E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Show off your woman's rock!

05-31-2006, 01:18 AM   #23
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Now you got me an idea. When I propose to a girl, Im going to get one of those and show 'em. I wonder what her reaction will be like.
Hahah! I actually proposed to my woman first with one of these, just for giggles:

She gave me the WTF look. I tried to make up for it by offering ketchup and telling her it's still hot and crispy.

EDIT: Late response, but nice rings, Foo & John!

@ Foo - nice inscription! Me and my woman share the phrase I coined, "eye heart u" - also good to hear you're still sporting your rock - that's the way it should be, dammit! Why take it off?!?
      05-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #24
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Good god she must have strong finger muscles! Does she where it like everyday or just when your folks go out to parties and what not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
My moms is 5...no joke its big
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #25
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
She gave me the WTF look. I tried to make up for it by offering ketchup and telling her it's still hot and crispy.
HAHHAHAHAHA omg thats some funny stuff man. I can totally imagine that situation..
"I got some 'rings' for you sweetheart".
did you really do it? was she pissed? man now that I heard your story, I really want to give it a try when I propose..

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
did you really do it? was she pissed? man now that I heard your story, I really want to give it a try when I propose..
Heheh, yup - I honestly did it. I grabbed a single onion ring from a restaurant (they asked WTF you need one for?) and then I wrapped it in aluminum foil. Took her to the La Jolla Shores cliffs next to the beach and read her this poem I wrote down. Then I got down on one knee, and pulled out the onion ring. I had a ring box I would've put it in but the onion ring was too big. I was thinking about using a Ring Pop instead of the onion ring but we've always joked about onion rings and she loves onions.

I suppose she wasn't pissed though because the real deal came afterwards (I actually had a 2nd gag ring - it was a fake cubic zirconia with poor construction that you could still see the glue holding the gems to the setting).
      05-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #27
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Electric Red

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm planning on setting these babies in platinum
      05-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
I recently got my woman's rock reset onto a Tiffany classic setting - she's going to be drooling all over the new setting! At the same time, my wallet is hurting pretty damn bad (along with my future E92).

Diamond specs:

Basic Info: 1.554 J/SI1 (AGSL report from 01/2006) with HCA of 1.2 (EX, EX, EX, VG)
Crown angle/%: 34.4/14.9%
Pavillion angle/%: 40.8/43.1%
Table %: 56.5%
Depth %: 61.1%
Girdle: thin to slightly thick, faceted, 1.2 - 4.0%
Culet: pointed
Dimensions: 7.43 x 7.51 x 4.56 mm
Fluorescence: None...unfortunately

I was also wondering - you married ladies (to the guys - your wives) still sport their engagement ring/rock? With a rock this pretty I don't see how my woman can put it down in place of a simple, dull wedding band!!!
Pretty ring. No offense, but it looks a little yellow to me. But with a J color rating you will notice that. Especially rated from AGSL (GIA has higher rating criteria). I'm guessing the diamond set you back 7.2 - 8.2k assuming it is ideal cut.

But I can't talk, my wife's ring is only .83 G SI1 ideal cut (GIA laser inscribed of course). I'll upgrade the ring on our 5 yr anniversay.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #29
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Yup, ideal cut - can you not tell with the specs I posted? - your price range is right on. The setting is an extra 1.2 g's!

No offense taken - I can see the yellow myself. My g/f can too but it's very subtle. You can actually only tell it's yellow only and only if you have a solid white background to scrutnize the diamond or if you have a higher color-graded diamond side-by-side. It's also hard to tell the yellowish hue if you're not using a white fluorescent light. The diamond is too fiery/scintillating/bright otherwise and you can't see the yellow especially since the diamond has been cut so well.

Personally, I'd rather go with a larger stone with a hint if yellow rather than a smaller stone that's more white. I'm not going to jump in the AGSL vs GIA - AGSL changed their standards recently to now grade cuts based off of light performance. GIA still has some very questionable standards in their protocol(s). Inscriptions are a waste - if you want the real deal, go for further tests like IdealScope, Sarin Reports, Helium Reports, GemEX diagnosis, H&A, and DiamX reports.

0.83 ct not bad, though - it's still a good sized stone for a woman - my fiance thinks the 1.55 is too big and now she's becoming quiet self-conscientious when going out and whatnot I think I'll just get it insured (through Jeweler's Mutual ) knowing she's pretty clumsy/absentminded.
      05-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #30
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

-mY wIFES MAIN STONE IS 1.53 AND THE SIDE STONES = ANOTHER 1.0...

The Ring is set in Platnium with 18k gold side slitts......
Attached Images

05-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #31
geeslice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2004 Audi TT  [0.00]
Mine was a 2.17 carat (EGL) Color: F, Clarity: VS2.

I gave it back. But it was the right thing to do.

'06 E90 325xi Sparkling Graphite, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Walnut Burl Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons = LOVE
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #32
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeslice
I gave it back. But it was the right thing to do.
Gave it back before or after marriage? That must really hurt for the guy (and for you, I suppose) if it was before!
      05-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #33
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
Yup, ideal cut - can you not tell with the specs I posted? - your price range is right on. The setting is an extra 1.2 g's!

No offense taken - I can see the yellow myself. My g/f can too but it's very subtle. You can actually only tell it's yellow only and only if you have a solid white background to scrutnize the diamond or if you have a higher color-graded diamond side-by-side. It's also hard to tell the yellowish hue if you're not using a white fluorescent light. The diamond is too fiery/scintillating/bright otherwise and you can't see the yellow especially since the diamond has been cut so well.

Personally, I'd rather go with a larger stone with a hint if yellow rather than a smaller stone that's more white. I'm not going to jump in the AGSL vs GIA - AGSL changed their standards recently to now grade cuts based off of light performance. GIA still has some very questionable standards in their protocol(s). Inscriptions are a waste - if you want the real deal, go for further tests like IdealScope, Sarin Reports, Helium Reports, GemEX diagnosis, H&A, and DiamX reports.

0.83 ct not bad, though - it's still a good sized stone for a woman - my fiance thinks the 1.55 is too big and now she's becoming quiet self-conscientious when going out and whatnot I think I'll just get it insured (through Jeweler's Mutual ) knowing she's pretty clumsy/absentminded.
Yes, I assumed it was ideal cut. I agree that SI1 is the way to go because it's near impossible to see the inclustions with a naked eye. I personally like a whiter diamond, but size is really nice too. Just a personal preference.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on GIA vs. AGSL. I would recommend Jewerler's Mutual. They are a great company, and it will be easier for you to sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #34
geeslice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2004 Audi TT  [0.00]
Quote:
Gave it back before or after marriage? That must really hurt for the guy (and for you, I suppose) if it was before!
Before. 6 months before the date. I mean I had to give it back but I spent 4 months picking it out the diamond and the setting/band so I was very attached to it.

'06 E90 325xi Sparkling Graphite, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Walnut Burl Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons = LOVE
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #35
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I need to make a correction to my earlier post. My wife's diamond is actually 0.75ct (D, VS2) with another 0.3ct (side stones, also D color, SI1), with white gold setting (we went back and forth over a platinum setting vs. white gold with extra diamonds).

I hadn't looked at that GIA report in over 7 years. I was originally looking at a 1ct stone that was lower quality (about G color and SI1-2 quality). At the time, after seeing so many stones I actually got good at picking out inclusions. In general, anything with SI has inclusions visible to the unaided eye. VS requries 10x magnification to see the inclusions.

The 1ct stone I originally looked at appraised for a lower price than the 0.75ct stone I ultimately purchased. My wife has now grown really attached to her ring and is actually very against me upgrading her ring. However, she is ok with buying "another" ring.

I'm thinking the next one should be about 1.5ct, vs1 or higher, D color (she really likes the totally clear stone), with a platinum setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #36
Squawks
United_States
Rep

It's a good thing then that today's typical person can't really pick out inclusions.

The diamond I posted above is imaged at 10X - can you see any inclusions? I have the AGSL report, so let's test your eyes!
      05-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Hehe....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #38
Squawks
United_States
Rep

05-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #39
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
That GWB with the "Ring to Rule them all" was HILARIOUS!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #40
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

1.5/1.6 is the perfect size for a petite woman imho. subtle, yet showy, but not too pretentious. Go for VVS1. No substitution for knowing that the sucker has no noticeable imperfections (under lens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
I need to make a correction to my earlier post. My wife's diamond is actually 0.75ct (D, VS2) with another 0.3ct (side stones, also D color, SI1), with white gold setting (we went back and forth over a platinum setting vs. white gold with extra diamonds).

I hadn't looked at that GIA report in over 7 years. I was originally looking at a 1ct stone that was lower quality (about G color and SI1-2 quality). At the time, after seeing so many stones I actually got good at picking out inclusions. In general, anything with SI has inclusions visible to the unaided eye. VS requries 10x magnification to see the inclusions.

The 1ct stone I originally looked at appraised for a lower price than the 0.75ct stone I ultimately purchased. My wife has now grown really attached to her ring and is actually very against me upgrading her ring. However, she is ok with buying "another" ring.

I'm thinking the next one should be about 1.5ct, vs1 or higher, D color (she really likes the totally clear stone), with a platinum setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #41
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

would it be at all fair for a guy to request an engagement motorcycle in return for a ring?

If I'm going to buy some multi thousand dollar ring, I want an italian motorbike in return

how about a monster sr2 1000??? is that too much to ask?

I'm going to have to go find a girl with a good job!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #42
Squawks
United_States
Rep

The woman is sporting it:

05-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #43
westcoaster
Private
Rep
Drives: black on black325i

another trick is to never by a diamond set in gold. the gold hides if the diamond has a yellow tent to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #44
mava330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [6.00]
Congratulations Squawks!! I assume she said yes.

Oh man the memories of looking at all these rings. I'm divorced (:cough: twice) and have spent waaay too much money on rings, marriages, divorces and everything else in between.

I purchased my 2nd ex (had I known she would have been an ex-wife I wouldn't have bothered spending that $$ )a Verragio ring and matching wedding band... with a round solitaire GIA certed 1.20 ct F VS1 setting in platinum; wedding band had a total of 1.5ct and the total of the engagement was 1.95ct.

Have you given thought to your wedding band as well? In return I got a Christian Bauer wedding band set in platinum and mounted with diamonds as well. Here's the scan... the one on the top:

Congrats again man. You'll both cherish those rings; just remember what the ultimate meaning and symbolism of the ring stands for.
Attached Images

2005 S2000 Silverstone / Red/Black
Appreciate 0