E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Recommended Seating Location North America Tracks

09-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Recommended Seating Location North America Tracks

ok so i am going to start a thread on recommended seating locations for NORTH AMERICA TRACKS. my goal here is to help people such as myself who travel out of state or to tracks they have never attended. this will be based off my experiences and my not be "the best" by everyones standards but are what i have recommended from my experiences. i will also include an opinion if the track is worth out of state viewing meaning is it worth traveling specifically for the race.. i encourage anyone to add their opinion. i will format it in the following below as the best place for the START may not necessarily be the best place for the entire race or the FINISH. i hope some find this helpfull.

RECOMMENDED PARKING:

RECOMMENDED TICKET GA OR GRANDSTAND:

RECOMMENDED START VIEWING:

RECOMMENDED GENERAL VIEWING:

RECOMMENDED FINISH VIEWING:

Recommended Out Of State Travel:

Last edited by Sebringjetta; 09-23-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

TOYOTA LONG BEACH GRAND PRIX

Recommended Parking: the Pike Garage. Be Advised Security Patrols Garage So Pre-race Drinking/tailgating Should Be Done Inside Of Car. If Outside Of Vehicle Security Will Ask You To Exit Garage. Garage Is Right Next To The Main Entrance And Closest To Freeway To Avoid Event Traffic

Recommended Ticket Ga Or Grandstand: 100% Ga. This Is A Grand Prix City Track So There Are Multiple Places You Will Want To Be At Different Points Of The Race. Also Grandstands On Straights Will Only Offer Split Second Views Due To Speed Of The Cars Then They Will Be Out Of Sight.

Recommended Start Viewing: Turn 1 Or Turn 2 Are The Places You Will Want To Be For The Start. Turn 1 And 2 Are Extremely Tight And With The Amount Of Cars On Track At One Time There Will Also Be An Interesting View.

Recommended General Viewing: Turn 1 , 2 , 8. Turn 8 Is The Hidden Jewel If You Will. There Is A Restaurant With Elevated Viewing And Places To Sit. The Turn Is Very Tight So You Really Hear The Car Get On Throttle From Slow To Fast Making That Turn A Great Experience. Turn 2 Is The Tightest With A Beautiful View And Also Water Side Offering A Breeze. Turn 1 Is The 1st Turn After The Long Straight So Going To Offer Exciting Situations. Also Turn 6 I Recommended When 1st Entering The Track.

Recommended Finish Viewing: 5 And 6 Grandstand Area. Its The End Of The Straight Right After The Finish But Gives You Easy Access To The Exit And There Are Huge Monitors Giving You A View Of The Finish Via Tv Screen. You Will Not Want To Be At The Finish Line Or Pit Area At The End Of The Race. Long Walk And Will Be Crazy Trying To Reach The Exits.

Recommended Out Of State Travel: 100% Recommend This Race. There Is So Much To See And Do. Multiple Race Series All Weekend, Full Access To Pits And Garages, Huge Selection Of Vendors, Good Viewing, The Overall Experience Is A Must. No One Has Ever Gone To This Event And Regretted It. Pure Excitment!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebringjetta; 09-23-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

LAGUNA SECA

RECOMMENDED PARKING: PARKING IS STRAIGHT FORWARD AND THE STAFF WILL TELL YO WHERE TO PARK.

RECOMMENDED TICKET GA OR GRANDSTAND: 100% GA. THIS TRACK HAS EXTREME ELEVATION CHANGES WITH MULTIPLE AREAS WHERE YOU WILL WANT TO SEE!!!

RECOMMENDED START VIEWING: TURN 2 HANDS DOWN!!!! LONG STRAIGHT LEADS INTO A DOUBLE APEX TURN THAT IS TIGHT AND WILL ALWAYS PROVIDE EXCITEMENT!!!! THERE IS A DRY GRASS HILL THAT IS ELEVATED ABOVE THE TRACK THAT OVERLOOKS TURN 2 AND OFFERS GREAT VIEWS OF THE LONG STRAIGHT AS WELL AS TURN 3 AND 4.

RECOMMENDED GENERAL VIEWING: THERE IS A DRY GRASS HILL THAT IS ELEVATED ABOVE THE TRACK THAT OVERLOOKS TURN 2 AND OFFERS GREAT VIEWS OF THE LONG STRAIGHT AS WELL AS TURN 3 AND 4. I USUALLY SIT A MAJORITY OF THE RACE ON THE GRASS HILL ABOVE TURN 2. BUT IT IS MANDATORY EVERYONE SEES THE CORK SCREW TURN 7 AND 8. AMAZING VIEW WITH CRAZY ELEVATION CHANGES. THIS IS A MUST SEE!!!

RECOMMENDED FINISH VIEWING: DRY GRASS HILL THAT IS ELEVATED ABOVE THE TRACK THAT OVERLOOKS TURN 2 BUT OFFERS DIRECT VIEW OF THE FINISH LINE AS WELL AS FIREWORKS. QUICK ACCESS TO EXIT AS WELL. THIS IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST PLACE TO SIT.

Recommended Out Of State Travel: 100% A MUST SEE FOR ALL RACE FANS. THIS TRACK PRETTY MUCH SELLS ITSELF AS FAR AS WHAT IT HAS TO OFFER AND NEEDS NO EXPLANATION. TRACK IS WORLD RENOWN, CRAZY ELEVATION CHANGES, GREAT VIEWING, MINUTES FROM CANARY ROW IN DOWNTOW MONTEREY. MONTEREY OFFERS SO MUCH TO DO AND OVERALL IS AN AMAZING PLACE.

JUST A HEADS UP THE MOTO GP IS MORE OF A SURVIVAL TEST. COMPLETE CHAOS, CRAZY PARTY ENVIRONMENT... UNLIKE ANY OTHER RACE. PARTY CONTINUES ON CANARY ROW AFTER THE RACE INTO LATE NIGHT
Attached Images

09-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

At laguna I like being on the big middle hill. Allows viewing of a lot of track at same time. Recommend hiking all over, I did and saw whole track from inside and outside perspective. Took time to view at every corner. Lot of climbing though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
At laguna I like being on the big middle hill. Allows viewing of a lot of track at same time. Recommend hiking all over, I did and saw whole track from inside and outside perspective. Took time to view at every corner. Lot of climbing though.
lmao LAGUNA will def let you know what kind of shape you are in but nothing like what i experienced at COTA!!!! im getting ready to post COTA next
      09-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS AKA COTA

RECOMMENDED PARKING: PARKING B OR D. A LARGE AMOUNT OF A WAS USED FOR ASSIGNED OR RESERVED. B &D OFFER THE BEST ENTRANCE TO THE TRACK WITH DIRECT ACCESS TO VENDORS AND FOOD BUT IS DIRT AND NOT PAVED AND WILL BE MUDDY IF RAINING.

RECOMMENDED TICKET GA OR GRANDSTAND: GA COST AS MUCH AS GRANDSTAND. GRAND STAND IS RECOMMENDED AS YOU WILL WANT TO REST YOUR FEET. THIS TRACK IS HUGE AS ITS A F1 TRACK AND YOU WILL WANT A NICE SEAT TO RELAX AT SOME POINT. THE GRAND STANDS ARE ACTUAL SEATS AND NOT BLEACHER. NICE TOUCH AFTER A LONG DAY. ALSO GRASS WILL BE WET DEPENDING ON RAIN SO MAKES IT HARD TO SIT IN THE GRASS.

RECOMMENDED START VIEWING: TURN 1 IS BEST FOR THE START. TIGHT TURN AFTER THE LONG STRAIGHT WITH CLOSE VIEW FOR ALL THE START ACTION. ALSO BECAUSE OF THE EXTREME ELEVATION IT OFFERS A GREAT VIEW OF THE ENTIRE TRACK.

RECOMMENDED GENERAL VIEWING: THE STAFF WAS PRETTY GOOD ABOUT LETTING US CHECK OUT ALL THE SECTIONS AS THIS WAS NOT A F1 EVENT. WE FOUND THAT TURN 15 WAS BEST. LOUD, WITH TIGHT TURNS AND CLOSE TO THE TRACK FOR GREAT PHOTO OPPS. ALSO THERE ARE 2 SCREENS TO KEEP YOU UP TO DATE ON RACE INFO AND ACTION.

RECOMMENDED FINISH VIEWING: TURN 1 WAS GREAT AS YOU HAVE FULL VIEW OF THE FINISH LINE AND TRACK. ITS NOT AT THE FINISH LINE BUT STILL HAS A NICE EFFECT AND VIEW.

Recommended Out Of State Travel: OK SO WE ARE FROM CA AND NOT USED TO THE HUMIDITY AND EXTREME CONDITIONS SO IT WAS A EXPERIENCE AND HAVE TO SAY YOU ARE ALWAYS STICKY, HOT AND SWEATY. IF YOUR FROM A STATE WITH THOSE CONDITIONS THEN ITS PROBABLY NO BIG DEAL.THE TRACK IS A F1 CIRCUIT SO THE TRACK IS HUGE AND SPREAD OUT MAKING IT A WORK OUT TO SEE DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE CIRCUIT. IF IT RAINS THERE WILL BE A LOT OF MUD AT VIEWING AREAS AS WELL AS PARKING LOTS. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GET UP CLOSE TO THE PIT GARAGES LIKE YOU CAN AT LAGUNA SECA. THIS WAS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AS WE CAME TO GET CLOSE AND SEE THE WEC PROTOTYPES AND IF THEY ARE NOT RACING THEY ARE IN THE GARAGES WHERE YOU HAVE NO ACCESS. MOST OF THE STAFF AT THE EVENT HAD NO CLUE AS TO WHAT WAS GOING ON, WHAT YOU COULD AND COULDNT ACCESS, AND FOR THE MOST PART WAS UNABLE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS FOOD SELECTION WAS SMALL, AND FOR THE TUDOR WEC EVENT THERE WERE VERY LITTLE VENDORS. OVER ALL I PERSONALLY ENJOYED IT AND WAS GLAD I COULD KNOCK IT OFF MY LIST. IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A RACE AND THIS IS YOUR 1ST IT MAY NOT GIVE YOU THE BEST IMPRESSION. BUT THE TRACK IS LIT FOR NIGHT RACES MAKING THAT A NICE EXPERIENCE AND WAS A FIRST FOR ME. THIS TRACK WAS MORE EXTREME FROM CONDITIONS, SIZE, AND OVERALL EXPERIENCE...
Attached Images

09-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Almost need two different write ups for COTA. F1 weekend is just a completely different animal. But as far as seating goes, Turn 15 complex is best. Although I sit in main grandstand, few more amenities like the Velocity Lounge. Watching the start of race from the front straight is a must. Then you can make you way to your seats. Grandstands are on lock down too, no going in or out without tickets. F1 weekend be prepared for people, lots and lots of people. Parking lot A is good for getting in and out of track quicker.

Oh and the humid weather you experience during Tudor, that is far from the norm. Austin in summer and late summer months are hot/dry. Climate usually more resembles desert climate. Funny thing is the city hadn't seen rain for months until last weekend. That hurricane that hit Cabo sent some crazy amount of rain.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Have not been to Long Beach race in a few years. Use to walk to that race, lived in a high rise on the water. Always sat at turn 10. Good for viewing them complete passes at end of back straight and the carnage usually at the famous hairpin.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Almost need two different write ups for COTA. F1 weekend is just a completely different animal. But as far as seating goes, Turn 15 complex is best. Although I sit in main grandstand, few more amenities like the Velocity Lounge. Watching the start of race from the front straight is a must. Then you can make you way to your seats. Grandstands are on lock down too, no going in or out without tickets. F1 weekend be prepared for people, lots and lots of people. Parking lot A is good for getting in and out of track quicker.

Oh and the humid weather you experience during Tudor, that is far from the norm. Austin in summer and late summer months are hot/dry. Climate usually more resembles desert climate. Funny thing is the city hadn't seen rain for months until last weekend. That hurricane that hit Cabo sent some crazy amount of rain.
thank you for the info... the main grand stands were the only ones that were locked down. o exceptions. and as far as the rain that makes sense as when it rained it rained!!!!!!! heavy down poor!!!! everyone kept stating F1 is pretty crazy. and the major crowds does not sound fun to me at all!!!!
      09-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have not been to Long Beach race in a few years. Use to walk to that race, lived in a high rise on the water. Always sat at turn 10. Good for viewing them complete passes at end of back straight and the carnage usually at the famous hairpin.
i sat at 10 a few times.. my only complaint was that its like a maze trying to get to and from in you come in from the main entrance. last year thats where they were holding drft.. not my thing at all but it attracted alot of people to that side of the track
      09-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
thank you for the info... the main grand stands were the only ones that were locked down. o exceptions. and as far as the rain that makes sense as when it rained it rained!!!!!!! heavy down poor!!!! everyone kept stating F1 is pretty crazy. and the major crowds does not sound fun to me at all!!!!
Yeah it is a bit crazy, especially on Sunday.

As you can see from these pics of turn 1, it is quite different from last weekend.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it is a bit crazy, especially on Sunday.

As you can see from these pics of turn 1, it is quite different from last weekend.

ill pass!!!!
      09-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
ill pass!!!!
More hot ladies to choose from, just say your a development driver or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
More hot ladies to choose from, just say your a development driver or something.
lmao actually i was wearing a BMW MOTORSPORTS SHIRT and had my BMW MOTORSPORTS BACKPACK and people thought i was part of the team
      09-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Who sits? Gotta get up and walk around. Road courses aren't NASCRAP.

Best infield - Sebring
Best Bikini Contest at 2PM Saturday during the race - Sebring
Best track to do serious photography from outside the fence: VIR turns 3-5 and anywhere leading to hog pen.
Easiest to walk: Indy. It's flat and you don't trip over bodies like at Sebring.
Good place to watch cars get airborne over curbs: MidOhio Madness and uphill out of Thunder Valley.

I have pics to prove the bikini contest

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Who sits? Gotta get up and walk around. Road courses aren't NASCRAP.

Best infield - Sebring
Best Bikini Contest at 2PM Saturday during the race - Sebring
Best track to do serious photography from outside the fence: VIR turns 3-5 and anywhere leading to hog pen.
Easiest to walk: Indy. It's flat and you don't trip over bodies like at Sebring.
Good place to watch cars get airborne over curbs: MidOhio Madness and uphill out of Thunder Valley.

I have pics to prove the bikini contest
glad someone posted sebring.... ill be heading there next year!!! or VIR, havnt decided yet
      09-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

So is 12hrs Sebring worth traveling for? Or would Daytona 24hr be better, now that it isn't just Grand-Am.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So is 12hrs Sebring worth traveling for? Or would Daytona 24hr be better, now that it isn't just Grand-Am.
i heard viewing is somewhat tough as its all flat but cant speak from experience.. i imagine its a pretty cool racing environment
      09-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lmao actually i was wearing a BMW MOTORSPORTS SHIRT and had my BMW MOTORSPORTS BACKPACK and people thought i was part of the team
Next time you go to a Continental Tire race, hit up Multimatic Motorsports in the paddock. Billy Johnson drives for them, he is a member on M3post.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #20
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
i heard viewing is somewhat tough as its all flat but cant speak from experience.. i imagine its a pretty cool racing environment
There are spectator mounds along the track. Rent a motor home and sit on top for the best view.

Everyone should experience Sebring once. It's like a carnival of motorsports. The only thing now is the DP buzzkill. Sebring was much better when the Pugs and Audis ran along with Mazda in LMP1.

I'll wait and see who's running next year but a lot of teams aren't goung to run p2 cars since the balance of power favors DP (aka France Family Specials). They're boring pigs to watch. GT is much better.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #21
Overpar56
Rep

Not sure what turn this was at Sebring, but lots of cars got air off the curbs. From a photographer's point of view, Sebring sucks because of most shots have a motor home in the background. Only a few places can you get a decent background. But then...

Like I said, the Sebring bikini contest is pretty good and this one didn't make the top 3.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #22
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next time you go to a Continental Tire race, hit up Multimatic Motorsports in the paddock. Billy Johnson drives for them, he is a member on M3post.