E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW’s Ultimate Driving Experience

05-06-2023, 04:33 AM   #1
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

BMW’s Ultimate Driving Experience

Hi all,

I plan to attend. However, I have to drive long way to the venue.
Anybody who attended would like to share?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 04:57 AM   #2
Pakaderm
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Yes, I went in San Diego last weekend. I drove three vehicles: XM, I4 M50, and M3 Comp. No wait for the XM, but wait for the other two. I spent a little over an hour total.

They had a predefined route to drive including surface and freeway. I drove alone, taking about 15 min in each vehicle.

Very fun. Would do it again.
Appreciate 1
tom2021220.00
      05-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaderm View Post
Yes, I went in San Diego last weekend. I drove three vehicles: XM, I4 M50, and M3 Comp. No wait for the XM, but wait for the other two. I spent a little over an hour total.

They had a predefined route to drive including surface and freeway. I drove alone, taking about 15 min in each vehicle.

Very fun. Would do it again.
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the M Town Tour at the dealership and not the Ultimate Driving Experience. They are two different things.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2021 View Post
Hi all,

I plan to attend. However, I have to drive long way to the venue.
Anybody who attended would like to share?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure when you are scheduled to go, but I'm attending the local one on Friday and can report back.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
Not sure when you are scheduled to go, but I'm attending the local one on Friday and can report back.
I will attend the event at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in June.
I am a Canadian. I have to make sure they allow me to drive, before I go.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:48 PM   #6
dkulp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Garage List
2023 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
I'll be at Gillette on Friday as well. Since I have a four month old 330e already and I have no interest in an SUV (iX), I'm hoping for some decent time in the i4 M50.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
dkulp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Garage List
2023 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I just got back from Gillette Stadium. Basically, there are three things to do as part of the experience:

1) Road test - they have a very limited selection of vehicles where they pretty much hand you the keys and a map and say see you in 10 minutes. They had 3 i4 M50's and variety of different X SUV's. Since I have zero interest in an SUV, I didn't pay much attention to the models that were available. For the Boston event, you pretty much drive down Route 1 for about two miles, flip around on some back roads, then drive back. There are stop lights and traffic and such so not a lot of opportunity to go nuts. That said, every cop in the area knows there are a bunch of drivers test driving BMW's.....

2) XM experience - this is an "off road" (not really, it's paved with obstacles) coarse where you ride as a passenger as they drive over various rough patches, up/down an incline, etc... Very slow except for the last thing they do is try to show the XM's <4s 0-60 via a very fast acceleration then break. Again, SUV's are not my thing so didn't really care.

3) Autocross - There were three short tracks setup and you were put in a group for one of the tracks. You were give three two-lap runs. One run in a 330e and one run in an i4 M50. There was an instructor in the car with you. That said, with only two laps on a small course, not much instruction time. The third run you were randomly assigned a 330e or i40 (you could not choose) but you could choose to either drive or be a passenger while the instructor drove.

For the most part, it was fun, particularly since it was free. I was there for a little over two hours. If you wanted to test drive all the SUV models, you could definitely have spent more time there. I would have liked to have more of the non-SUV's to test drive. That and each run should have more than two laps. Barely get to feel the car before it's done.

Hope that summary helps someone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DanG10660.50
tom2021220.00
      05-14-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
I just got back from Gillette Stadium. Basically, there are three things to do as part of the experience:

1) Road test - they have a very limited selection of vehicles where they pretty much hand you the keys and a map and say see you in 10 minutes. They had 3 i4 M50's and variety of different X SUV's. Since I have zero interest in an SUV, I didn't pay much attention to the models that were available. For the Boston event, you pretty much drive down Route 1 for about two miles, flip around on some back roads, then drive back. There are stop lights and traffic and such so not a lot of opportunity to go nuts. That said, every cop in the area knows there are a bunch of drivers test driving BMW's.....

2) XM experience - this is an "off road" (not really, it's paved with obstacles) coarse where you ride as a passenger as they drive over various rough patches, up/down an incline, etc... Very slow except for the last thing they do is try to show the XM's <4s 0-60 via a very fast acceleration then break. Again, SUV's are not my thing so didn't really care.

3) Autocross - There were three short tracks setup and you were put in a group for one of the tracks. You were give three two-lap runs. One run in a 330e and one run in an i4 M50. There was an instructor in the car with you. That said, with only two laps on a small course, not much instruction time. The third run you were randomly assigned a 330e or i40 (you could not choose) but you could choose to either drive or be a passenger while the instructor drove.

For the most part, it was fun, particularly since it was free. I was there for a little over two hours. If you wanted to test drive all the SUV models, you could definitely have spent more time there. I would have liked to have more of the non-SUV's to test drive. That and each run should have more than two laps. Barely get to feel the car before it's done.

Hope that summary helps someone!
Great summary of this year's UDE. I did the Washington DC event at RFK stadium. Similar setup except I don't recall seeing the off road component.

On the laps, I agree a couple of laps is too short. But I got an extra lap as each lap I was running up behind the car in front of me even though they tried to space out the intervals between sending cars out to prevent this. I guess I drive too fast.
Appreciate 0