E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW to run eight cars in 2013 DTM season with addition of BMW Team MTEK

09-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW to run eight cars in 2013 DTM season with addition of BMW Team MTEK

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW to run eight cars in 2013 DTM season with addition of BMW Team MTEK
COMMENTS
Name:  bmw-m3-dtm1.jpg
Views: 9866
Size:  289.8 KB

BMW Motorsport to run eight cars in the DTM as of 2013 – BMW Team MTEK strengthens line-up.

Munich (DE), 19th September 2012. As the 2012 DTM season enters the finishing straight, BMW Motorsport is already on course for next year: As of 2013, four BMW teams will do battle for points and victories in the popular touring car series. Like BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG, newly-formed BMW Team MTEK will also run two BMW M3 DTMs.

By increasing its contingent to eight cars, BMW Motorsport is intensifying its commitment to the DTM and will now compete on a par with the other two manufacturers represented in the DTM. Dutchman Ernest Knoors will take the reigns as Team Principal of BMW Team MTEK, which is based in Garching (DE) near Munich (DE). Now that BMW Team MTEK has officially been given the starting signal, the build-up process can take place over the coming weeks and months.

“Our concept of running three teams on equal footing has proven to be ideal for our debut season,” said BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. “The very good results are confirming our decision to continue along the lines of equality across all the teams. Establishing the fourth team is another important step as we look to guarantee that BMW remains competitive over the coming years. Our competitors are already running eight cars this season. Greater strength across the board is definitely an advantage in a fiercely-competitive series like the DTM. The new BMW Team MTEK means we are able to bridge this gap. The location on the outskirts of Munich allows BMW Motorsport to cooperate effectively with Ernest Knoors’ team. We are confident the synergies and efficiency gained will take the overall level of our DTM project to a new level.”

"I’m really looking forward to my new task: to guide BMW Team MTEK to DTM success,” said Knoors, who most recently has been working with Ferrari as Head of customer powertrain support in Formula One. “Over the course of my career I have experienced most forms of motor racing, and I know the high level of operation in the DTM. BMW Motorsport is currently contesting a fantastic debut season. We are also set to have our share in giving the BMW fans reason to celebrate regularly in 2013. It’s obvious there will be a lot for us to learn as a new team. I’m convinced we will have a steep learning curve. The current 2012 season has given impressive proof of the general competitiveness of the BMW M3 DTM.”

This year’s teams – BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG – have so far produced a very successful comeback season for BMW, after 20 years away from the DTM. After eight of ten races, BMW has three wins, three pole positions, nine podiums and 247 points in the manufacturers’ standings to its name.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Eight cars certainly increases the odds. Best of luck to the BMW teams!
      09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

NICE
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Nice. So all manufactures now have 8 cars for '13? Hopefully we can get Bill Auberlen in the car if the M3 isn't racing in ALMS next year.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I'm a noob when it comes to racing. Can someone explain the class series of racing? I don't really understand what DTM or ALMS racing means, please don't tell me what acronym means because that's not what I am asking. I am asking the purpose of these classes are and where they fit in the "racing world".

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW's ALMS M3 GT car is a production based racecar, and designed for endurance racing. DTM is the pinnacle of touring car racing. The cars are shells a of a production car (kind of like Nascar) but the chassis are highly customized prototypes. Many of the drivers compare them an F1 car in the way it is developed. DTM is incredibly competitive, the entire field of 22 cars can qualify within 1.5 seconds of each other.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
DentalBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe

Another noob question.. Where can I find this on tv? I have checked cable listings and cant seem to find air schedule.... Thanks
E60 M5 Dinan stg3,hiflow throttle bodies,coldair,evosport rear diff,Eisenmann Race sold
E39 M5 UUC short shift,UUC Corsa and More Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

And as soon as the new M3/4 comes out with it's turbo I6, the connection from BMW's race cars to their street cars will be completely vanished.

That's got to be a first in BMW's history. How sad
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
BMW's ALMS M3 GT car is a production based racecar, and designed for endurance racing. DTM is the pinnacle of touring car racing. The cars are shells a of a production car (kind of like Nascar) but the chassis are highly customized prototypes. Many of the drivers compare them an F1 car in the way it is developed. DTM is incredibly competitive, the entire field of 22 cars can qualify within 1.5 seconds of each other.
thanks for this!

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

They look great! Kinda makes me think of angry birds looking at them :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
AudeGorge
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: ford fiesta

Yeah you absolutely Right as soon as the new M3/4 will come with turbo I6, the connection from BMW's race cars to their street cars will be out of the market.It will totally overcome the BMW's race cars.
      09-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
laishenlai
Registered
Rep
Drives: DF

Jakob Fuglsang is looking forward to the rumoured double climb of Alpe d'Huez in the 2013 Tour de France. The Dane expects to be captain for his new Team Astana in next year's race.

It was reported earlier this week that a stage of the 2013 Tour de France would start in Gap, Carbon bicycle frameclimb Alpe d'Huez, descent the Route du Col de Serenne (on still-to-be-asphalted roads), and then climb L'Alpe d'Huez for the finish.

"It will certainly be a spectacular and hard stage," Fuglsang told sporten.tv2.dk.

He has ridden the legendary Alpine climb during in the 2011 Tour, where he rode in support of Leopard-Trek captain Andy Schleck,who took the leader's yellow jersey on the stage. Fuglsang finished 33rd, 5.49 down.

“Last time we finished on Alpe d'Huez, Carbon MTB Wheels we went over the Galibier before, and I would almost say that the Galibier is at least as hard as Alpe d'Huez, but Alpe d'Huez may seem more daunting because of the history it has. Physically, it is certainly possible to climb it twice. "

The 2013 Tour de France route is to be presented the end of October, but Fuglsang already knows what his perfect course would be.

"I would like to have 'the real mountains' and then some time trial kilometres, Carbon Wheelsets which are not pancake-flat, but would have little hills and technical sections. I think that could be an advantage for me compared to some of the other riders such as Bradley Wiggins."

Fuglsang would not want too many mountaintop finishes, saying he finds it better when the finish line comes “after we've been over the mountains. This way you can deter the strongest climbers from attacking, and if they attack and get a gap, I think that I have a chance to make it up on the descent. Conversely, it could also be possible to gain some time on the descent, if you're in the break," he said.

Fuglsang does not see himself atop the Tour de France podium just yet. "It will probably be hard to follow Contador. You should never say never, and I have a year to improve myself., There is still a long time (in my career)."
Appreciate 0