyway not like this car: RWD, 1200 kg, 2.0l I4, 300 PS.

Me I will. The "Z2" reminds me Alfa Romeo, many years of promises, but only wind. Hopefully this time it will be reality.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #139
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:

1. Anything "bad and cheap" with a BMW badge will sell (i.e. BMW 2er Active Tourer).

2. Anything "good and expensive" with a BMW badge will not sell (i.e. BMW Z4 M Coup).

3. What you say, "the lack of RWD will not affect sales", is correct. See point 1. The same goes for the Toyota GT86, the lack of turbocharger does not affect sales. Only the guys on the internet a crying for it, were it turbocharged, they anyway wouldn't buy it.

4. And that is were we come back to point 4. As it will not sell, costs will be high and the product will not be profitable. That is why the Z1/Z2/Z3/"what-ever-they-call-it" will still be RWD, being developed on the co-developed BMW-Toyota sports car platform.

From what I understand, you will anyway not like this car: RWD, 1200 kg, 2.0l I4, 300 PS.

Me I will. The "Z2" reminds me Alfa Romeo, many years of promises, but only wind. Hopefully this time it will be reality.

I like RWD and 1200kg. don't care for the measly 4 banger though.....

I doubt it will be RWD. It's more expensive for BMW to make a RWD 'cheap' roadster and frankly the mainstream consumer market just doesn't give a crap about RWD anymore.

the BRZ/FRS is great but has been a sales disappointment according to Toyota themselves...the only RWD cheap sports car that has been successful in recent times has been the Miata. the end.

Forget all these pseudo-Alfas anyway. Alfa needs to come back with an affordable RWD Spider for the modern times and in the US market! not that 4C but something more basic and cheaper. Here's hoping that Mazda collaboration leads to something good.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #140
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

IMHO a sports car is either RWD or AWD. FWD no bueno!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #141
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Find my answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

Active Tourer is not a cheap vehicle . But we have yet to show the second part of the puzzle of the Active Tourer which will happen very soon. Our first allocations of Active Tourer are almost sold.

2. Anything "good and expensive" with a BMW badge will not sell (i.e. BMW Z4 M Coupé).

There has to be demand. There is none for a Z4 M.

If the car is stylish and competent then it will sell no matter if it is FWD or RWD.
Customers looking for some excitement in that segment will certainly find the Z1 attractive.

The Z1 is based on the UKL architecture along with the Z2 Coupe.
The Z3 and Z4 Coupe will be based on the joint Toyota-BMW architecture and will be RWD.

05-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #142
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I like RWD and 1200kg. don't care for the measly 4 banger though.....

I doubt it will be RWD. It's more expensive for BMW to make a RWD 'cheap' roadster and frankly the mainstream consumer market just doesn't give a crap about RWD anymore.

the BRZ/FRS is great but has been a sales disappointment according to Toyota themselves...the only RWD cheap sports car that has been successful in recent times has been the Miata. the end.

Forget all these pseudo-Alfas anyway. Alfa needs to come back with an affordable RWD Spider for the modern times and in the US market! not that 4C but something more basic and cheaper. Here's hoping that Mazda collaboration leads to something good.
Yeah, it is coming end of 2015 to EU and US, with a 1.4l I4 Multi-Air, but it will have Abarth badge. The Mazda MX-5 will have about the same power but from a NA larger displacement I4.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread