E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thick white smoke at low RPM

06-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3, 2007 335i e92

Thick white smoke at low RPM

I acquired a 90k 335i and it has a smoking issue, it generally presents itself when creeping along at idle or <1500RPM. If I am at a stop at rev the engine the car will smoke as well.
The smoke is white in color and can be quite thick, smells of burning oil to me.
The smoke is more pronounced when the oil is up to temp.

The car is basically a FBO w/stock turbos running MHD stage 2, index 11 injectors all around.

The car smoked before AND after these parts were installed:
- OEM coils
- New VC/VCG (Elring)
- Flapper valve
- OFHG/Oil Cooler gasket
- Walnut blasting valves/cleaned head PCV ports (none were blocked up)
- RB PCV
- Low side OCC
- New (Dorman brand) turbos (previous owner did those..)

Compression wise it's 175-180psi on a cold engine.

When I took the intake off for walnut blasting the valves were not just carboned up but absolutely covered in oil as well, they looked terrible. I also can see what appears to be oily sludge on top of some pistons.

Along the head gasket perimeter around cyl. 3 I see what may be oil and/or coolant in small amounts that builds up after a drive. I also find my catch can with 2-3ozs of clear water in it after only 50miles of driving sometimes with no notable loss of coolant.

A recent oil change showed no "milkshake" oil and the coolant in the reservoir doesn't appear to have oil in it.

What am I looking at here? Valve stems seals, piston rings?

I am at the point of buying a refurbished engine but for all I know it's something else like leaky injectors or something I can do like stem seals, just quite lost.

Is there anything I could view/log via MHD that could point me in the right direction?
Thanks for any help.
      04-18-2024, 05:10 PM   #2
semper
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Hello, have you ever figured out what it was?
Appreciate 0