E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Tom Blomqvist taking Hand's BMW M4 DTM seat for 2015

02-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Tom Blomqvist taking Hand's BMW M4 DTM seat for 2015

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
***Welcome to the BMW Motorsport family, welcome to the DTM: Tom Blomqvist! /// Willkommen in der #BMW Motorsport Famillie, willkommen in der DTM: Tom Blomqvist! ***

Tom Blomqvist races in the BMW M4 DTM in 2015.
The BMW Motorsport driver line-up for the coming DTM season is complete: Tom Blomqvist will race in the popular touring car series at the wheel of the eighth BMW M4 DTM in 2015.

( Feb 2, 2015 BMW Motorsport)

Reigning DTM champion Marco Wittmann, Maxime Martin, Augusto Farfus, Bruno Spengler, Martin Tomczyk, Timo Glock and António Félix da Costa had previously been confirmed as drivers at the traditional BMW Motorsport Season Review on 5th December.

Blomqvist was on track in the BMW M4 DTM for the first time at a test in Jerez de la Frontera at the start of December, where he and other debutants gained their first experience in a DTM racing car. The 21-year-old made an excellent impression, making a great case for the one vacant cockpit for the 2015 season.

“We are delighted to welcome another very promising youngster into our ranks, in the form of Tom Blomqvist,” said BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. “Tom was extremely impressive at the test in Jerez, and comes to us with a wealth of experience from Formula 3. I am confident he has everything he needs to find his feet quickly in the DTM. With his likeable personality he is definitely a great asset to our line-up. We have done well with our choice of rookies so far. We will support Tom to the best of our ability to be successful from the word go in 2015.”

“I cannot put into words just how delighted I am to have been signed up by BMW Motorsport,” said Blomqvist. “After the test in Spain, I was able to envisage just how it would feel to be a BMW works driver and regularly push myself to the limit in the BMW M4 DTM. Now I have the opportunity to do just that – and it’s just fantastic. I’m really proud to be a member of the BMW Motorsport family now. As well as the exciting sporting prospects, I was also immediately impressed by the great team spirit and the way I was made to feel so welcome at the test.”

As the son of Swedish rally legend Stig Blomqvist, who won the World Championship in 1984, Tom literally has motorsport in his genes. However, the youngster was not drawn to the rallying scene after initially gaining experience and enjoying success on the karting circuit, but to single-seater racing. He impressed in Formula Renault in 2009, before winning the title in the British Formula Renault championship one year later – at just 16, he became the youngest driver in the history of the series to win the title.

Outings in the German Formula 3 Cup and German Formula 3 Championship ultimately led Blomqvist to the Formula 3 Euro Series, In 2010 he made a guest start in the Formula BMW Pacific junior racing series in Macau, and promptly finished third at the wheel of the Formula BMW FB02.

Despite still being in the early stages of his career, Blomqvist has already come to learn the dark side of motorsport, suffering a broken lumbar vertebra in a race at the Lausitzring in 2011, which brought his season to a premature end. However, he returned stronger than ever from this injury, and set about working his way to the top of Formula 3. In the 2014 season he scored 420 points, winning six races and stepping on the podium 15 times. At the end of the season he finished runner-up overall.

Blomqvist was on track in the BMW M4 DTM for the first time at a test in Jerez de la Frontera at the start of December, where he and other debutants gained their first experience in a DTM racing car. The 21-year-old made an excellent impression, making a great case for the one vacant cockpit for the 2015 season.

Tom Blomqvist: Facts & Figures
Date of birth 30th November 1993
Place of birth Cambridge (GB)

Milestones
2014 2nd place FIA Formula 3 European Championship
2013 7th place FIA Formula 3 European Championship
2010 1st place Formula Renault UK

Audi's lineup is unchanged from 2014

Mercedes' lineup:
Art Grand Prix: Gary Paffett and Lucas Auer
Mücke Motorsport: Daniel Juncadella and Maximilian Götz
HWA: Christian Vietoris, Paul Di Resta, Pascal Wehrlein and Robert Wickens

*** All 2015 DTM seats are now filled ***

Last edited by 954Stealth; 02-03-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looking forward to this year's DTM season!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looking forward to this year's DTM season!
Me too!!!!

A strong squad for the 2015 DTM season.

With less than three months remaining until the start of the DTM season in Hockenheim, BMW Motorsport and the four teams have now completed their driver line-ups. Having announced the signing of Tom Blomqvist as the eighth driver at the start of the week, the drivers have now been assigned to the individual teams.

In keeping with the motto “never change a winning team”, last year’s championship winning team will field the same pair of drivers on the nine race weekends that make up the 2015 season: reigning DTM champion Marco Wittmann and Maxime Martin, who was “Rookie of the Year” in 2014, will once again compete for BMW Team RMG and team principal Stefan Reinhold.

Changes have been made behind the wheel in the remaining three teams. 2011 champion Martin Tomczyk will race for BMW Team Schnitzer in his 15th season in the DTM. His new team-mate at the successful outfit from Freilassing is António Félix da Costa, who made his debut in the DTM last year.

This year’s DTM rookie Blomqvist will contest his first season with BMW Team RBM. He will race alongside an experienced BMW works driver in Augusto Farfus, who has won four DTM races since 2012. After three years with BMW Team Schnitzer, 2012 DTM champion Bruno Spengler will now fly the flag for BMW Team MTEK. He joins new team-mate Timo Glock, who enters his third year with BMW Team MTEK.

“We go into the new season with a very strong driver/team line-up,” said BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. “This is the best line-up we could wish for. In total, our eight drivers have racked up 334 races and 31 victories in the DTM. We have a good mix of young and experienced drivers, who are all capable of making their mark on the series. At the end of every season we analyse whether and how we can make any minor changes to tease a little more out of the overall set-up. We remain true to our philosophy that we can only enjoy long-term success in the DTM with four teams of equal strength. We have had positive experiences with this approach in the past. We are confident that we have found the ideal line-up for the 2015 season, in which we will face a number of new challenges with the new format of the race weekends.”

BMW Team RMG team principal Reinhold is looking forward to another year with the successful pairing of Wittmann and Martin. “The expression ‘never change a winning team’ definitely applies in motorsport,” he said. “For this reason, I and all the mechanics and engineers in the team are very pleased to be lining up for the 2015 DTM season with the same drivers, with whom we enjoyed such great success last year. The atmosphere in the team is fantastic. The wins and titles have bonded us together and we have become a real unit. As such, we are all the more delighted to be able to continue with the same line-up. We learned a lot as a team in 2014 and won five races with Marco and Maxime. We worked hard to improve during the break from the DTM. We now want to put the improvements into practice on the track in the new season. Our work has been focussed on our main goal, which is to be successful again in 2015 – something we are well aware will be far from easy in the extremely competitive DTM.”

“We have a fascinating and very promising mix of drivers for 2015, with Martin’s experience and António’s youthful exuberance,” said team principal Charly Lamm, commenting on the new line-up at BMW Team Schnitzer. “We enjoyed great success with Bruno Spengler, especially winning the title on our DTM comeback in 2012. We will now be going all out to challenge at the front of the 2015 DTM field with the new driver line-up.”

Team principal Bart Mampaey of BMW Team RBM is also looking forward to the first race of the year: “Augusto Farfus has gained a lot of experience in the DTM over the past three years, and has shown that he is capable of winning races and putting himself in contention for the title. In Tom Blomqvist, we welcome on board a fast young driver, who has everything he needs to find his feet quickly in the DTM. I am very much looking forward to working with these two drivers in 2015.”

Ernest Knoors is confident that BMW Team MTEK will take another step forward in its third year in the DTM. “In Bruno and Timo we have two very good drivers in our ranks,” said the team principal. “As 2012 champion, and with his vast wealth of experience, Bruno is an institution in this series. And he also sets the bar extremely high when it comes to speed. Timo also knows how it feels to stand on the very top step of the podium, and is now very familiar with the DTM. I have great faith in both of them.”

The 2015 DTM season gets underway on 2nd May 2015 with the first of 18 races. For the first time since 2000, two races will be held each weekend this year.

( Feb 06 2015, BMW Motorsport )
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Blomqvist: “I’m ready for the challenge.”
An interview with Tom Blomqvist: The new kid on the block at BMW Motorsport will contest his debut season in the DTM with BMW Team RBM in 2015. This will see a dream come true for the 21-year-old.

02/09/15 BMW Motorsport

Ever since he first witnessed the DTM as a Formula 3 driver racing on the support programme, it has been his ambition to one day compete in the popular touring car series. He completed his first laps in the BMW M4 DTM at the test session in Jerez in December 2014. The son of former World Rally Champion, Stig Blomqvist, made an excellent impression and was announced as the eighth BMW DTM driver last week.

Tom, what does it mean to you being a BMW DTM driver?

Tom Blomqvist: “Firstly I would like to thank BMW for this opportunity. I’ve been working hard my whole career to get a professional drive so to finally achieve that means the world to me. I am really looking forward to being part of the BMW DTM family and to compete with BMW Team RBM. I’m ecstatic, but it is only the beginning and a lot of hard work still lies ahead of me.”

Do you think it will be difficult to get used to a race car with a roof?

Blomqvist: “No I don’t think so, as I proved at the test that I was able to adapt to the BMW M4 DTM relatively quickly. I know I have a lot to learn though, so I’m not getting carried away. There will certainly be a few things that I have to get used to like pit stops etc., but I’m ready for the challenge.”

What are your personal goals for the 2015 season?

Blomqvist: “I set myself high expectations, but at the same time I have to be realistic as there are a lot of experienced and quick drivers in the DTM. I’m a rookie and have a lot to learn but I want to help BMW to have another successful season. However I will take it how it comes. All I can do is give 100% and see what that brings.”
Appreciate 0