E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Test drove the C63 today ......WOW

12-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #67
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The C63 with the sports package is alot more raw feeling than the M3, I'm sure most here who are commenting on its handling haven't actually tried it.

As for driving with a 'stick'?? Haha, that is such an American thing, in Europe everyone drives a 'stick' it is what you learn to drive in, there is so much more to making a car sporty than having a manual gearbox, you don't get out of an F430 and say 'Yeah not bad, but my 328i with a manual gearbox is a sportier car."
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #68
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
The C63 with the sports package is alot more raw feeling than the M3, I'm sure most here who are commenting on its handling haven't actually tried it.

As for driving with a 'stick'?? Haha, that is such an American thing, in Europe everyone drives a 'stick' it is what you learn to drive in, there is so much more to making a car sporty than having a manual gearbox, you don't get out of an F430 and say 'Yeah not bad, but my 328i with a manual gearbox is a sportier car."
+1 Agreed.

Especially now with the "Premium" Performance Package (or whatever it's called) the new C63 should be able to handle any of the other super sedans. Up here at least, it is very competitively priced as well. Loaded with the premium performance package it's currently $10K cheaper than an equally equipped M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #69
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post

Very true, I suppose it's because the automatic is as common in the US as a manual is over here.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #70
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

fwiw, the new E63 has the MCT which is quite nice. Perhaps it'll be an option someday on the C.

Last month I drove a work mate's new 997 with PDK. After rowing my own gears for many years in various sports car incarnations, I prefer the PDK. It was a helluva a lot quicker and more precise than with the time it takes my brain neurons to order my feet and hands to do what's needed. And keeping two hands on the wheel at all times is a good thing.

MT for the old school style of driving is fine. I like it, too. But for speed and efficiency (esp on the track) the new gearboxes are the way to go, imho.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #71
MHP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MHP S2 C63, MHP S1 997 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
fwiw, the new E63 has the MCT which is quite nice. Perhaps it'll be an option someday on the C.

Last month I drove a work mate's new 997 with PDK. After rowing my own gears for many years in various sports car incarnations, I prefer the PDK. It was a helluva a lot quicker and more precise than with the time it takes my brain neurons to order my feet and hands to do what's needed. And keeping two hands on the wheel at all times is a good thing.

MT for the old school style of driving is fine. I like it, too. But for speed and efficiency (esp on the track) the new gearboxes are the way to go, imho.
The PDKs are sick.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #72
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post

Not to defeat the C63 here.

SPaws. I have read a few reviews of the PDK insisting on shift, shift, shift, if you will. Unless you use manual change the box wants to take you to 7th gear going stop light to stop light.

Your input would be appreciated.
      12-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #73
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Not to defeat the C63 here.

SPaws. I have read a few reviews of the PDK insisting on shift, shift, shift, if you will. Unless you use manual change the box wants to take you to 7th gear going stop light to stop light.

Your input would be appreciated.
PDK is similar to all DCT gearboxes in that on light throttle and in the normal setting it will place economy as the priority and thus try and get to top gear as quickly as possible. But in sportplus mode the gearbox holds on to the gear to relatively high revs and if you have the throttle pressed beyond half way it will hold out till maximum revs before shifting, also in this mode it will downshift when it appropriate.

It behaves no different than any other DCT only a little better.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #74
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Gonzo: what Footie says.

My AMG 7 G Tronic does the same. For daily econo driving it insists on shift, shift, shift. In sport mode the points are much higher and you can set it to keep revs up (by forcing it to go no higher than 5th gear, for example, etc..) It's also adaptive. Downshifts work the same way. And the MCTs/DCTs/PDKs are way better than my 7G.

My point was not meant to be a MCT versus DCT versus PDK post, but simply that the cars are quicker with these gearboxes than rowing your own. There's no way I can shift as fast with the time it takes for my brain to tell my body parts what to do, and then push the pedal and move the stick, etc..

Lots of people here argue for MTs and claim that auto boxes are just slush boxes, etc., etc.. I felt the same a while back, but it doesn't mean you're a girlie man if you don't have a MT. Not anymore. That notion needs to go out the window, imho.

Despite that I really do like to row my own (it's enjoyable and I learned to t+h and trail brake, etc., with a MT), I've come to appreciate these latest autoboxes. A little bit of relearning on my part and they function quite well, imho. And they are quicker. Plus you can still shift them fully manually if you prefer.

They will get better and better with each new incarnation.

Just my 2 cents.....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #75
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks to you both.

I don't know when I am going to drive the PDK. When I was in the store this summer asking about the Pan they wanted me to come out and try the PDK in a 997S. I declined, I know what they were up to, but wish I had now.

The sales manager and head F/I guy were telling me just what you 2 said.

"We were sceptical but now it is our demo cars trans of choice" nuff said coming from P guys.

Them and y'all.

I will be hard pressed to get away from MT in a car where it is offered. Big hold back re: C63 for me. An S or CL is one thing but a better box would be nice/according to my reading for the C.
      12-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #76
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
The PDK in the 997 and Panamera feel slightly different, not much but in my opinion the 997 is sweeter in auto mode.

BTW the Panamera is still something else to drive compared to the competition, not necessarily better but definitely different, more sporty and focused than any of the others. But it's still not the prettiest girl on the street which is understating the fact, frankly what good is it to have the best girl in bed if you are a shamed to be seen with her in the street. That's kind of how I felt in the Panamera.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #77
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
I'm looking in to getting an 2009. Trying to find out what's a good price to pick one up for. Anyone have any suggestions?
During the fall most people were able to get the car loaded (minus PP) for 55k OTD. I would like to believe you could get it even cheaper now...
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #78
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The PDK in the 997 and Panamera feel slightly different, not much but in my opinion the 997 is sweeter in auto mode.

BTW the Panamera is still something else to drive compared to the competition, not necessarily better but definitely different, more sporty and focused than any of the others. But it's still not the prettiest girl on the street which is understating the fact, frankly what good is it to have the best girl in bed if you are a shamed to be seen with her in the street. That's kind of how I felt in the Panamera.
I would dance with her for everyone to see. I like it.
      12-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #79
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

I will be hard pressed to get away from MT in a car where it is offered. Big hold back re: C63 for me. An S or CL is one thing but a better box would be nice/according to my reading for the C.
Yeah, which is why I mentioned earlier that they need to have the MCT available in the C. It had some early issues when it was in the SLs, but that seems to be straightened out. Once the E63 with MCT becomes an established seller, I think they'll go ahead and put the MCT in the C63. They will have to if they want to compete with the M3, etc., imho.

Quote:
I would dance with her for everyone to see. I like it.
Love is blind.

It's actually kind of cute in person. More like a Teutonic farm girl than an Italian sex kitten. It has a good personality and, as Footie says, is hot where it really counts.
Appreciate 0